Heresy's with a front edge moulding?

Stump

From the attached pictures, you can see moulding on the front edge of my 1979 Hersesy, H-BR, cabinets. Was this from the factory? I'm going to be refinishing these soon and want to do it right. This finish is horrible and I don't want to waste time stripping the finish from the mouldings if they weren't original. I've only seen a similar moulding on one other pair that was on E Bay about a month or so ago.

Thanks.

post-61064-0-49840000-1430148772_thumb.j

post-61064-0-54400000-1430148802_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nope   My new scalas in 1980 came with flat screen molding then about 1981 or 82 they put on  Base shoe molding which looked a lot better. When I re-did my Scalas I used base shoe molding with grills from Klipsch which look perfect now. There is a post of my Scalas on here with pics of the grill and it is removable now I put magnets under the veneer. But that Heresy grill should be recessed even with the front of the cabinet..   Rick

Edited by ricktate
  • Like 1

Somebody installed that molding after the purchase, likely in order to hide the plys on the front edges of the cabinet...probably done at same time the speakers were stained and finished...because those HBR Heresys left the factory RAW (no finish on them).  HBR=Heresy Birch Raw.  Likely to have been built by me, too, since the vast majority that year were built by me.

We did (actually the sanding room did it) round over the edges of some of the Heresys and other INDUSTRIAL cabinets...the rounding over was not a normal option for NON-Industrial versions.  BUT, we never MOULDED the edges other than rounding over with a hand router.  That moulding was ADDED after the purchase...not done at the factory.

Edited by HDBRbuilder
  • Like 1

Somebody installed that molding after the purchase, likely in order to hide the plys on the front edges of the cabinet...probably done at same time the speakers were stained and finished...because those HBR Heresys left the factory RAW (no finish on them).  HBR=Heresy Birch Raw.  Likely to have been built by me, too, since the vast majority that year were built by me.

We did (actually the sanding room did it) round over the edges of some of the Heresys and other INDUSTRIAL cabinets...the rounding over was not a normal option for NON-Industrial versions.  BUT, we never MOULDED the edges other than rounding over with a hand router.  That moulding was ADDED after the purchase...not done at the factory.

Thank you. That's the best answer a guy could ask for, right from the builder's mouth. I'm probably going to refinish without them.

• Like 1

It looked like the edges had been routed over instead of molding. But it could just be my old eyes! Bobby Barham was who hot me my Heresies. He asked me how I wanted the efge.

You meant Ronnie Barham, right? Ronnie was in the cabinet shop, along with his brother-in-law, Charles Horn. For a time they were "co-foremen" of the cabinet shop.

hey Andy, couple names from your time at klipsch

Larry Bentsen and Crazy Doug

i bought my 77 Heresys ( WO ) from Larry who had crazy Doug build them for him

the veneer is spak tak ular

Edited by Budman

Looks like added moulding to me, can you see plies through the stain or fasteners? I'd guess not factory, but then never say never with Klipsch. There were some modifications to cabinets that were never noted on the labels, particularly with LSI. 

• Like 1

Andy, Bobby was the plant accountant. He also worked out in the plant at one time. I worked a lot of environmental complaints for Klipsch against Hudson Foods. Bobby just happened to be the one in the office I happened to ask about getting a pair of speakers. I have seen Bobby's signature on labels in the past also. Seems like everyone I knew in that time period at Klipsch rotated through the inspection station at one time or another.

Inspection station was actually final assembly...the person who installed the drivers/horns/crossover networks and the back panel (when there was STILL a back panel)...was the inspector signatory on the labels. Whenever orders had to go out but there was a backlog in getting the final assembly and testing and packing done, people were shifted to where there was a need...normally final assembly or packing and stacking. I am pretty good at both since I spent SOME time at least once a year doing one, the other or both...as did most of the builders and sanders and some of the office personnel, when necessary.

• Like 1

Looks like added moulding to me, can you see plies through the stain or fasteners? I'd guess not factory, but then never say never with Klipsch. There were some modifications to cabinets that were never noted on the labels, particularly with LSI.

It's added moulding, not routed edges.