Why so many NJ teachers are retiring......

tube fanatic

I'd tell the kids on Xmas eve that I was going to get some venison for breakfast in the morning.  Of course I would recant if any of the kids protested.  

Kids will figure it out on there own, but parental advise is usually a good thing.

My kids were in grade school when my son attempted to intervene when an older boy was calling a neighbor "White Trash."  Son said it was not the girls fault the way her parents were.  He got of the bus and waited for the bully to get off.  He decked the kid.  The bus driver looked away as in "I see nothing".  Proud of that young Man.

When I was in 4th grade a teacher was cramming her beliefs on us kids.

I was doing as Dad said when I told her that Dad said she was full of schit.  She new better then to push it after that.  Dad would have wiped the floor with her husband.

Kids will believe fantasy as long as they want.  But when they are old enough to ask, they deserve the TRUTH.

We learned young not to lie to people.  And not to spit on people.

Just how old were you in 4th grade? A made man, or just a wise guy?

Moi? 

Just a normal small town grade school kid.  Don't remember how old.  Same age as the other 4th grade kids.

A made man?

I'd think more of a smart @$$ then a wise guy.

I didn't think this thread would persist for so long!  But, to get back to the title ("why so many NJ teachers are retiring"), many extremely dedicated and highly qualified teachers, who started their career when they were respected, are getting out because they are tired of being considered a public enemy (even NJ's governor hates teachers and blames them for the state's financial woes even though they are among the lowest paid public workers).  The reaction of this child's mother is simply symptomatic of the prevailing view that all teachers are rotten and need to be chastised for anything and everything (no matter what occurs in the class, it's the teacher's fault).  In NJ, fewer college kids are choosing teaching as a career, so eventually the public educational system will collapse along with everything else.  

Maynard   

In NJ, fewer college kids are choosing teaching as a career, so eventually the public educational system will collapse along with everything else.

In the paper this morning there was an article about a college teacher in Galveston that recently failed an entire economics class, then immediately retired.  He cited wide spread cheating, threats and an utter lack of respect and discipline from the students.

I didn't think this thread would persist for so long!  But, to get back to the title ("why so many NJ teachers are retiring"), many extremely dedicated and highly qualified teachers, who started their career when they were respected, are getting out because they are tired of being considered a public enemy (even NJ's governor hates teachers and blames them for the state's financial woes even though they are among the lowest paid public workers).  The reaction of this child's mother is simply symptomatic of the prevailing view that all teachers are rotten and need to be chastised for anything and everything (no matter what occurs in the class, it's the teacher's fault).  In NJ, fewer college kids are choosing teaching as a career, so eventually the public educational system will collapse along with everything else.  

Maynard   

Hey Maynard hope all is well!!! I think the demonization of teachers and the school industry, is a simple path to privatization. When it comes to the problem of teaching our kids. It may stem from so many parents not having time to spend teaching, when their children are young... Plus kids interests have changed, video games, the poor use of the internet, social media. This is a huge uphill battle for many children and teachers and parents. Take a look at the new math, its very interesting..... Some parents have to go to classes to help their kids....Remember there's a huge pot of gold at the end of this tunnel...

• Like 1

Maynard   

Teaching is becoming less attractive because systems do not allow teachers to educate.  Discipline is lax.  The purpose of education is diluted and the results reflect this.  Teachers Unions are now PAC's with specific agendas purported to engender better education but often result in enhanced teachers benefits w/o improvement in education.  In every community there is the annual, "it's for the kids" campaign to pass whatever supplemental tax or levy.  We agree that the system is broken but I doubt if we agree on why nor who should be responsible to fix it.  Parental involvement in education has always been a factor but now it is somehow the failure - not the systems.  Why did it work before and not now?  As I said previously, the educational system should not strive to be a social support network but an educational system.  If Johnny misbehaves then little Johnny is not part of the class - period.  Teach the kids who do perform.  Raise the bar, do not lower the bar so everyone gets a trophy diploma.  Because those are pretty much useless.

• Like 1

In NJ, fewer college kids are choosing teaching as a career, so eventually the public educational system will collapse along with everything else. Maynard

A pessimistic view.  :(

I fear you are correct, both in NJ and in many other school systems. 

Edited by wvu80

In NJ, fewer college kids are choosing teaching as a career, so eventually the public educational system will collapse along with everything else. Maynard

A pessimistic view.  :(

I fear you are correct, both in NJ and in many other school systems. 

This may be the case, but might not matter? Kids will eventually work remotely and teachers wont be needed as much, the first step may be keep schools open and have proctors. The players here are big now, they will get their way....

Soon, a job teaching public school will be about as rewarding as being a WalMart greeter.

My wife's a teacher, (as was my mom) and her paycheck is a joke. Just suggesting her job may one day be as rewarding as a WalMart greeter is a gigantic stretch of wishful thinking that I can't even begin to call truth, let alone realistic. As self-rewarding a job as I think being a teacher would be, IMHO it isn't worth 10X the salary they pay my wife.

