Need a dead quiet amp for my khorns now....

Eddie 500

Buy only with the right to return.

My NAD C 272 power amps emit a slight hiss that can be heard only when one gets a few feet from one of the Khorns, but my NAD pre/pro hissed like a puff adder in heat.  My current pre/pro AV7005 is as quiet as the c 272s (I use them together).

• Like 2

if you want a cheap amp that sounds good with horn speakers you could try one of the Panasonic saxr models. Tons of people find these amps are much better than many amps costing many times more. I think they sell for around 125.00. Do some research, there is info everywhere about them.

• Like 1

Do you have a budget?

As you know one of the great benefits of your speakers is that you don't big watts to get high dbl' s. That said, you might find that you can focus your time and energy on amps and manufacturers that offer products with a bit more of a quality over quantity kind of mind set. You've made a choice in your speakers that was obviously based on quality I'd urge you to put real quality watts behind them, you'll hear the difference and be glad you did. I wouldn't rule out tubes, or SS amps for that matter but I think you could find a beautiful low wattage tube set up that would really make your khorns sing. I know jimjimbo was looking to sell his amps and sound stereo 15 special edition (built by forum member Justin Weber), which is relatively new. I had the pleasure of hearing his amp on my cornwalls and it was a great sounding amp. Look in the garage sale section of the forum he might still have it for sale. Also, Maynard and craig (NOSvalves) build great amps that many forum members have bought amps from and been very happy with. I know Thaddeus Smith just bought an amp from Maynard that he is very happy with. 

I went through a similar situation as yourself when I got my cornwalls. I had a emotiva umc-1 that the output gain was just a bit too high and caused a hiss that I didn't hear with my RF-82's. I think matching components is a real concern with different speakers and that there is a certain amount of synergy that takes place.

Good luck with your quest. 

Guest Steven1963

I'm having this problem with the Dynaco tube amp I picked up with the Heresy III's. VERY noisy with the Khorns. And if I add anything into the signal path it gets even worse!  Didn't have this much problem with my DBX amp but it had to go into the shop and I won't have it back for another 4 weeks or so.  I have to live with it until then.  After that I am thinking I will sell the Dynaco.  Tubes just don't appeal to me. But glad I tried them. 

Edited by Steven1963

I'm having this problem with the Dynaco tube amp I picked up with the Heresy III's. VERY noisy with the Khorns. And if I add anything into the signal path it gets even worse!  Didn't have this much problem with my DBX amp but it had to go into the shop and I won't have it back for another 4 weeks or so.  I have to live with it until then.  After that I am thinking I will sell the Dynaco.  Tubes just don't appeal to me. But glad I tried them. 

Something wrong with the Dynaco or setup. They are not noisy when working and properly setup.  

• Like 2

Hi - Steven ,   what was the model of the DBX amplifier you have on repair -as far as the tube amplifier being noisy , can you elaborate more -thanks -

Steve, don't let a bad, unrestored Dynaco tube amp forever remove consideration for tubes. I have had incredible tube amps, and I have had lousy tube amps. They are not all equal.

The Dynaco ST70 tube amplifier was a new built up kit -not an original Dynaco st70 amplifier -

Edited by Randyh

the Dynaco St70 was a kit - correct - get it checked by a competent technician just to verify the odds and ends , it should'nt be hard for a tech to find the noise source  -the second question is also if this is used with a pre-amplifier , you can isolate the preamplifier or test with another preamp to verify whether the noise is still present -

never knew how much buzz my equipment made till I got these efficient speakers.

Id like to stay SS, cause I know thing 0 about tubes. And they seem rather expensive too.

What do you guys like with your Khorns that wont break the bank?

any Sony - Pioneer - Yamaha amplifier will do - from 100$-500$ - Japan made of course -

I don't have Khorn but, I have used vintage Yamaha M 80 and M 70 amps and they have a black floor with zero noise to be heard.  The M 70 also operate in Class A up to 20 watts.  The M 80 has a switch to operate in class A mode.  The M 70's are 200 watt and the M 80 is 250 watts.  The M 70 goes for around $250-400.

Anyone like Nikko gear- alpha2 beta 2 gamma 1 stuff?   from the late 1970's.........may have a line on some near me from orig owner...

Nikko was very low end gear in the mid to late seventies - -