Need a dead quiet amp for my khorns now....

Eddie 500

if you want a cheap amp that sounds good with horn speakers you could try one of the Panasonic saxr models. Tons of people find these amps are much better than many amps costing many times more. I think they sell for around 125.00. Do some research, there is info everywhere about them.

If you want blackness... which I personally love... go class d.

Yes and yes!

Here is a Panasonic SA-XR55.  Juniper's right, it'll probably end auction around $110-125.

Start by getting a used equitech balanced power unit, it'll cut the noise by 10db+

Depends -- if the electronic noise is due to high amplifier gain magnifying preamp noise, it may cut the level by zip.  Gain matching questions underlie quite a bit of this discussion.  Some of the situations described might be helped by a quiet pre or pre-pro and a low-gain amplifier.  Others might be worsened by a crude pre-pro and a very high-gain, very high-power amplifier.  I suspect that equitech wouldn't do much to help in either case.

Edited by LarryC

If you want blackness... which I personally love... go class d.

:emotion-21:

Both my class D amps are completely quiet, no hissss at all.

can you guys recommend a particular brand or model? Thx

Teac AH01 and others in line

NAD D 3020 and others  in line

Pioneer Elite Class D3

Start by getting a used equitech balanced power unit, it'll cut the noise by 10db+

Depends -- if the electronic noise is due to high amplifier gain magnifying preamp noise, it may cut the level by zip.  Gain matching questions underlie quite a bit of this discussion.  Some of the situations described might be helped by a quiet pre or pre-pro and a low-gain amplifier.  Others might be worsened by a crude pre-pro and a very high-gain, very high-power amplifier.  I suspect that equitech wouldn't do much to help in either case.

Is that from experience? Because my experience is opposite, balanced power reduces noise from virtual all components, including the monitor which was a huge surprise to me...

Is that from experience? Because my experience is opposite, balanced power reduces noise from virtual all components, including the monitor which was a huge surprise to me...

I admit I haven't had experience with Equitec.  Rather, it was experience with preamp and amplifier gain matching issues over many years, and extensive installation of isolated ground circuits in metal-clad conduit.  The biggest noise reduction was from replacing a dimmer switch for incandescent lights with a dimmer made specifically for transformer-based halogen lighting.  Someone tried to talk me into a balanced power system, but it was involved and expensive, and I was already spending a bundle on other power stuff.  I guess I'm skeptical about big reductions in hum and noise, but would like to hear it.  I don't think hiss can be reduced by power supply exotica, because those would help with EMI and MRI, but not electronic emissions it seems to me.

Power regenerators can reduce motor speed irregularities in TT's, CD transports and tape decks.  That can have a quieting effect, in addition to the lower apparent noise from such units.

Edited by LarryC

Got it, yup, dimmer and CFL generates an unbelievable amount of noise into the lines, I got a meter to see it.

Used Equitech is actually pretty cheap, I got a 2R unit for $500! The amount of difference it made is literally as big as switching speakers. I heard clarity like never before. Note that the non-Q unit buzz enough that you need them outside the room...

The downside is it got me to start on a upgrade train that still haven't stopped 5 months latter.

When I started this thread I thot folks were gonna say McIntosh or Luxman or others. I guess theyre not that quiet?

actually any Japanese Amplifier will be better - and definitely  Sansui - these were very high end quality and very tough - solid - and very long lasting -

I have run my Klipshorns with a lot of different amps, receivers, etc, One of the very good ones is an AVR, Sony DA5300ES. Dead quiet and I only have $50 in it. 

I run them most often with my heavily modded Sansui 7900. I have also tried a dead quiet HH Scott 322. Only of their early SS receivers currently pushing my Epic CF-2. 

I have run my Klipshorns with a lot of different amps, receivers, etc, One of the very good ones is an AVR, Sony DA5300ES. Dead quiet and I only have $50 in it. 

I run them most often with my heavily modded Sansui 7900. I have also tried a dead quiet HH Scott 322. Only of their early SS receivers currently pushing my Epic CF-2.

Perfect answer - 100% in agreement

When I started this thread I thot folks were gonna say McIntosh or Luxman or others. I guess theyre not that quiet?

I think it was your words, "tubes are expensive" and "and won't break the bank"............ Good Mac and Lux can be expensive....

For dead quiet, those fancy new Benchmark amps look great, at least on paper.  Extraordinary, DACesque s/n specs, kinda lowish gain, and plenty of power.  Doesn't one of the regulars around here have one of those?  I thought so, but not sure.

Edited by Ski Bum