La Scala build

panord

This is my first post, though I've been lurking for a while. I'm start to build a pair of La Sacala clones. I'm using the Elliptitrac 400 horn and Eliptitrac for the skwawker and tweeter along with the La Scala bass bins using plans that were included in another post here. I have a question the bass bin plans, so if this isn't the appropriate place for the question, let me know. The question is regarding the dimensions, particularly using 3/4 plywood. It appears that if 3/4 material is used throughout, the horn narrows from 3" wide to 2.75" at the 1st turn (where it turns to towards the front). Am I seeing that correctly? And if so, so if impact the response? I'm sorry if this seems like a beginner question.

Peter

• Like 2

The LaScala is 3/4" so there shouldn't be any change.  I'd strongly suggest increasing the sides to 1" material... just for looks you could increase the top and bottom of the bin to 1" as well.  You won't change the dimensions of the horn at all this way.

This should sound really good!

• Like 3

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I am will probably add some thickness to the sides. At least to get to 1", but I maybe 1.5". So, just for my own peace of mind, and to make sure I understand the layout - when the the horn turns to the front, it has a width of 2.75" and a height of 22.25". I'm sorry if I'm asking hte same question again, but for I would have thought the width would have stayed at 3" or got slightly wider.

Thanks, again. I appreciate the help

Peter 

• Like 1

I would only increase the thickness of the outside of the cabinet...not the center pointed part that houses the woofer.

That pointed part where the woofer lives has a name.  It's called the doghouse, naturally. 

Seriously.

• Like 2

I would only increase the thickness of the outside of the cabinet...not the center pointed part that houses the woofer.

That pointed part where the woofer lives has a name.  It's called the doghouse, naturally. 

Seriously.

I thought so but I wasn't sure. :)

• Like 1

This is my first post, though I've been lurking for a while. I'm start to build a pair of La Sacala clones. I'm using the Elliptitrac 400 horn and Eliptitrac for the skwawker and tweeter along with the La Scala bass bins using plans that were included in another post here. I have a question the bass bin plans, so if this isn't the appropriate place for the question, let me know. The question is regarding the dimensions, particularly using 3/4 plywood. It appears that if 3/4 material is used throughout, the horn narrows from 3" wide to 2.75" at the 1st turn (where it turns to towards the front). Am I seeing that correctly? And if so, so if impact the response? I'm sorry if this seems like a beginner question.

Peter

Here you go - have a look at this thread first ( it's more than a La Scala bass bin thread ) and if you have any questions just ask

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/108425-la-scala-bass-reflex-mod/

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the responses. I got a chance to read through the thread Full Range linked (I had started it previously, but never got to the end). Lots of good info. I'll probably try the ported bass mod eventually, but want to get through this build first.

• Like 1

DJK has recently commented that the LaScala doghouse is physically larger than it needs to be so why not use thicker material to stiffen the doghouse walls? If you have the physical space rather than build a LaScala build a Bells? If you have the room for a Belle why not rather build a Peavey FH1(see yellow image below)? The FH1 provides the same depth as a LaScala as well as a little additional width over a Bells so you get a larger mouth and a longer horn for a lower cut off and none of the wasted horn path as in the LaScala immediately after the first major 90 degree bend. This will result is some improvement in performance. There are other modern designs available as seen in this Caire design (bt01.pdf see below) though it is starting to get large for most domestic situations but has very good extension and could make for a very nice two way design with a K402 up on top. Caire have several other similar designs. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

post-44375-0-99320000-1429972738_thumb.j

bt01.pdf

Edited by moray james
  • Like 5

The Ciare plan is for an 18, and is about 40" wide by 32" deep.

Not sure people would want to go that way.

For sure, I did mention this was reaching the realm of domestic limits but why I included it rather then the other smaller (more Belle sized Caire cabinets one included below) was to show that even with the added length and increased mouth size it does not buy you much more bass. I would think that the Belle or the Peavey design are about as large as most folks would want to go. The Belle "look" sure is nice and it was the very first Klipsch that I ever heard and is one of my most early WOW moments in audio that has never left my memory. Best regards Moray James.

bt02.pdf

• Like 1

Those are beautiful. Yeah, I looked around for other plans that went a little deeper, but wasn't completely comfortable with the increase in size. The Volti Vittoria seems like a good compromise, but I couldn't find a diy version. Anyway, it's my first foray into building horns. I have a feeling it won't be my last.

• Like 1

Peter

Peter - save yourself a lot of trouble - find a pair of beatup scalas and just do a restore job -they pop up pretty often- they are awesome cabs -the first generatiom Scalas were made like tanks -

• Like 1

I have a pair of La Scalas that the tops were cut off of... I started the refinishing with 3/4" plywood plus 1/4" Maple veneered plywood, and then moved on. They have been sitting in our car port. If anyone is local to Concord, Ca. they can have them for free.

• Like 3

^^^ that's the conclusion I came to, less expensive to re-build; but, availability depends on his location...

Where are you, Peter?

or find a set of Peavey FH1 or SB1 and rebuild them Jut a couple of inches wider than a Belle and the same depth as a LaScala. no dead horn space. Should be able to find them for cheap very good woofer in the FH1.Best regards Moray James.

PS: here is a picture of a LaScala build with a real brace see also internal of doghouse brace section. Alao a drawing of the LaScala which clearly shows the section of the horn where there is zero horn expansion or dead space just after the first 90 degree bend.

post-44375-0-90920000-1430104035_thumb.j

Edited by moray james

Here are the basic dimensions of a Peavey FH1 you can see how this design incorporated the best of the LaScala and the Belle and is not very much larger than a Belle. Best regards Moray James.

PS: note the reflectors at the first 90 degree bend which provide for improved upper end response of this cabinet over a LaScala.

post-44375-0-25520000-1430106228_thumb.j

Edited by moray james

These look like the first four LS that I built circa 1978, except I used 9-ply oak plywood.

LaScala with a real brace.jpg

After the first four I decided the corner reflectors were a waste of time (was crossing at 200hz or so), so I left them out. I did change every dimension in my plan, the motor board was increased to 15-3/4" to accommodate different woofers, etc.

• Like 4