Wife is going to kill me building the jamboree

My plan is to use the mid and tweeter from my cornscalas for the top hat. Order 2 more woofers from Bob to finish out the bass bin.

Crossover is still up in the air, maybe use the cornscala xover? Ideas needed?

these cabs would be less work and provide a huge boost in bottom end output. If you are going to go to the trouble of building a Jub why would you want to use the horns from your Cornwall on them? Why would you not want to also upgrade the single most important part of the speaker the mid??? a two way with a K402 would seem the logical choice and if you cannot go that large then the K510.

DBB for dual 15 woofers

post-44375-0-82260000-1432234696_thumb.j

Edited by moray james
  • Like 2

Is Baltic birch needed for cabs like this?  

My plan is to use the mid and tweeter from my cornscalas for the top hat. Order 2 more woofers from Bob to finish out the bass bin.
Crossover is still up in the air, maybe use the cornscala xover? Ideas needed?

these cabs would be less work and provide a huge boost in bottom end output. If you are going to go to the trouble of building a Jub why would you want to use the horns from your Cornwall on them? Why would you not want to also upgrade the single most important part of the speaker the mid??? a two way with a K402 would seem the logical choice and if you cannot go that large then the K510.

DBB for dual 15 woofers

Is Baltic Birch needed for cabs this large?   It seems like the last basic 5 or 6 ply Birch I bought was riddled with air voids and wasn't nearly as dense, but it was a lot cheaper.  Is it worth the extra dough?

a lot of folks buy plywood with birch veneer on both outside surfaces and think that that is Baltic Birch ply but that is not the case. Baltic Birch ply is made up entirely of select and better veneer it is 100% solid finish furniture grade Birch plywood zero voids zero patches in any of the layers it is 100% finish grad veneer, birch plywood on the other hand has only birch on the face sides that is all the birch there is in standard birch plywood. You can build out of anything you want to. Baltic Birch is lighter and stronger than just about anything out there but there is no reason you could not build a fine cabinet out of MDF it just going to weigh a whole lot more. That said why did you ask I fail to see the connection with my post and with Baltic Birch past the fact that the photo I posted shows a DBB built that has Birch veneer I have no idea it those are made with Baltic Birch. The owner is a member here perhaps he will let us know? I always assumed that DBB stood for double bass bin. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

The reason I ask is I picked up some basic birch form Lowes to use for panels enclosing the rear of my K's.   Once I got to looking at the pieces after they were cut, they were pretty much junk, various voids and didn't feel solid at all.  I received some LaScala braces from Volti and the comparison looked to be a no brainer.  My basic ply was not near as dense, but I was wondering is resonance would be a factor going to the "better" Birch ply like pictured below.

baltic-birch-finished-edges.jpg

My plan is to use the mid and tweeter from my cornscalas for the top hat. Order 2 more woofers from Bob to finish out the bass bin.Crossover is still up in the air, maybe use the cornscala xover? Ideas needed?

these cabs would be less work and provide a huge boost in bottom end output. If you are going to go to the trouble of building a Jub why would you want to use the horns from your Cornwall on them? Why would you not want to also upgrade the single most important part of the speaker the mid??? a two way with a K402 would seem the logical choice and if you cannot go that large then the K510.DBB for dual 15 woofers
I wanted total horn loaded system, I do want to go 2 way with the k402 some day but am working now with what funds allow.

I built a couple of horn loaded subs and wanted all my speakers to match.

"Baltic Birch ply is made up entirely of select and better veneer it is 100% solid finish furniture grade Birch plywood zero voids zero patches in any of the layers it is 100% finish grad veneer,"

By the industry standard Baltic Birch is all B grade cores, the knots are all to be 'footballed'.

It is not veneer grade, it is not finish sanded.

That picture looks like Baltic Birch, not birch.

Right. I think its about $50 a sheet or so which would get expensive quick.

Yes but worth it in the end. Dana the designer suggests marine grade ply as it works good and lighter than Baltic birch. I used auraco ply. Though it didn't have a lot of voids it warped easily. Looking at weight, most sheets we have mentioned, mdf, bb, auraco, and marine vary about 10 lbs a sheet. 3-4 sheets per a cab ad 30-40lbs. If you have a two wheeler like me its not much of an issue. I might try mdf to save money, I believe it would be the heaviest. But it takes veneer a lot better. Plus it stays straight.

As for the driver I kinda forgot I was using the eminence drivers. Yes they are low cost and work great. I haven't taken any readings. But am curious to see what the frequency response is.

• Like 1

"Baltic Birch ply is made up entirely of select and better veneer it is 100% solid finish furniture grade Birch plywood zero voids zero patches in any of the layers it is 100% finish grad veneer,"

By the industry standard Baltic Birch is all B grade cores, the knots are all to be 'footballed'.

It is not veneer grade, it is not finish sanded.

I have not looked at the standards for BB in a very long time. I last bought BB many decades ago and I what I bought at that time was made from select veneer and it cost me an arm and a leg back then. This was in southern Ontatio bought it through the veneer supply company that the cabinet shop company I worked for used. If the information I supplied was wrong it was not intended to be so and as far as I know that is exactly what I bought. This was in the late seventies.

I am building mine out of red oak ply. Have used it on all my builds, it is very stiff and have had no problems with warping

So far. I have found a new source that is at 35.00 a sheet and he lets me be picky. Wonderful grain and tiger stripe when it is stained.

I am leaning toward cherry veneer for the jamboree due to WAF, I let her pick the finish so she feels a part of the build.

• Like 1