10" Sub Build

sean5340

Well, it sounds fantastic. The bass is tight and very clean. I did make a discovery after researching my amp it is 90 wrms not 150. It doesn't matter because it is plenty for this application. I guess the real test was how mad could I make my wife. She was very mad. :)

This is probably going to be it's new home. I'll spend tomorrow on the finish.

post-21249-0-76960000-1430444203_thumb.j

post-21249-0-31920000-1430444777_thumb.j

Edited by sean5340
  • Like 1

Sean, that fan is awesome!  The sub is cool too. But that fan makes me want one!  

I like the way you did the terminals on the back.  Effective, and low cost.

Congrats on upsetting the wife. Now you need to piss off the neighbors. That's what we do around these parts.  :)

Yeah I have the ability to piss off my rear (about 80 yards away) neighbors already. I have 3 pairs of speakers that cover my patio, swimming pool and BBQ area. This sub will only add to the chaos.

After quite a bit of listening to various genres and some movie tracks I have to say this sub sounds really nice. It is very musical and shines in that respect. I don't have measuring equipment but my ears tell me it's pretty solid to 35-40hz and does OK in the upper 20's to 35hz.

I'm curious about the performance of the RPW-10. I would imagine it was good bang for the buck. Anybody have some impressions on it?

Sean, that fan is awesome!  The sub is cool too. But that fan makes me want one!  

I like the way you did the terminals on the back.  Effective, and low cost.

Congrats on upsetting the wife. Now you need to piss off the neighbors. That's what we do around these parts.   :)

It is an awesome fan. Unbelievable how quiet it is too. It was left when I bought the house.

Edited by sean5340

Man, the quality of Home Depot MDF has gone way down. This won't sand smooth for anything. :( I'm gonna prime and spray paint to protect it from moisture then probably veneer it next weekend. The corners and edges are nice and straight.

Well the finish is not terrible but I am not satisfied. The MDF will not sand smooth. I will either apply veneer or sand again next weekend after the paint has completely cured. It does sound great though and the wife is cool with the finish as is. :)

Oh, I'll be building the grill this afternoon.

post-21249-0-08080000-1430506585_thumb.j

Edited by sean5340
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the finish is not terrible but I am not satisfied. The MDF will not sand smooth. I will either apply veneer or sand again next weekend after the paint has completely cured. It does sound great though and the wife is cool with the finish as is. :)

Oh, I'll be building the grill this afternoon.

What I've found to work well when wanting a painted finish on MDF is to forgo the normal wood sealants right off the bat. MDF wicks them up way too easily.

Bondo all endgrain + about 1-2" over to the next panel to obscure that there was a joint. After careful sanding, you'll obscure enough to where it looks like a continuous panel. After the bondo, the best sealant I've found is fiberglass resin. It seals and hardens the wood surface, plus since it's not very viscous, it clogs all of the pores in the MDF which gives you a great seal + high build. After about two coats, you should be priming an ultra smooth layer of fiberglass rather than the sponge called MDF. Then, it's all about many light coats rather than a few heavy coats with even wet sanding in between. Goes for both priming and painting. Hope this helps :) 

• Like 1

Bondo all endgrain

Endgrain on MDF???  I've never had an issue.  Bondo the seam, yes but I've never seen end or any grain on MDF.

Latex primer works great on MDF if you're going with paint for a finish or Duratex.

Thanks for that heads up! I've had success in the past but I think I rushed this one a little. If I remember correctly I wiped the surfaces with a damp cloth between each sanding to raise the grain. I'm sure I sanded them four or five times plus wet sanded between primer coats.

post-21249-0-12920000-1431522112_thumb.j

post-21249-0-59360000-1431522124_thumb.j

Bondo all endgrain

Endgrain on MDF???  I've never had an issue.  Bondo the seam, yes but I've never seen end or any grain on MDF.

Latex primer works great on MDF if you're going with paint for a finish or Duratex.

I guess grain isn't the right term, I mean the exposed cut ends rather than the smooth face panels. :)

Where are you guys finding this grainy MDF????? :P

I'd keep the MDF as dry as possible.  Use compressed air and a dry rag or a tack cloth if you're needing a clean surface.  Use dust protection over your mouth and nose when working with that stuff!!!!