Don't know how you guys in Califa are dealing with the influx of illegals, but over here, our schools system budget has been literally swallowed up. The Mex's have eaten the Comal ISD's budget, it is a joke being played out on all the county tax payers. And since my wife is fluent in Spanish, she's been permanently pulled from her class just to help the office deal with the invasion. I'm sure Fed. funding will make it's way down eventually, but it's just such a bad thing, and this amnesty crap just adds insult to injury.... it's going to help speed our (S. Tex) school systems along the path to their ultimate demise.

Edited by Gilbert

All you need to know about America in 2015 is the following:

Floyd Mayweather is going to be paid about $200 million dollars for one boxing match.

Alex Rodriguez is going to be paid $6 million dollars for a single home run.

Millions of teachers all over the country are being fired, downgraded, shortchanged and subject to paycuts and loss of pensions.

When teachers generate the revenue that sports figures do, that will change.  Unfortunately, that's the capitalistic world in which we live.  I wish it wasn't.

Don't know about how you guys in Califa are dealing with the influx of illegals,

The same way we always have. They are absolutely critical to our economy, and appreciated by half the population, and despised by the other half, who are clueless about how the economy works in today's world. Our schools are not suffering because of immigrants, they are suffering because very powerful reactionary forces that want to corporatize education. (See the Corinthian College fiasco.)

To a large degree, we are also seeing a shift in labor due to immigration in a significant way.  Illegals bring down the price of unskilled labor.  Therefore, rather than citizens doing unskilled labor, we see many more illegals doing it.  As a result, the demand for citizen-provided unskilled labor has waned dramatically, except for those citizens who are willing to be paid the lowest of wages.  Would you include this as "corporatization?"  The network between supply and demand for labor is very complex, and I don't know that you can claim it's all one-sided.  

As you say, let's finish with the greatest irony of all:  Corporations want to exploit labor, and in doing so, they encourage immigration, which in turn, lifts the standards of immigrating families to where they can have 2400 calories on less than an hour's wages.

Wow! Amazing!  This is occurring in one of the most Christian nations on earth.  Yet, the citizens complain about how they are having to suffer because of this.  Apparently, 2400 calories isn't enough.  Gives you pause, doesn't it?

• Like 1

Don't know about how you guys in Califa are dealing with the influx of illegals,

The same way we always have. They are absolutely critical to our economy, and appreciated by half the population, and despised by the other half, who are clueless about how the economy works in today's world. Our schools are not suffering because of immigrants, they are suffering because very powerful reactionary forces that want to corporatize education. (See the Corinthian College fiasco.)

I've pitched my beef about one of several sub-standard teachers.  She was still teaching until retirement which meant she was teaching along with some other sub standard teachers when my kids were in school.  I did go to the school and state to "teacher that I would not tolerate putting down my kids because of what we did for recreation (target shooting).  And that if it continued I would go to the school board.  End of issue.

On the other hand I've had, and my kids had teachers that were very good at what they do.  These good teachers resulted in more kids staying in school and getting an education.

It's too bad that the poor teachers bring down the good teachers, the kids, and the school district in general.

As for illegal migrates,  There was a time when Migrate Farm were common.  Legal citizens that picked the fruit.  What a novel idea. 

I knew a Gentleman that grew up with a family that followed the crops.  He grew up to be a hard working man and raised his family in the community that I grew up in.  I dated his daughter, so I got to know him quite well.

That is occurring in the one of the most Christian nations on earth.

I don't see where one thing has anything to do with the other and would rather see this discussion continue without getting into a religious debate.

It's ok, he's referring to Italy. Everyone knows the roman catholics there are a rowdy bunch.

Edited by Gilbert

As for illegal migrates, There was a time when Migrate Farm were common. Legal citizens that picked the fruit. What a novel idea. I knew a Gentleman that grew up with a family that followed the crops. He grew up to be a hard working man and raised his family in the community that I grew up in. I dated his daughter, so I got to know him quite well.

My grandfather (from mother's side of the family) was such a man, i.e. migrant worker. He became a US citizen the old fashion legal way. He saved up enough money to open start his own business, and succeeded quite nicely. He later built one of the biggest, most beautiful traditional homes in Laredo (1930's), it still stands, and is currently owned by a prominent (or should I say crooked) Laredo politician. Oh how I'd love to have that house back in the family.

And I'd beg to differ with Mark on the subject of illegals being "critical" to our economy; I don't see it that way at all, not even close; but then, I'm not an expert, I only grew up surrounded by illegals. All along the border towns, I'll agree, yes they work cheap, not relatively cheap, but dirt cheap. However, once they get past the BP (border patrol) check stations, it's bye bye discount labor. Our yard man wants $120 to take care of our yard. Just him and another guy. From the time he arrived, to the time he was driving off the property, it took him 2.5 to 3 hours max. And we wanted to hire him twice a month. My wife tried hiring his wife to help clean the house, she declined, said $50 bucks wasn't enough for 1/2 a day, she wanted $100.

Needless to say, these vital-to-our-economy illegal workers weren't hired by us, but the neighbors and surrounding community have made good use of their talents. Their nice people, don't get me wrong, they're just over priced once they get more than 75 to 100 miles north of the river.