Mains set to Large?

timdog5000

That is why I got more wooferage.  I can get the shake and rumble without running things hot and causing an imbalance in the FR for movies.  I like having several preset so that I can easily switch between music mode and HT.

i don't think subs has anything to do with metro running his hot. he likes em hot. i'm with you derrick i don't run mine hot at all and i get a great experience. i run hot once in a while, but if the movie isn't non stop action, and some music starts playing with subs hot i immediately hate it. just sounds un natural to me. 

metro will get to come check mine out soon as he is coming up my way.

Im a child of the 90's with gangsta rap, bass is supposed to be obnoxious in my world.

That is why I got more wooferage.  I can get the shake and rumble without running things hot and causing an imbalance in the FR for movies.  I like having several preset so that I can easily switch between music mode and HT.

i don't think subs has anything to do with metro running his hot. he likes em hot. i'm with you derrick i don't run mine hot at all and i get a great experience. i run hot once in a while, but if the movie isn't non stop action, and some music starts playing with subs hot i immediately hate it. just sounds un natural to me. 

metro will get to come check mine out soon as he is coming up my way.

Im a child of the 90's with gangsta rap, bass is supposed to be obnoxious in my world.

me too, and when i listen to gangsta rap i can run the bass as hot as you can take it. BUUUUT movies need to be natural for me to really enjoy them. otherwise the bass is distracting.

Most subs have a natural roll off.  Below is a graph of the natural response of the Ultimax and SI dirver in a sealed box (yellow and orange).  I have also attached a graph of my room response.  How did the lower end come up on my FR, a bass boost and the blue line with the best output in the 15 Hz and above is what a vented sub will contribute to the FR.  The problem with elevating the lower end is headroom and driver excursion.

Boost the trim in the avr will shift the entire graph up.  This may explain voices coming from the sub and some other unpleasant things in the SQ.  In small rooms, cabin gain will factor in at roughly 9-12 db per octave.  For example in a small room where the sub rolls at 40 Hz the number at 20 Hz of 108 will be up 9-12 db, or 118 db.  Wow, how do I get that free cabin gain? To get that in a large room is impossible and cabin gain may not kick in until the mid to low teens.  The low teens is also where most people audio chain drops the ball.

This is overcome by brute force in large spaces by more sub and more headroom.  Auddysee will also selectively boost the lower end. Most subs with plate amp have built-in protection to protect the driver.  This may mean the low end is still not up enough.  I have seen graphs were it boosted the low end by 10 db which eats up power and excursion of the driver.  Also, the addition of more subs decreases the effects of peaks and dips if asymmetrically placed.  Symmetrical placed, the subs will reinforce the same peaks and nulls.

Is vented better than sealed, no.  Is a sub with low specs better, not necessary.  In a small room, the cabin gain may be so great that advance PEQ may be needed to tame the bass. Bass systems should be designed for the room and the users preference.  As can be seen on the graph comparison turning the avr trim up or adding Mains+Large may be trying to compensate for to little wooferage on the low end or the roll off of the mains.  Most people with multiple sub are not trying to elevate the 40 Hz and up FR.  As can be seen in the last graph I use PEQ to keep the 40 Hz and up FR to keep it from rising.  The majority of HT's are not capable of Reference level playback and people try to compensate by running the bass hot.

My apology to Timdog for going a little off track. 

post-50685-0-66840000-1429935462_thumb.p

post-50685-0-75520000-1429935554_thumb.j

post-50685-0-46280000-1429935844_thumb.j

Edited by derrickdj1

No worries Derrick, this thread has made me realize how little I really know and I'm happy I have a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips. I appreciate any and all comments. Unfortunately I just do not have time to answer all of them or the knowledge to respond to some of them as far as that goes .