Need a dead quiet amp for my khorns now....

Eddie 500

You can't tell the players even with a program.

As I said before, the only electronic component that had hum problems with my Khorns was a NAD T163 pre/pro.  All electronics I've tried with Khorns hiss just a bit,  but when you get several feet away (12 feet diagonal right now), the hiss all but vanishes.

The year of manufacture does not seem to be important.  If anything, some older electronics may be more hum-free, since many speakers of the '50s & '60s were almost as efficient at Khorns, which would reveal hum nicely, while the modern mean seems to be about 90 dB/wt/M (as opposed to the Khorn's 105 dB/wt/M).  Here are some components I have owned that produce no hum with Khorns, but slight hiss:

Solid State:

NAD c272 power amps (150 wpc)

Yamaha MX-600U power amp (135 wpc)

Marantz AV7005 pre/pro

Tube:

Dyna Mark IV (what we now call) mono blocks (40 watts each)

Dyna pax pre-amp

McIntosh C28 preamp

McIntosh mc 40 tube amp (40 watts)

Tapco mixer (model forgotten)

DH 1 mixer, with associated preamps

Edited by garyrc

Eddie, I wish you were close man, I have a sx1250 in the living room hooked to LaScala's, and a sx1080 in the garage hooked to LaScala's. Its unbelievable how good they sound, i've been playing with high end audio for 30 years and I can tell you that match is hard to beat, imo you would have to go McIntosh to do so. I have a Mac MC7150 with a MX113 pre and there just is not that much difference for the money the Mac stuff cost. What you need to go with your LaScala's is an sx950/980 or sx1050/1080 or you can look for the monster sx1250/1280 although you really dont need it. Awhile back I was having my 1080 gone through and plopped in an 850 for a spell and there was very little dropoff, VERY little, the Scala's are so effecient(sp) you just need a good source, and the sx's are a fantastic source...Roost

Eddie, ole Roost is in Texas, I really dont want to sell anything but keep an eye out and one will pop up, prolly on craigslst. Living in NY with all those millions of folks I would think you could find one in a month, i'm gonna pm you my email, I check it daily, and if you run into something your not sure about you can hit me up

I would recommend separates/Tubes (NOS Valves VRDs Favorite - Stronger Base with same silky smooth Midrange vs McIntosh MC240) for warmth reasons if K-Horns are stock with Stock Midrange drivers.  

Since you prefer singe solid state I would look at a used McIntosh (MC126) to stay on warm side to complement K-Horn midrange . . .

Edited by BE36
  • Like 1

FYI I had issues with hum and noise, Klipsh are reveling of everything that is on recording, fixed most of the issues with good grounding and good pre-amp. Good amp resolved last 10%. Now is recording is "Black" sound is also Black, some recordings though are impossible to get black background unless they get remix at a good studio . . .

Almost forgot dimmer switches in of position was another key to low noise.

Edited by BE36
  • Like 1

once again, i'll throw the panasonic saxr receivers out there if you want black, and are considering affordable options. they really are incredible with high efficiency speakers. the one caveat being you should be relatively committed to digital media since they are digital receivers. being digital amps, you won't ever need to worry about having a good DA converter or sound card. i spent many years powering klipsch speakers with pioneer, sony, etc. and the results all are mediocre compared to the panasonic i'm currently using, and even more important, i feel no immediate need to spend thousands more to get better sound quality. the only time you hear any background noise whatsoever, is if the source was originally a noisy analog recording, and then  only at obscenely high volume levels. they can be had quite easily for ~$100 and hold their value.

Khornbred- did you ever do a comparo of the panosonic sa-xr and the pioneer 1250?

Almost everyone here is suggesting a 70's receiver except you and a few tube lovers.

Exactly which panosonic model are you talking about?

I'm trying to learn something here-thanks in advance...Eddie

i cannot comment on the pioneer 1250. likwe rivernugget said, the saxr55 and 57 are good candidates. i have the 57. i've used it on both of my systems at times, with my khorns but usually powering my cf-3s.

these digital amps are not highly regarded by the rest of the audio community because they run out of power with inefficient speakers. not a problem with your khorns.

i too, am a tube lover, but my mistress is the panny. it gets more use than my tube amps do.

Thx for the recommendations Gary.

Don't think I wanna go seperates, nor tubes.

Im thinking I like a receiver or maybe even an AVR for my application of 2 channel listening with me khorns.

Don't know what you're thinkin, but I've got 2 Krell amps (3 channel KAV-3250, and a TAS which is a 5 channel), as well as a Krell 7.1 HTS. Pure Class A, dead quiet..... waaaaay overkill for the Heritage. Have all the boxes, manuals and remote. PM me if you're interested. I'm located near San Antonio area.

I've heard a sx1050 and 850, and 2 saxr Panasonic models in my system... it wasn't very close....

So the SA-XR Panasonics were better?  :biggrin:

Please elaborate. 

Yes they were, better balance top to bottom with lots of inner detail. The sx's sounded dated with upper mids and highs sounding unnatural, with to much decay and hiss around some notes. Also bass notes were bloomy and tracking them up and down scales were harder for the sxs.

Well, I just bot a Pioneer SX-1250. Havent rec'd it yet but should soon.

I will have to give tubes a try in the future but for now I needed something that I can run several sets of speakers off of.

Plus, I got a little one still running rampant around the house and fragile gear is a recipe for disaster.

Ill let you all know how this beast sounds when I get her. :)

I will have to give tubes a try in the future but for now I needed something that I can run several sets of speakers off of.

Plus, I got a little one still running rampant around the house and fragile gear is a recipe for disaster.

You will love it. I have three...[emoji12]

You will love it. I have three...[emoji12]

Three little ones running rampant around the house?!?    :ph34r:

Congrats on your purchase Eddie.  Definitely let us know your thoughts on this delicious new piece of gear.  Christmas in June!