what's the ultimate sub build? :)

Paducah Home Theater

im interested in hearing more about this. I'm about to have eight up front and two behind nearfield. Wondering how the two 24's compared.

One of the 24's may have a slight edge in spl over two 18's.  No difference in SQ.  I would take the 8 subs over two 24's.  There will be better or near complete room coverage, better FR, ect.  Now 4 of the 24's is a different picture. :)  Also, much easier to match up a amp for the 18's. 

Edited by derrickdj1

We demo'd scene 4 of Lone Survivor (where the Chinooks and Apaches deal out some serious bass when inserting the 4 man Seal team). For me personally sitting at the MLP, the 24s made an overall experience...ie...the whole house was shaking...upstairs, pictures were falling off the walls. With the measuring equipment on hand, the 24s dealt out reference level 6Hz bass and it was ridiculous. 

When switched back to the 8 SIs and 2 HSTs nearfield, the bass felt closer and more powerful...and his system was flat to 10Hz.

To me, I want the nearfield subs...almost regardless of what I have up front. Having 2 HST 18s firing in your back (and I mean less than 6") being fed by 2000 watts RMS is awesome. The first row of seating where the nearfield 18s fired into was much more powerful than the second row with no nearfield. 

A happy compromise might be a single 24 up front with dual 18s nearfield. At least in that room, that's what I'd want. But that's just me. 

Nice, local wood shop said not only do they not have any of that double refined MDF in stock like they said, but they have no idea when they'll have any come in.  Good thing I called I guess, I was ready to head out the door.  Only thing I can get any time soon is normal MDF or normal plywood.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Apparently Menards carries the good MDF without the weird special order mess, plus it's cheaper.  Only $5 more than the normal kind.  

http://www.menards.com/main/mdf-panels/3-4-x-49-x-97-excel-premium-mdf-panel/p-1444445345970-c-13338.htm?tid=-8735873979813786874

Picked up a few sheets today. Way stiffer than normal mdf. Pretty danged heavy too. Two people holding each short end where it's spanning 8' and there was just very little sag. Do that with normal mdf and it feels quite a bit different.

Double-refined cabinet grade MDF vs. the stuff from Home Depot.  If nothing else I'm glad I found this stuff.  Thanks Carl.  Normal MDF is supposed to have a density of 600–660 kg/m³, premium is 700–745 kg/m³.  

12274376_10153413417379401_4703435025789

So Metro, what exactly are you building?  What size box and tuning?  How many?

Current project is for four sealed 18's across the front, then probably some massive boxes behind the seats. Currently thinking about two ported ones tuned to 15 hz. Could be talked into some horns or plain sealed. I can do pretty much anything back there. Four sealed in the front is the only thing that worked out well in terms of the size and shape.

A lot of guys on AVS are using small nearfields.  I think the Infinity 12 in. driver.  They are not massive and easy to locate behind things and have a low profile.  I am enjoying music with the RF 7's full range but hopefully the subs will be back on line in a few days.

Already pretty disappointed in the stench of the MDF.  Stinking up my garage with formyldehyde.  Baltic birch spoiled me I guess.  I can't imagine putting them in my theater room with the way they smell right now.  Going to let them air out for awhile in the garage I guess.  Hopefully priming and painting will seal some of that crap in.  But anyway, these two will be side by side covered in a 100" long piece of black granite.  And no I'm not going to claim it's the ultimate setup, but it does actually fit in the space in question.  

20151127_075631_zpsn1nec2zs.jpg

13 sheets of baltic birch.  !  What the hell.  About talked myself into putting two of these behind me, but 13 sheets???  

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/69710-dougs-dual-gjallarhorn-build.html