K-402 in wood!

kodomo

BTW, I own 4 Sound Physics Labs Unity Summation Aperture horns (sold 10 of them last year to PA guys). I also own 3 Danley SH-50 horns. I now have a pair of K-402's with newer K1133 drivers (the smaller ones). I plan on either getting TAD 4002's or just adding tweeters like I did before. I will design and build a straight axis bass horn to go with the K402's based on Danley technology. I will also create wood versions of the 402's for myself and offer the plastic originals for sale later. It will be a good year for comparisons, listening and measuring.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 2

Why would you create a wood version of the 402?

For me it would be looks(not that I don't like the look of the black ones), unless for some reason they did sound different. Plus the more I build, the more I enjoy building things, so building them would be half the fun.

offer the plastic originals for sale later

Keep me in mind when you do.

• Like 1

Why would you create a wood version of the 402?   You have had the best of everything now from both Klipsch and Danley now..........It almost sounds like you are still not satisfied.  What's up with your music listening?

It has nothing to do with being satisfied, but to have the ability to compare for my own education.

Like you, I want to have more than one system. Plus, with Danley stuff being so rare, the only way to hear the best of the best against the best of the best is to own it. By the way, as of today, I'm also getting some TAD 4002's for my K-402's.

What make the SH 50's so special is that they are flat to 40 Hz. in my room with a few peaks to tame. IOW, lots of bass from a horn that is smaller than a K-402 alone But with full Constant Directivity down to 100 Hz, along with linear phase. It's a spoiler. My killer subs don't come in until 40 hz., just like a Jube setup except 1/4 the amount of space total. Simply incredible.

I want the 402's  in wood because I want to create a stunning looking pair while maintaining the same sound. I will use Danley Synergy tech to make a better bass horn than the Jube, or the Qpie, which, hopefully, won't be impossible since I have a pair already to work from in creating a larger version for bass only. I will make a larger pair that hopefully gets to 30-600 to mate with the TAD. If not, I can always build or buy Jubes, or MWM's or make better Quarter Pies. Bass, midbass stuff is easy with all the tools at my disposal. I don't think Roy will be upset with me for doing that, as he wasn't upset when Rigma made the first "pretty pair" of Jube clones.

I have figured out about 3 different ways to make wooden ones, so it's part of my plan for this year. So my real 402's will be for sale after I'm done at a fair price.

The sound I have now is fantastic, and I would be happy just listening to music into infinity this way, HT or 2.1....................but I do want another system for strictly 2-way with sub in another room. Or I have the option to compare several systems.  The cost of ownership is part of my education, and I have been able to do this with, essentially, free rent for the last 8 years during this educational sonic quest and selling off stuff I need to sell to go forward.

No one has ever complained about the things I have designed or tweaked, like the Super Heresy's, which I will have 3 for sale soon. I sold my first pair of K-402's because I needed the money at the time to try the original Danley stuff, which is still amazing after 17 years. How else could I ever know for sure?

Things change over time, but I want the sound of Pro gear with stunning wood grain in the process. I'm sure everyone would agree this is an honorable goal. However, this could change too. Life happens to you when you are busy making other plans, right?

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Keep me in mind when you do.

I'm quite confident I would have no problems selling them at fair market value, when and if. There are way more people that LURK on this forum than there are people who post. You would be surprised at how many people come out of the woodwork with their PM's when a good deal comes along with the R&D already done for them, which is what I usually offer.

• Like 1

I may have access to a 3D laser scanner and a million dollar 5 axis CNC machine after next week. They usually carve piston engines with it, but I'm sure it would be a cakewalk to do a huge block of mahogany, who knows. That is something I would NOT share and there would only be one pair in the world like that, if, if, if.

"""I'm quite confident I would have no problems selling them at fair market value, when and if. There are way more people that LURK on this forum than there are people who post. You would be surprised at how many people come out of the woodwork with their PM's when a good deal comes along with the R&D already done for them, which is what I usually offer."""

Folks keep in mind that I just sold these to Claude at a great deal.  These K402's with 1133's are Klipsch flagship stuff.  I would be disappointed if they become a product of flipping.  If they come up for sale again, I would hope that great deal would be extended to other forum members.

jc

• Like 7

"""I'm quite confident I would have no problems selling them at fair market value, when and if. There are way more people that LURK on this forum than there are people who post. You would be surprised at how many people come out of the woodwork with their PM's when a good deal comes along with the R&D already done for them, which is what I usually offer."""

Folks keep in mind that I just sold these to Claude at a great deal.  These K402's with 1133's are Klipsch flagship stuff.  I would be disappointed if they become a product of flipping.  If they come up for sale again, I would hope that great deal would be extended to other forum members.

Yessir...........agree completely.

jc

Yes indeed a great deal and a $200 weekend trip. Although I wouldn't count on that "sale" happening too quick, if ever. I have lots of other projects before I get to wood K-402's and they'd have to measure exactly the same as the originals, and even then, I would probably keep them in my family. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

For those who live in Europe and are interested in a wood horn, I may be able to help later this year. However, it will not be cheap and this will be another horn design than K402. The goal is to produce something slightly better, which is possible IMO. If it doesn't become an improvement I don't see any point in offering it. The designer is well known but I will not reveal his name at this moment.

I'm also working on a midbass horn in wood and this should be ready within a few months. Here's a picture of a prototype.

post-57108-0-60660000-1452886117_thumb.j

• Like 2

The midbass horn has a mouth that's 120 cm wide and 85 cm high.

The top horn will be about 1 m wide and 76 cm high, but that may change. The vertical directivity will go lower than K402.

So if that is how big the mouths are how big are the throats?

Sorry for the confusion on the question.

• 4 months later...
"does anyone know if it is possible to put K402 in a 3D scanner?" Sure (but you will go broke).

I may be able to pay the cost if it's reasonable so maybe one of you guys could ask how much would it cost