Voice coil blown in my K33B woofer what would you do to rectify?

gfong

Voice coil is blown in my K33B square magnet woofer out of my 79 La Scala. The other woofer is reading okay. I plan on keeping these many years so I am curious what I should do for the replacement.

Here are my options and add if I forgot any...

1. Crites woofer (new) (Do not want to use the Cast Frame)

2. Klipsch K33E woofer with round magnet (new)

3. Used if I could find but search brings nothing of interest

4. Reconing service (I am in Ontario, Canada so reconing with parts could get costly)

I am doing the caps as well since the speakers are out of commission for awhile. I have decided on Crites for the caps kit.

Would you:

A: buy one Crites or other K33E with round magnet

B: buy 2 and replace both even thought the other is fine for now but is a K33B with square magnet

C: look into reconing only if cost was a lot less then the price of a replacement woofer

D: other.. add any other suggestions :)

If I only get one woofer does having the original K33B square Magnet in the other speaker make any difference? I know the B is for Brownsville but what about the square vs round mag on the replacement K33's? The crossover decides what freq to send to the woofers but with one brand new and one 36 years old woofer would the sound be the same?

Thanks

Edited by gfong
  • Like 1

I'm not so big on re-coning. The re-cone kits are all gone, so what you would get would not match the original K-33 Thiele Small specs of the original design. 

I would either buy a pair of tested K-33-E's or a pair of Crites replacements. Sell the pair of K-33-B's but make sure to say one is bad and what exactly is bad about it.

• Like 1

Cut off the dustcap and measure the actual voice-coil.

21leadsthroughconeandlaidflat.jpg

I'll wager it's just the tinsel leads that are bad.

Replace the tinsel leads on both woofers, and replace both dustcaps with the ones used on the K33E.

It would take a re-cone shop less than an hour to do both, you could do it yourself in a couple of hours.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/dead-as-a-door-nail_topic5731_post48325.html?KW=dust+cap

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/140231-how-to-recone-a-k-33-woofer/?hl=ferrule#entry1579114

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/152507-klipschorn-woofer/?hl=ferrule#entry1784499

Edited by djk
  • Like 2

Voice coil is blown in my K33B square magnet woofer out of my 79 La Scala. The other woofer is reading okay. I plan on keeping these many years so I am curious what I should do for the replacement.

4. Reconing service (I am in Ontario, Canada so reconing with parts could get costly)

I am doing the caps as well since the speakers are out of commission for awhile. I have decided on Crites for the caps kit.

Would you:

B: buy 2 and replace both even thought the other is fine for now but is a K33B with square magnet

C: look into reconing only if cost was a lot less then the price of a replacement woofer

If I only get one woofer does having the original K33B square Magnet in the other speaker make any difference? I know the B is for Brownsville but what about the square vs round mag on the replacement K33's? The crossover decides what freq to send to the woofers but with one brand new and one 36 years old woofer would the sound be the same?

Thanks

gfong,

The original square magnet woofers you have now are better than the new K-33E round magnet ones. Personally I would have the one you have fixed if possible by a competent professional or recone both.

Bob Crites replacement woofer was designed around the K-33E square magnet woofer from my memory.

I've owned multiple pairs of Klipschorns and LaScalas at the same time.

My brother in law lives about 5 miles from me and owns Klipschorns as well. I took a LaScala over to his house and we personally switched out and A/Bd the K-33E round magnet woofer, the K-33E square magnet woofer, a Crites steel frame woofer, a K-43E steel framed woofer, a K-43E Cast frame woofer, a K-44E cast frame woofer, and an Electro Voice EV 15W-K woofer. The K-33E in square and round were used of course in Klipschorn, LaScala, etc., K-43s were used in Pro LaScala, and MWMs, the K-44E was used in Pro Klipschorns = TSCM, and the Electro Voice EV 15W-K was used in early Klipschorns (the "K" denotes Klipsch)

The Electro Voice EV 15W-K sounded the best to both of us, and I am going to be selling a pair of these that have been fully restored shortly, but you are talking several times the money of the Crites cast frame woofers. PM me for pictures and a price, but I wont be able to reply until Friday.

I know a reconer in Ft. Wayne, Indianna that is the only guy authorized by Electro Voice to recone their obsolete speakers that's work cannot be compared to anyone elses and he could fix or recone your speaker or speakers correctly. His name is Tom and his phone number is 260-494-1677

Roger

Would you:

Thanks

Just curious, why do you not want to use the Crites cast frame woofer?

Would you:

Thanks

Just curious, why do you not want to use the Crites cast frame woofer?

Probably because you have to grind away aluminum on two opposite sides of the basket to get them to fit in a LaScala would be my guess.

Roger

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions and links, much appreciated. TwistedCrankCammer was correct as I do not want to make them fit into my cabs and I am plenty fine with the sound from the 33's, no use changing something that works for me. I have absolutely nothing against the cast frame as far as speakers go and have not heard them!

checking the voice coil tonight.

