Paul Klipsch Meeting

Cwall4me

...with the reinforcing wedges installed in the bass bin between the doghouse assembly and the bass bin sides...to improve the response curve of the bass bin.

I wonder why that was never put into production then?  It had to help with reducing resonance.

Back in those days each LaScala bass bin would have needed the braces to be custom-fitted, which was too costly (ie., labor-intensive) for production with the way things were back then in the cabinet shop.

The thicker panels used today do away with most of the issue, but there are other ways to do this and get the same result, but they are more costly...but not so costly they could not be incorporated into a nice pair picked up at a reasonable cost which needed re-furbishing.

Maybe one of these days I will build something SPECIAL to show you all HOW that can be done.

Edited by HDBRbuilder

SOLO, I could easily knock out 80+ HBR cabs, but with a helper that would increase up to 120+...on a good day...meaning all the parts were good to go and few if any culls.  I could actually build more HDBR cabs than HBR cabs in a day, since half as many glue blocks were used in HDBR cabs.

Holy shit!

• 2 months later...

What area ofnthe country did you sell them in? What else did you carry speaker wise? In that era, in the bay area there were 3 or 4 Klipsch dealers within a 20 mile radius, one McIntosh dealer, etc. Things have changed a great deal in 40 years.

In the other Bay Area (San Francisco), there were 7.  Berkeley Custom, Pro Audio, Listening Post, Poor Richard's, Christopher's, Good Guysand a little one on College Ave. in Berkeley, the name of which I forget.  Also, there were at least 4 McIntosh dealers.  IMO, the market has gone to hell in a basket, quality wise, since then.