Vintage Tube Amp Restoration Walk Through

AEA Audio

one more point about vintage cloth leads... the outer cloth is not the only insulator they have a inner insulator also.... problem is that insulator is often petrified stiff... any bending at all and it cracks open.... if left alone it indeed is just fine and dandy just like the cloth lead material. this is usually the case where the wires are near a heat source that has zapped all the moisture out of the insulators and petrified it. Very common in most gear...

Folks can take this stuff as being negative all you want but in reality they are stone cold facts garnished from 15 years of full time professional rebuilding.

Also folks should realize something the OP is indeed professional and polite but he opened himself up to this kind of scrutiny by doing such a blatant promotional post. How do I know this....I have suffered from much worse treatment on this very forum countless times when my products have been put on display and I was not the one that even put the posts up...

I learned the hard way to not use forums for direct promotion....its asking for trouble. I kind of decided it was nice to be on the other side of this fence for once. Since this thread was the OP very first post on this forum sure didn't make it hard to justify in my mind.

Hope the above gives some an idea of where I'm coming from...

The 299 on your homepage is/was mine after I cleaned it up - so is the thumbnail right below it where the unit is flipped. You asked me to take pictures and send them to Kelly. Those are my pictures, I still have them.

I was wrong to accuse Marty of shilling for you, and I apologize to you for attacking your integrity publicly. That's all you're getting out of me.

The 299 on your homepage is/was mine after I cleaned it up - so is the thumbnail right below it where the unit is flipped. You asked me to take pictures and send them to Kelly. Those are my pictures, I still have them.

I was wrong to accuse Marty of shilling for you, and I apologize to you for attacking your integrity publicly. That's all you're getting out of me.

What is the date of your email involving that clean up you did and if your talking about those dinking little photo's I do not believe that is the amplifier you did that too. You owned two of them and both were previously mine. If memory serves me correctly you did the extreme clean up to amp number two which was a 299B.. I'm almost 100% sure those photos on my website were before I sold you the amp but again were talking about something from like 13 to 14 years ago... those photo's are not a 299B

Jim Garrett, Bob Gassel, Amy, and whoever they ran his stuff through - flat out stated that we could promote our work, since it supported Klipsch both directly and indirectly. I asked Amy for clarification about this shortly before she left, and she told me that promoting is perfectly fine, but that Klipsch did not want to see any soliciting. She wanted vendors to support each other, and if that wasn't possible - to stay out of your competitor's thread(s).

Jim Garrett, Bob Gassel, Amy, and whoever they ran his stuff through - flat out stated that we could promote our work, since it supported Klipsch both directly and indirectly. I asked Amy for clarification about this shortly before she left, and she told me that promoting is perfectly fine, but that Klipsch did not want to see any soliciting. She wanted vendors to support each other, and if that wasn't possible - to stay out of your competitor's thread(s).

So quit stirring the pot.... you mentioned me and started all of this...

Now back to this amplifier on my website. I think your memory is shot but I could be wrong..

Edited by NOSValves

I was just messing with Marty - I was hearing your voice as I read his words. It really was meant as a joke. Sometimes I poke you in the eye with a stick, and sometimes it's totally tongue in cheek. The comment was somewhere in between and inappropriate. Now, what I don't do is personally attack you and call you names.

So, how are those networks working out for you, lol.

Dean,

Well were both wrong but your more wrong :) the pictures on my website are before you even owned the amplifier and that is why Kelly states he has before and after photos.... that amps was in darn nice shape before you got it as was the 299B I sold you... but not spit polish nice since they were not that way brand new just plan old raw clean aluminum..

My website went live long before you did the cleanup of that amp. I never could get Kelly to do a thing to my website hence the main reason I found someone else.

I asked Amy for clarification about this shortly before she left, and she told me that promoting is perfectly fine, but that Klipsch did not want to see any soliciting. She wanted vendors to support each other, and if that wasn't possible - to stay out of your competitor's thread(s).

Dean will you clarify what you considered promoting versus soliciting...? 

Sure seems like this is a gray area where either could be interoperated as the other..!

thank you for the original posts. they were very interesting and informative.

just like every business, different people use different methods to acheive the same results. my business was remodeling and home improvements. there were as many ways to do jobs as there were carpenters to do them. i sure am grateful that my first paying customer took me at my word, rather than how long i had been in business! everyone starts at 0!

