what's the ultimate sub build? :)

Paducah Home Theater

it is primarily for bragging rights as far as I'm concerned.

Now you're talking! 

I'm kicking around the idea of adding 4 more SI 18's. My wife says no way, it's already destroying the house. But, she is gonna be in New Jersey for 2 straight weeks soon and I'll see what I can do during that time. I'm more of a ask for forgiveness kinda guy!  :D

• Like 1

It makes perfect sense.  Sounds like the subs are being pushed past their linear range and you're hearing distortion.

Strangely, I spread them out pretty good then re-ran Audessey, this aspect got significantly better. I have had significant issues while playing the Transformers 4 movie at -10 db with subs 6 db hot, but it was fine or at least seemingly tons better afterwards. Some of the missles really came to life as if I had never heard them before but I've watched that movie 10-12 times. Some of the other effects seemed fuller as well, and to be honest it was about all I could handle except for the deepest frequencies, at least for any length of time. I must be sitting in the middle of a weird mode or something. I have played with the room simulator on REW but didn't come across anything significant plus I have tried putting the subs in many different locations. Starting to wonder if a massive build and/or doubling or tripling my equipment is really necessary, especially since I can't hear jack crap today and apparently need to stick with my usual -20 on the receiver.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I think I just found the drivers I want to use, which is mainly only based on looks, but these are SHARP.  

http://aespeakers.com/

My question is, is it really impossible to mix ported and sealed boxes?  Four of those up front under my granite would be super nice visually speaking plus should sound really nice on my beloved concert blu rays as well as matching the cone material of Klipsch.  Two of them in the rear in a folded horn would really shake as well.  Can I have both, four sealed and two horns?   :)

11212747_10153261661431866_3576628645114

The AV15H and AV15X are returning and are now available for advance order. Shipping will begin in weeks. Standard pricing is $479 but through June 7 they can be ordered at a discounted rate of $399.

The AV15H and AV15X are made here in America and feature many American made components. Hand spun aluminum cones and dustcaps, santoprene surrounds, voice coils, shorting rings, rubber edge gaskets, and adhesives are all produced fully in America. All machining and production is done here in our facility in Green Bay, WI to the highest possible standards.

These woofers are ideal for many applications including home theater subwoofers, 3way tower speakers, recording monitors, and the lowest distortion car audio subwoofers in existence. They have the same incredibly low distortion as all of our woofers are known for, along with high 1000W power handling,a very long throw 23mm one way Xmax (30mm suspension travel), and high efficiency over 90dB 1W. They are ideal for frequencies from 10hz all the way up to 500hz. They are available in a variety of VC options to fit your application. Please see parameters below. Please email info@aespeakers.com if you are interested in ordering.

It's not impossible. I never thought it would work out, but I positioned a pair of KPT-684's flanked and somewhat behind me angled at about 30 degrees firing towards the back of the shop, and a pair of stacked THT's firing directly at me from the front center. In my big space, it works in every way. It fills the thin back shop sound very well, it reduced the gain needed on the THT's so they don't thump as bad when you are right next to them, and in theater, the flanking KPT subs immerse you. I fiddled forever before I came up with this, but I absolutely love it. 

Edited by mustang guy

y question is, is it really impossible to mix ported and sealed boxes?

Metro, I would not mix direct radiators and horns.  Sealed and ported can be mixed successfully.  See my thread on more wooferage and look around the tuning frequency of 20 Hz and at the XO point of 80 Hz.  Caution: this may not be an easy task without DSP and PEQ.  Running the mains as small will make the job easier.  I like this quotes by Dr. Geddes:

When one knows that they will be using subs in all cases, then it makes no sense to try and extend the response of the mains

Apparently the voice coil is actually copper instead of aluminum which is why the motor is so strong, inductance is so low, and efficiency is so high on the "H" version.  I don't know how to properly model it but just playing around with a calculator it looks like you can get the lowest frequency out of it in a sealed box with only 1.2 cubic feet.  

According to the owner, some of their cones come from right here in Paducah KY.  

http://www.hawleyproducts.com/

That's weird, I've driven right by it a blue million times.  Right across the road from where I get landscaping mulch.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.096043,-88.62156,3a,75y,86.09h,89.1t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sS2KlKl3HNUy6bq2sThN8QA!2e0!6m1!1e1

When one knows that they will be using subs in all cases, then it makes no sense to try and extend the response of the mains

Only when the mains cut off at 100 Hz. and the subs are Tapped Horns, that don't like to go above 60 Hz.

I'm thinking about putting four 18's up front in a row and finishing it out like a high end coffee table. I put a deposit down on a big slab of "premium plus" absolute black granite yesterday that will go on top. Plan to have double thick 3/4" baltic birch on all panels. Probably will have to make two cabinets to keep the weight down, otherwise it will weigh several hundred pounds.

:)

Seems long ago I asked about using counter top for speakers and got   (accused/warned?)   about carving the turkey on speakers.   :unsure: 

• Like 1

Modeling done by the owner of Acoustic Elegance comparing two of his "H" version 15's in a sealed box (green line) to one ultimax 18 in a sealed box (red line), both set up to hit xmax at 15 hz.  He seems to think that the 50 hz nose dive on the 18's is quite nasty.  The blue line is a single 15 with two 18" passive radiators which is a favorite design of theirs.  

I mean, what the hell, at 60 hz there's like a 10-11 db difference and just gets worse.  Yet down low it still pumps out more.  

modeling_zpsb6wlrede.png

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=116

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2004554-dayton-um18-22-sealed-test-results-data-bass-com.html

This is Josh Ricci testing of the Dayton UM 18.  It is a good driver and has good grades from Ricci.  Comparing vented and sealed subs is not apples to apples.   Vented subs always have more spl around the tuning.  Sealed subs are better in small room and vented subs for larger rooms unless you are going to get a lot of sealed boxes.  The progression goes 2 to 4 to 6 or 8 and up if you are looking for the under 15 Hz output.

Metro I am not sure that guy can say you set a sub to 15 Hz tuning to hit Xmax with the UM 18's in your boxes.  Xmax will be hit based on driver parameters, box size, design, voltage, ect.

Here is a graph at the MLP with my UM 18 subs.  I use two vented and 6 sealed.  You ask about mixing sealed and vented sub at one point.  Most people will get higher 10-15 Hz output than I do since the room is so dran big.  But, a good response down to 15 Hz is very doable in my 4300+ cuft. space. 

I really wish I lived closer to you to help to get those UM 18's to shine.  The UM 18's test to have an Xmax of around 25 mm that is between the SI Ht 18 and highly reguraded ULX 18.  Ricci is the guy that PSA, SVS, RA, HSU and others use to verify their specs on sub drivers and subs.

post-50685-0-99620000-1432330352_thumb.j

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Infinite baffle is starting to interest me quite a bit, although I don't know where I'd put the things. I'm mainly tired of staring at sub boxes so getting bigger boxes may be a bit silly. The 15's sounded cool because I could lower the height and depth of the boxes to the point where glare from the screen wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue.