Vintage Tube Amp Restoration Walk Through

AEA Audio

Everything on their website is sold. Many of the items that they have listed as sold have been on there for many months. These companies need to keep their websites updated. I don't have time to go hunting around the Internet for things that they may or may not have for sale

• Like 1

we pay in free support and time spent helping people. And I for one have never put such a blatant advertising post up in many years...I learned the crime does not pay. Some of my customers have started threads and those end ugly around here also!  

Funny thing is there are 2 builders on here that have had issues, and have their "customers" "supply" photos out of nowhere, give great accounts of their work, and these builders come and go when looking for business or getting too busy to also keep up.

Unfortunately, instead of most of us taking things for what they are; We all want to be plugged for our services, but some do it blatantly, and others don't complain, and some don't do it blatantly, and the same "others" do complain. Just something I see on here sometimes.Whether on amps, or crossovers, someone is always unhappy about another getting some type of attention.

About the only ones I don't see putting their business on here are speaker reps. Imagine that, Klipsch speaker reps NOT putting how they can help us on a speaker forum that's named after the same speakers they are able to help us with.

About the only ones I don't see putting their business on here are speaker reps. Imagine that, Klipsch speaker reps NOT putting how they can help us on a speaker forum that's named after the same speakers they are able to help us with.

Speakers rarely break and Klipsch isn't into the modification business.  I do however see Roy Delgado on here a bunch.  You can't get more Klipsch than that.

• Like 3

Speakers rarely break and Klipsch isn't into the modification business.  I do however see Roy Delgado on here a bunch.  You can't get more Klipsch than that.

I meant the distributors on here.

Anyone have any current experience with these folks? AEA Audio?

I know that they've sold some vintage tube amps on Audiokarma after posting equipment on the Vendor Forum last year you want to ask the same question there.

I just went on Audiokarma and you're right, AEA does sale on there in their Business and Vendor Classifieds section. Some of their sales post are old, but they may still be for sale and they state that they have units on shelves that they can restore for you. Their restored components are very nice with good prices too. I'll buy my next restored vintage tube audio from them, or have them fully restore my 299C. I like their restoration where they replace all resistors and caps and like their upgrades too. I'm excited to discover them and hope to do business with them!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?forums/business-and-vendor-classifieds.67/

Most advertise on here in some ways and maybe not on purpose, but just trying to help, but still do in most manners anyways. When some post on here their competitors mainly post on their threads in not always good ways which is a shame, because we all lose. We've lost some very valuable members, but competitiveness is what it is. 

Edited by soundbound

• 6 years later...

Reviving an ancient thread ...  About a year ago, I bought a Fisher 500C from AEA. I paid a pretty penny for this piece, and why not, it was represented to me to be their 'legacy piece.' And, I knew that they were good - really good - their web site told me so!

When it arrived I I was initially pleased with the overall sound, but the FM tuner section was terrible. After some unproductive communications with the AEA, I sent the receiver back for repair. I should have sent it back for a refund! Anyway before packing it up, I removed the bottom of the chasssis and took a look. I was horrified by the 'quality' of work I saw. Many weeks later the 500C came back from AEA and the FM performance was really no better than it was when I first recieved it, then it very quickly quit working altogether. By now I sheepishly admitted that I hadn't done proper due diligence before buying the Fisher (there were other forum threads about poor experiences with AEA), and had failed to do ANY proper inspection when I first received it. But, my own failures notwithstanding, I had 'been had!'

Through the Audiokarma forum, I quickly learned enough to know that Dave Gillespie (Atlanta area guru-technician) was my best bet at having the Fisher 500C that I thought I was buying in the first place. I had NO interest in sending back to AEA. In my opinion, the FM problems were beyond their ability to fix, AND I had no interest in more marginal work being done to this beautiful Fisher.

Thanks to Dave Gillespie and the graciousness of one of his clients, Dave worked my receiver into his work queue. Upon Dave's receipt of the unit, he confirmed my evaluation of the original restorer's work; although his description of what he saw was considerably more 'gentlemanly' than mine! He refered to the work as amateurish. He was charitable, indeed.

So, a couple of month's of Dave's skill and wizardry completely transformed my 500C from a good-looking-but-useless receiver into a piece of superbly functioining audio art. Dave corrected ALL of the original restorer's shoddy work and incorporated all of the mods and upgrades for which he is well known. I couldn't be happier.

As Dave performed his miracles on my Fisher, he sent daily, profoundly comprehensive reports of his work, with photos. This is the way everything should work!

In fairness, AEA returned a portion (16%) of the purchase price to offset the cost of competent repair. Although grateful for even that, it was less than 1/4th the cost of the repairs and modifications that I had done. I feel sure that AEA regarded the returned funds as an inexpensive way to have me just go away. Since the better part of a year had gone buy, I was glad to get what I got. Well, kind of glad.

Today, I may own what may the most expensive Fisher 500C on the planet (original purchase price, plus what I HAPPILY paid to Dave Gillespie to rescue me from my own idiocy), but I am absolutely in love with the receiver now. Actually, I hold no particular animosity toward the original restorer; and I have no idea whether or not the unit I bought is representative of their work. I do acknowlewdge my own failure by getting stars in my eyes over the promise of a great piece of vintage gear, not doing thorough research, and not returning the unit upon receipt. But I really do try to approach such 'set backs' with grace and humor.  That said, I do feel that AEA misrepresented the receiver as well as their own work.

I am so super-fortunate to have an understanding and kind wife who supported my efforts - and the expense - to get the 500C done right, and after 62 years, she's definitely a keeper. Just like my 500C! Thanks Dave Gillespie and thanks Linda!

Robert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1