• Like 1

Before we had businesses, we did this work as part of our normal interaction with the hobby. We see it all over the forum even today - where someone starts a thread about their DIY project, and we get pictures and descriptive text for what often ends up being many pages as others jump in and ask questions and make comments. We all used to do this in the past as well -- if I put a build together that I was happy with and wanted to share, I would share, and everyone always thought that was pretty cool -- until I started a business -- then it became uncool.

If I share now, it's considered a form of self promotion (just like AEA did by starting this thread). Promotion and solicitation are two entirely different things -- and Amy and Chad certainly didn't have any trouble understanding the difference.

Forums exist primarily as a means of promoting equipment. Everyone here is promoting something for someone on a continual basis - just move through the forum and read the threads or read what's in the signatures. Self-promotion is completely benign - it's just a form of sharing - and I'm to be denied this because I make a little bit of money while making people happy and giving them what they want?

If I recommend paper in oil capacitors to someone for their vintage rebuild, am I promoting Jensen, myself, or both? How can I do one without doing the other?

Al left, and Bob doesn't even bother posting anymore. I think it's obvious that vendors are expected to help out with technical questions - often being called out by name to render assistance. Yet we can't really post much of anything related to our area of experience without being made to feel like we're only doing it to make money or taking advantage of the community.

This forum has spawned over a half-dozen business directly or indirectly supporting Klipsch products. This is why we were originally given the freedom to self promote. Answering or explaining something about what I do is not soliciting. Showing pictures of something I've built is not soliciting. Talking about the way I build and why, is not soliciting. Talking about the different types of parts I prefer for the different builds, is not soliciting. To "solicit" means to approach or ask someone for their business. This is one of the reasons I turned off private messaging -- so I didn't have to worry about people thinking I was soliciting under the radar.

I don't need this forum to keep work coming in -- most of my work comes from people who don't even belong to the forum!

For years I've been lobbying for a Vendor's Section, a place where people could go to ask questions without putting Vendors in the awkward position of possibly being accused of soliciting -- a safe zone of sorts. No vendor would have access to another vendor's area.

I'm considering just going the way of Al, Greg, Dave, Bob, and John. When the hassle begins to outweigh the level of enjoyment- what's the point - and I'm definitely tired of being made to feel like I'm only here to get money from people. I have news for you guys: it's not about the money, it's about the feeling I get when someone tells me that what I built for them exceeded their expectations and that they're really enjoying their music again -- and I can guarantee that every vendor here feels the same way. So what, we make a little bit of money (what, we should provide these services and products for nothing) and occasionally squabble amongst ourselves -- God forbid this place actually exhibits the intellectually combative spirit of its founder from time to time.

Does anyone need a really nice set of crossovers?

• Moderators
I'm considering just going the way of Al, Greg, Dave, Bob, and John. When the hassle begins to outweigh the level of enjoyment- what's the point - and I'm definitely tired of being made to feel like I'm only here to get money from people. I have news for you guys: it's not about the money, it's about the feeling I get when someone tells me that what I built for them exceeded their expectations and that they're really enjoying their music again -- and I can guarantee that every vendor here feels the same way. So what, we make a little bit of money (what, we should provide these services and products for nothing) and occasionally squabble amongst ourselves -- God forbid this place actually exhibits the intellectually combative spirit of its founder from time to time.

I would hope anyone that is self employed and actually enjoys what they do would feel this way.  In my business, it's never been about the money, but the satisfaction on my customer's faces.  The money is nice, but secondary to doing something that I love and making others happy.  I'm sure that sounds corny, but so be it. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Can you feel the love?

I really am just amazed.  Men think women are petty????   :wacko:

This is why competition is a good thing.  While someone may be entirely opposed to cleaning any part of an electrical component in water, Windex or otherwise, others consider it acceptable.  You can call BS on someone's particular method of doing things, but an all out character assassination really isn't called for.  The individual(s) exhibiting that behavior should be moderated more closely.  

If everyone did business exactly the same way we would be walking around like a bunch of zombies.   :unsure:

And...yes....most days I can feel the love!!!   :wub:

• Like 2