K-402 in wood!

kodomo

Oh I'm dying here! :unsure::(  I want to build K402 out of wood. please someone come up with a plan. I have a big vaccum press. it's pretty easy to form some layers of 1/8" plywood on a mold using vacuum press.

Edited by Arash

not quite understand how to show drawings, if everything is done from the original horn. Sorry for my English.

Were you able to take measurements and record your findings before you started construction?  Those might be helpful to the people here who are interested in replicating what you have done (which, by the way, is fantastic!).

it's not only the beauty, but the sound has changed. The attenuator crossover had to raise by 2 dB volume driver. I think this is due to the fact that the original horn resonated, these resonances and "cried" so that had to make mid quieter. The sound plywood horns was "calm", "fatter" s "tangibly". Speed is not lost, you can listen to everything from classical to rock.

• Like 3

it's not only the beauty, but the sound has changed. The attenuator crossover had to raise by 2 dB volume driver. I think this is due to the fact that the original horn resonated, these resonances and "cried" so that had to make mid quieter. The sound plywood horns was "calm", "fatter" s "tangibly". Speed is not lost, you can listen to everything from classical to rock.

I would like to hear PSE-144 and K402 in a A/B test. I think PSE-144 will outperform K402.

"does anyone know if it is possible to put K402 in a 3D scanner?"

Sure (but you will go broke).

"I would like to hear PSE-144 and K402 in a A/B test. I think PSE-144 will outperform K402."

Might.

I intend to build a 27hz 100dB+ dual 12 PPSL crossed at 300hz to that style of mid-HF, it will be the same size as the LaScala.

unity28.jpg

This is William Cowan's copy of a Danley product, I would use smaller drivers, perhaps 6-1/2's or even 5's (the Danley uses 8's and goes to 90hz). I can make the horn elliptical out of FG and resin.

Edited by djk
  • Like 1

The attenuator crossover had to raise by 2 dB volume driver. I think this is due to the fact that the original horn resonated, these resonances and "cried" so that had to make mid quieter.

The open and more compliant surface finish of wood attenuates, and the well-known effects of irregularities of the throat area will also attenuate, unfortunately.  I'd like to see data in A-B fashion rather than opinions.

About elliptical-mouth horns:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/256220-axis-null-horn-speakers.html

There are no acoustic benefits that I see over rectangular mouth horns, in fact, there aren't any advantages that I see.

As far as the PSE-144:  I'd like to hear five drivers do better than one driver--over the same bandwidth.   The crossovers must be really good, as well as the dimensional tolerances.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

There is a possibility that the holes in the synergy horn will cause some audible diffraction and a poor impulse response. Geddes pointed this out in a discussion. Tom Danley said he was going to present better measurements with higher resolution. That was at least a year ago and he never showed anything. That might indicate something.

It's the extremely close midrange drivers next to the apex tweeter compression driver that I see are likely problem areas in practice to get right in the Unity or Synergy horn design--the sole difference between these two differently patented designs by two different companies apparently being in the method of choosing the frequency of crossovers and the passive crossover network time alignment of drivers in the crossover regions.

The third tier of woofers in the typical Unity or Synergy horn is much more forgiving in terms of dimensional errors in the horn or driver locations, and crossover time alignment precision.

Chris

Edited by Chris A