K-402 in wood!

kodomo

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/22/2016 at 1:27 AM, djk said:

I'll ask a friend in Baton Rouge if his son will do it, he would need to borrow a horn to scan.

I'm still looking for K402 details. I couldn't buy a pair from US after a year of communication with Panacea Engineering so I just gave it up. Recently I found a good way to cut plywood or MDF or any other material with a CNC milliong machine so build horns. Now I can build K402 with any material needed. I think a BB plywood K402 will look fantastic. I'm talking about 0.02mm of accuracy on the milling machine. if there is anyone who has K402 at hand and can take it to a 3D scanning office, I will pay for the scanning. I really want to hear how it sounds on top of a Jamboree

• Like 1

On 1/8/2016 at 5:22 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I may have access to a 3D laser scanner and a million dollar 5 axis CNC machine after next week. They usually carve piston engines with it, but I'm sure it would be a cakewalk to do a huge block of mahogany, who knows. That is something I would NOT share and there would only be one pair in the world like that, if, if, if.

if you can provide me K402 details I may be able to build a pair for you if you can find a way for shipping

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also would like to be able to make a pair that are just like the 402...as importing them to Mexico appears to be pretty expensive with import duties, plus VAT which is all calculated by including shipping costs. I would like to do this as I believe a wooden one or fiberglass one will be better than the one I made is.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

On 7/6/2017 at 5:54 AM, efzauner said:

All it would take is for someone to trace the outside on paper... take off 1/16 or so and viola you have the inside shape... 

how would you draw an arc on a paper?! you'll be only drawing the area of it not the arc geometry

On 7/9/2017 at 4:28 AM, Arash said:

how would you draw an arc on a paper?! you'll be only drawing the area of it not the arc geometry

The sides have a simple curve on them, not a compound curve,  that can be flattened, when you then put them together, they take on the curve of the piece beside. Try it with some thin cardboard. 

On 7/5/2017 at 1:12 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Hmmm.....cloning a klipsch engineered horn for sale....may have to make some calls. 

I agree with this. You should protect your intellectual property. As a photographer, it would be impossible for me to say how much I've been ripped off by clients who violate copyright law because of the ease of scanning my photographs.

If I ever make a pair out of wood, it would be a slight performance compromise for the sake of aesthetics and for personal use only. Meanwhile, I'm on my second pair of K-402's with TADs.

Rigma comes to mind here. I have been to his house, and there's a man who "did it right," in terms of cloning for personal use and AESTHETICS. But other than a pair of pretty Jubilee bass bind clones, he has more factory built Klipsch speakers than anyone I"ve ever met.

Much like I buy original music so the original artist get his/her cut, ever though digital copies are easy, it just isn't right to steal intellectual property and sell it.

On 7/9/2017 at 9:57 PM, Marvel said:

You can use a Microsoft Kinect and free software to make pretty accurate 3D scans. Even if you have to edit the data sets, that is possible.

Bruce

Proof positive that the world is full of "armchair quarterbacks."

Is that considered a positive or negative? I've looked at this before, and it's not considered a very high rez dsvice, but some researchers used one on a huge T-rex skull with a .5 mm resolution. I would consider that pretty good.

Bruce

19 minutes ago, Marvel said:

some researchers used one on a huge T-rex skull with a .5 mm resolution

Bruce,

You would need finished part form precision to about that level to handle the required throat geometries (i.e., rule of thumb is 1/10 wavelength at 10-20 kHz) in order to have HF directivity control to compare with a real K-402.  That's a pretty tough tolerance to attain on the finished part, even if the measurement device has that level of accuracy.  Measurement accuracy is only half the solution...at best.  Fabrication is another issue.

Chris