Edited by gfong

This was indeed some great advice all the way around. It will be interesting and a really good thing if the VC is good and the tinsels were bad. Somehow when I think of a blown driver I think more that it has a dead short. If it is an open lead, the tinsels could indeed be at fault!

Okay, I took both woofers out and put the ohm meter on the one that I think is bad speaker A. 3.3 reading. Checked the other one speaker B

and 3.3 reading as well. Push down on speaker A and you can hear rubbing beneath the dust cap. Speaker B no rubbing what so ever. When the speakers were hooked up speaker A's woofer would cut the voices in and out and sometimes not be heard at all. Speaker B ran fine. That is why I thought that the voice coil was gone or on its way out.

Has anybody ever tried re-centering and re-gluing the spider and the surround? In other works, if you carefully cut away the spider from the magnet and the surround from the frame, perhaps you could re-cone it with the old cone. Is that a nutty idea? Look at this thread and you can see what's inside the woofer in question. Maybe you can see what I mean...

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/140231-how-to-recone-a-k-33-woofer/

Is the spider glued down firmly? If that popped up, things could be out of alignment. 

Would you:

Thanks

gfong,

The original square magnet woofers you have now are better than the new K-33E round magnet ones. Personally I would have the one you have fixed if possible by a competent professional or recone both.

Bob Crites replacement woofer was designed around the K-33E square magnet woofer from my memory.

My brother in law lives about 5 miles from me and owns Klipschorns as well. I took a LaScala over to his house and we personally switched out and A/Bd the K-33E round magnet woofer, the K-33E square magnet woofer, a Crites steel frame woofer, a K-43E steel framed woofer, a K-43E Cast frame woofer, a K-44E cast frame woofer, and an Electro Voice EV 15W-K woofer. The K-33E in square and round were used of course in Klipschorn, LaScala, etc., K-43s were used in Pro LaScala, and MWMs, the K-44E was used in Pro Klipschorns = TSCM, and the Electro Voice EV 15W-K was used in early Klipschorns (the "K" denotes Klipsch)

The Electro Voice EV 15W-K sounded the best to both of us, and I am going to be selling a pair of these that have been fully restored shortly, but you are talking several times the money of the Crites cast frame woofers. PM me for pictures and a price, but I wont be able to reply until Friday.

I know a reconer in Ft. Wayne, Indianna that is the only guy authorized by Electro Voice to recone their obsolete speakers that's work cannot be compared to anyone elses and he could fix or recone your speaker or speakers correctly. His name is Tom and his phone number is 260-494-1677

Roger

hi - Roger - can you send us a picture of this EV 15W-K -   is this a 4 ohms speaker - or 8 ohms - just curiouds to see this beast - I always fancied EV products - they absolutely sound great versus the Eminence -   

by the way - Klipsch is making woofers , that was shown in the Hope Gathering this year - as well as new mids for the SCALA - I am curious if KLIPSCH will have a replacement in house made K33 -

Decided to take the K33-E woofer replacement from Klipsch parts. Should be here in 7 days. Reconing in my area was too costly. Thanks for all the help.

edit: also ordered from Mr Bob Crites the AA cap kit. Should work out nicely once done.

Edited by gfong
  • Like 1

Would you:

Thanks

gfong,

Roger

hi - Roger - can you send us a picture of this EV 15W-K -   is this a 4 ohms speaker - or 8 ohms - just curiouds to see this beast - I always fancied EV products - they absolutely sound great versus the Eminence -   

by the way - Klipsch is making woofers , that was shown in the Hope Gathering this year - as well as new mids for the SCALA - I am curious if KLIPSCH will have a replacement in house made K33 -

I will try to get pictures done and out this weekend. These are a pair of the early 1950s EV 15W-Ks with the big heavy Alnico Rare Earth Magnets as opposed to the ones made in the 1960s that have Ceramic magnets and the polished Aluminum Bow Tie on the back. While they were apart, we sent the baskets and the bolts that hold the baskets to the magnet housings out to Chrome Masters for repolishing and rechroming. The original recone kits for these are long gone and Tom tested the original EV 15W-K suspension and got these to within a half of one gram. The original had an Aluminum flat wire voice coil as well, and Tom custom wound two new flat aluminum voice coils just like the orriginals. I got some PWK pie logo dust caps from someone inside Klipsch and Tom not only put these on, but they are positioned so they are straight up at 12 oclock when the drivers are mounted with the terminals in the correct location when mounted inside a pair of Klipschorns (even though you cant see this when mounted) Tom also took off the original EV Plaques from the center backs of the magnet structures and these were reattached so that they as well are straight up at 12 oclock when mounted in Klipschorns and yes, they are 4 ohm coils. I did not break them out for people to see until Saturday at Rodneys at the Hope gathering, but I know several people took pictures and I am sure someone would post them if you started a thread asking to see them.

Roger