what's the ultimate sub build? :)

Paducah Home Theater

If I missed this, sorry, but these are sealed boxes and I'm sure that you've checked for leaks, but high pitched concussive sound is exactly how I would have described the air leak in my RSW 15 when I put it back together.  Hope that it's something as simple as that, but great project.  You'll find it and be pumping out clean bass in no time I'm sure.

These are very tight.  If anything my old box was a little leaky around the gasket but these aren't and they're much worse.  If it was due to an air leak they wouldn't have sounded great at first then without touching anything started sounding like doo doo.  It's so bad at this point that on the intro to Transformers 4, the subsonic rumbling that is so cool just literally sounds like static and very high pitched harmonic distortion.  That amp just ain't right.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Metro, you HT is now famous, good job.

More likely INfamous. ;) There's some ghetto stuff out there now. Several top notch designs including some from Jeff Bagby and Dr. Joseph D'Appolito. Also some that are like  :blink:

• 1 month later...

Just now getting this thing even remotely dialed in, beat my head against the wall with a MiniDSP way too much.  Finally gave up, just need to read up on it more.  Had a couple of nasty nulls due to only having subs in one location but dinking with the crossover and fine tuning the sub distance made them go away for the most part.  

Tried to just turn it up as loud as I could tonight.  At this point I'm a hair under 115 db at 12 hz.  I figure that's good enough considering I never listen to anything above -20.  Need to smooth out the upper part now.  This is with no external EQ, no smoothing, all sealed boxes, at the listening position, blending with the mains at 80 hz.  It's usually flatter but I'm making the amp scream, probably kicking in some soft limiters.  Once I figure out the MiniDSP, just need to kill the little blip at 63 hz more than anything, its the only thing that is annoying, the downward slope above 40 hz is actually more pleasant than being flat, but you can hear that 63 hz blip ramp up on sweeps.  

12495997_10153646877774401_4538560214826

Metro, that blip should not really be audible.  I would try a lower XO of 50 Hz and see what things look like.  I would also finish auto EQ which will further refine the FR before I would start messing peaks/dips or changing other filter settings.  Most likely, after auto EQ, time to just sit back and relax.  Put on a movie and enjoy this Sunday!

• Like 1

I would try a lower XO of 50 Hz and see what things look like.

At least 60 hz produces nulls. I can't say that I can actually hear them, but upon measuring, the graph looks more nasty. Haven't tried below that. It is actually the prettiest at 110 hz but I do not like the sound of the results. If I turn down the volume like 10 db or more and cross over at 110 hz, it is surprisingly flat even with zero MiniDSP magic.

If the mains are on in the above graph, the low end is overly boosted and there may not be a null.  If the low end is elevated due to room gain, it may need to be pull down.  Usually, the avg. spl above the XO is the correct level to shoot for a Flat FR.  A house curve can have an elevated low end tapering off up to 80-100 Hz. 

I would run auto EQ and tweak from there.  The reason I mention playing with the XO is because a change in the XO can eliminate peaks and dips caused by interaction between the mains and sub/s.

This is actually what Audessey set it to in terms of frequency response. There's no external MiniDSP magic but Audessey was ran. I did have to tweak the sub distance because it messed up there, otherwise there's like a 50 db null at 82 hz. I was just playing around at max volume. It's typically a little flatter than this if the volume isn't up quite so high. I still have some dips and peaks around 65 to 90 hz but from 65 on down to 12 is pretty flat. Pretty sure there are some internal soft limiters that is keeping the low end from being any louder, so cranking it beyond that is seemingly resulting in a boost at 40 db.