opinions on marantz 1060 & k-horns

anyone here have or heard a vintage marantz 1060 integrated amp?  i have a very nice 1060 thats been collecting dust for a few years, it has a scratchy volume knob that cleaned up with some deox-it cleaner.

its rated at only 30wpc, but thought it would be a good match with my k-horns.  it sounds pretty darn good at low to mid levels, havent really pushed it yet.  coming from a big 200wpc adcom 555ii amp & pre i was a little concerned how the little marantz would do.  it doesnt seem to have the impact of the adcom & thats obviously due to the big power difference but at lower volumes it seems to have a warmer more musical quality & honestly has pretty good bass untill i go to higher levels.  one thing i do like is that it has a mid level adjuster, never seen that before, only the standard bass & treble adjustments. 

i got it for a great deal with some vintage sansui speakers a friend of a friend was selling so i thought i'd put it through its paces after cleaning it up.  just curious if anyone has ran this marantz on other heritage speakers or k-horns & what your thoughts were on its performance.  it gets excellent reviews & seems to bring good money in the used market. 

also this can be ran as just a pre amp, think i will play with it as a pre on the adcom & my other amps, rotel 200wpc & an onkyo m-504.

• Like 2

I have a 1060 and I like it.  It's been completely cleaned and adjusted according to the service manual, and the amp is quite strong.  I have powered my LSI splits and Cornwalls with it, and it has performed very well, and as you stated, having the available tonal adjustments is very nice.  Don't have Khorns, so can't comment on that.  I have quite a few other amps and receivers, and though it's not at the top of the list, it's quite respectable, and looks pretty retro cool to boot.

• Like 1

so far im surprised by it.  i read the 30 watt rating is understated, other say it comes in at almost 40 when tested.  i'd like to clean mine up better & adjust the bias etc to factory specs.  agree on the retro look & feel, wish it had a remote tho! 

some reviews ive read say its the closest to tube sound for a reasonably priced vintage s/s amp.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say how it will sound with K-horns, but mine sounds great with Heresys and RB-75s.  I just got mine back a couple a months ago from a thorough recap and tune up service.  Not that it was un-listenable prior.  But now, even more strong, smooth, sweet.  I waited a couple of years in the queue to get the work done, so I had all intent on keeping this thing for a while. 

I had also thought it was around 30wpc because of the commonality of circuits with the 2230.  But, corresponding with the tech this thing actually was rated at 45wpc.

Playing with a new faceplate for a change of scenery.  Really like this piece of gear.

post-24339-0-84460000-1430866187_thumb.j

That faceplate is awesome....I asked the gentleman that makes them if he would do one for the 1250 that I got from Earl, and he declined, saying that the setup and production of just one or two would make it cost prohibitive...I understand that.