La Scala build

panord

These look like the first four LS that I built circa 1978, except I used 9-ply oak plywood.

LaScala with a real brace.jpg

After the first four I decided the corner reflectors were a waste of time (was crossing at 200hz or so), so I left them out. I did change every dimension in my plan, the motor board was increased to 15-3/4" to accommodate different woofers, etc.

Nice build, you are right a little larger and you can then experiment with a wide variety of drivers, that is one of the nice things about a Belle or a Peavey build you have more width inside of the doghouse.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

I think you answered my question when you referred to the part of the horn after the first turn as "dead space". I was thinking it should be wider than the section at the back, but it's not.

And you're right, it probably would have been easier to find a used pair of LaScalas and refurbish them (though a quick search didn't show any in the St.Louis area). But one of the goals of this project is to build some woodworking skills as well as some speakers.

I didn't see the FH-1 before. Seems like a good alternative. I do have to take size into consideration, though, since they will be going in the family room.

This is all good info. Thank you for the responses.

• Like 1

The space that we are talking about is "dead" in the sense that there is no horn profile expansion there , the walls in this section are parallel so it does no harm but as far as the horn profile goes it does no good either. This little dead section does not exist in the Belle or in the Peavey which of the three designs has the longest horn and the largest mouth. The LaScala is a fine design and the compromises work for the size very well. As I mentioned to DJK about the larger Caire design you can see that it does not buy you any significant bass extension though the 18" woofer will whack a lot harder than a fifteen inch woofer can bu you have to go a lot longer and larger to get deeper bass extension. These designs do not make bass it is that simple. That said lots of people are happy with what they do and the large Caire design could easily go two way add bass to taste. Best regards Moray James. L

• Like 1

The shortcoming of the LS is the horn length. In the Ciare B1 design the horn can be extended into the chamber by perhaps 150 mm, not much but for such a short horn everything helps. With the LS there really is not much space to do this but most of the section of the doghouse with no flare this can be done. How this section is made can affect the upper working range as well due to differences in path lengths and shape of the throat.

• Like 1

The shortcoming of the LS is the horn length. In the Ciare B1 design the horn can be extended into the chamber by perhaps 150 mm, not much but for such a short horn everything helps. With the LS there really is not much space to do this but most of the section of the doghouse with no flare this can be done. How this section is made can affect the upper working range as well due to differences in path lengths and shape of the throat.

You are right. Here is what one forum member did to improve matters a little, no dead space as the side wall are at an angle and the cabinet depth is greater so the horn is longer and the mouth is larger. Best regards Moray James.

post-44375-0-61320000-1430334233_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I hope that this is the right place for this as I am new here.  I am embarking on a La Scala DIY build.  I have been through everything relevant I can find (I think) as to constructing these, but I still have a couple of questions.  I am going to go with the Crites 15" woofer and I have found the dimensional changes needed to accommodate it without cutting the woofer.  I am going to use 3/4" Cherry plywood veneer as you cannot find 1" anywhere I live (Spokane, WA).  Will probably get the braces I have seen for sale.

It looks like the hole in the floor of the doghouse is there for access to the woofer, if needed.  My questions are:

1.  Is the doghouse removeable from the cabinet itself to gain access to the woofer or am I missing something? 

2.  The majority of plans indicate that the woofer is attached with T-Nuts to the motorboard, yet some pictures I have seen show it mounted to a separate board, or even to a round ring that stands off from the motorboard.  Is that just personal preference?

3.  Where do you actually obtain the midrange and tweeter horns?  There is a lot of discussion about what people have used, but little on where you purchase them.  I found the site that sells the various crossover networks.

I really appreciate any information.  Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, Cellular676 said:

I hope that this is the right place for this as I am new here.  I am embarking on a La Scala DIY build.  I have been through everything relevant I can find (I think) as to constructing these, but I still have a couple of questions.  I am going to go with the Crites 15" woofer and I have found the dimensional changes needed to accommodate it without cutting the woofer.  I am going to use 3/4" Cherry plywood veneer as you cannot find 1" anywhere I live (Spokane, WA).  Will probably get the braces I have seen for sale.

It looks like the hole in the floor of the doghouse is there for access to the woofer, if needed.  My questions are:

1.  Is the doghouse removeable from the cabinet itself to gain access to the woofer or am I missing something? 

2.  The majority of plans indicate that the woofer is attached with T-Nuts to the motorboard, yet some pictures I have seen show it mounted to a separate board, or even to a round ring that stands off from the motorboard.  Is that just personal preference?

3.  Where do you actually obtain the midrange and tweeter horns?  There is a lot of discussion about what people have used, but little on where you purchase them.  I found the site that sells the various crossover networks.

I really appreciate any information.  Thanks in advance.

- dog house is not removable only the cover is removable.

- the ring you mention would be for use with woofers with a long throw to prevent the woofer from impacting the motor board.

- Klipsch can sell you parts. the least expensive way for you to obtain horns and drivers would be on the used market place. There are better horns out there both by Klipsch and others. There is much information on diy La Scala speaker projects in the forum archive you might care to look there.

• Like 1