Klipschorn vs. B&W 802 Diamond

I like your black Khorns Dave.

Thanks.

The pics are close up and I used a flash so the colors are more vibrant but the speakers are just perfect the way I like my front end.  The grill looks grey but is more black and the entire speaker is at the edge of peripheral vision and blends into the corners.  The visual center is still the TV with no front-end clutter.

post-58280-0-75820000-1466733803_thumb.j

I am mulling over mods to the currently unmolested 1978 Khorns.

I have the extra set of SEOS 12 with the DNA-360 CD's I hooked up in place of the K-77 tweeter.  I don't even know if I want to go that route but I am experimenting because I have that luxury. 

They changed the sound stage slightly (taller) but I really don't hear any "improvement."  There are some audio concernsI want to address with the Klipsch community but I'm really thinking I need my own thread.

It's just that there is so much good information in this thread.

I like your black Khorns Dave.

Thanks.

The pics are close up and I used a flash so the colors are more vibrant but the speakers are just perfect the way I like my front end.  The grill looks grey but is more black and the entire speaker is at the edge of peripheral vision and blends into the corners.  The visual center is still the TV with no front-end clutter.

attachicon.gifIMG_4777.JPG

I am mulling over mods to the currently unmolested 1978 Khorns.

I have the extra set of SEOS 12 with the DNA-360 CD's I hooked up in place of the K-77 tweeter.  I don't even know if I want to go that route but I am experimenting because I have that luxury. 

They changed the sound stage slightly (taller) but I really don't hear any "improvement."  There are some audio concernsI want to address with the Klipsch community but I'm really thinking I need my own thread.

It's just that there is so much good information in this thread.

Put bigger, wood mids in.  To my ears, a mid horn upgrade is a bigger improvement with factory drivers, as opposed to better drivers with the factory mid.  

Edited by Max2

Put bigger, wood mids in. To my ears, a mid horn upgrade is a bigger improvement with factory drivers, as opposed to better drivers with the factory mid.

I don't want to put a ton of money into this, but I've been thinking about the mid-horn.

I did try an EV DH1506 compression driver driver, since I had one and since it screwed right onto the back with no modifications.  The spec sheet says it should be crossed at 800 Hz and it will dig down to 500 Hz.  I think it sounds better then the stock Atlas CD, but there is no major difference to my ears.  I read that the stocker works very well.  Again, I changed for the fun of it and because I had the extra part sitting around.

Anytime there is a discussion about Klipsch horns damping the horn with Dyna mat or some other substance is always brought up.  I saw it also earlier in this thread, but in general I don't see damping the Klipsch mid-horn brought up as much.  Do you have any idea why?  Or is it I just haven't seen those horn-damping threads?

Edited by wvu80

I had the B&W N801s and S800s and all of the heritage.

The B&Ws have amazing midrange and clarity.  They really eliminate the cabinet reflections (put your ear behind the marlin head and you can hear clearly, this is what would have been reflected off the cabinet).  They also have the tweeter right next to the midrange driver and they blend as well as a coaxial speaker. 

The power that you are using sounds very low for 800 series.  I used 700 wpc (Classe CAM350 and Bryson 7Bs - 4 ohm speakers) and they needed it. 

The K horns has way more impact, but much worse imaging (flat with a hole in the middle bottom) and broke up at high volume.  This was with the K77's and K55 and K-400.  The B&Ws just get louder, the K Horns sound different when played louder.

My annoyance with the B&Ws was needing so much power.  I wound up with Palladiums, which have more impact and need way less power.  They were a lateral move from the B&Ws.  My annoyance with the Palladiums is having to listen to "Dude, for that much you could have bought blah blah blah..."  That does not seem to happen with the B&W 800s. 

They are power hungry, but I am waiting for my Adcom 555II to return from service. Double the power of my current rig. However, the get loud enough for me as is. But double the current power will definitely help!

B&W seem to have a hot spot in the upper mid-treble. I have verified the same through measurements on a number of their designs. I have never warmed up to them as that hump made vocals sound less real but I guess Klipsch can be accused of the same thing.  Since Klipsch are much simpler designs, much easier to tweak and get a lot more mileage out of.  The higher efficiency lends much that can be done in the crossover where when you are using a lower efficiency speaker, when you start smoothing some of the rough edges, you take even more away from the efficiency.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread.  Out of interest, had the OP tried the Klipschorns vs 802s with OEM Klipsch crossovers instead of the aftermarket versions?  Perhaps the AK5 crossovers would correct the anomalies he found during his comparison.  I'm interested in this topic as I'm considering the purchase of a pair of preloved 802 D2s myself or a new pair of Klipschorns for the same price.