Need a dead quiet amp for my khorns now....

Eddie 500

I had the gains turned way up on my amp which was causing the hum to be more noticeable....now that Ive turned them down its not as noticeable.

Its still not "black noise"

Hum is typically a grounding problem, at least on solid state it is.

You can pick up an excellent condition used totl surround receiver, preferably THX certified, for whatever you feel like paying off of Craigslist.

Read the reviews on the units that catch your eye and check for comments on the forums, just search on Google with the model info AVS will probably pop.

Pioneer Elite, Yamaha and the TOTL Sonys come to mind.

This gets you a  class AB integrated with all of the decoders and interfaces for a couple of hundred dollars, you can set them up to run as stereos.....2.0, 2.1, 2.2.

My Mac, Yamaha MX amps and Pioneer Elite AVRs are all dead quite on full volume with no music.

I didn't read all the posts. Do we know the other components in the OP's system? Is he looking for sweetness or ground pounding? Sorry if I missed the facts but I can't recommend unless I know about his system and requirements.

See, Russ?  WHICH COAST!  :D

Anyway, I have several SA-XRs in service and think they are pretty extraordinary.  I buy them because they are cheap and sound like a million bucks.  And dead quiet.

If you have a good pre, the Crown Class Ds are pretty incredible for the money.  Those at the Hope gathering...including the guy at 1.6 miles away...can attest to that.

Dave

Guest Steven1963

I'm having this problem with the Dynaco tube amp I picked up with the Heresy III's. VERY noisy with the Khorns. And if I add anything into the signal path it gets even worse!  Didn't have this much problem with my DBX amp but it had to go into the shop and I won't have it back for another 4 weeks or so.  I have to live with it until then.  After that I am thinking I will sell the Dynaco.  Tubes just don't appeal to me. But glad I tried them. 

Hi - Steven ,   what was the model of the DBX amplifier you have on repair -as far as the tube amplifier being noisy , can you elaborate more -thanks -

It's a DBX BX3 Mii.

The noise in the amp isn't a hum, it's a buzz. And I mean a seriously loud buzz.  I haven't broken out the meter yet, but at a guess I'd say it adds 10db at idle, conservatively. Just annoying as all hell.  I've tried everything I can think of: swapping cables, eliminating the preamp and going straight from source (google play using my phone for volume), keeping power/speaker cables apart. I even had the amp apart last night looking for loose connections and I removed all the tubes and reinserted. Nothing helps.  It's got to be a bad part somewhere but I'm not a tech so I have no idea where to start.

I can't put it in the shop right now otherwise I'd be completely without tunes until the DBX comes back which isn't for another 3 weeks or so. :(

Edited by Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

Steve, don't let a bad, unrestored Dynaco tube amp forever remove consideration for tubes. I have had incredible tube amps, and I have had lousy tube amps. They are not all equal.

The Dynaco ST70 tube amplifier was a new built up kit -not an original Dynaco st70 amplifier -

Yeah, Triode Electronics kit.   

I don't know how strong your antipathy towards firebottles is, but Quicksilver used to make a moderately priced tube amp for efficient speakers, called, appropriately enough, the "Horn Mono." Cute little things, and really quiet.

Stay away from the solid state H-K Citations. Good sounding, but, even when they were new had a reputation for being a bit noisy. I know mine were.

The Dynaco thing might be a tube giving up the ghost.

looks sweet but I gotta pass.....

I also have my restored Fisher 500c for sale. But its integrated, and it looks like you might try to be getting out of tubes.

Its dead quiet on my Cornscalas. The unit itself does have a tiny amount of hum if you put your ear like right ontop of it.

The quietest and best sounding amp I've used so far with my KPT-904's is a Red Wine Audio Signature 16. It uses a battery and a smart charger to compleatly isolate it from mains power. Dead effing quiet. And a single tube buffer stage to add some sweetness. It's amazing.

I got mine used off AGon for about $1100.

- Woody

post-58334-0-46500000-1432053238_thumb.j

Edited by Jonathan Wood
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Quicksilver Horn amps are purposefully low gain.  So is that new fancy Benchmark amp for that matter.  Those eye popping, DAC like specs don't just result from fancy circuitry (although their achievements are nothing to scoff at), as simply having lower gain helps those numbers considerably.  Whether you go with tubes or a state of the art amp like the Benchmark, sensible gain staging of the system is a key ingredient in the "dead quiet" recipe.