Klipsch Cartridge; thoughts?

USNRET

Klipsch actually designed cartridges same time he was starting on horns.

I've always wanted one of them.

Love this bit of marketing.

http://www.itishifi.com/2013/11/pwk-and-hiroaki-hibino-phono-cartridges.html

http://www.itishifi.com/2010/10/klipsch-mcz-phono-cartridges.html

PWK had nothing to do with the design of those cartridges, but the company DID market them for a few years...I was there for the few years they marketed them...but they were exceptionally expensive...and I was already running a JVC 4MD-20X (made by Audio-Technica for marketing by JVC)on my turntable, and it wasn't any slouch of a cartridge, plus was a CD-4 cartridge with Shibata nude diamond stylus...yes, I had (and STILL have) CD-4 (Discrete) records.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Klipsch actually designed cartridges same time he was starting on horns.

I've always wanted one of them.

Love this bit of marketing.

http://www.itishifi.com/2013/11/pwk-and-hiroaki-hibino-phono-cartridges.html

http://www.itishifi.com/2010/10/klipsch-mcz-phono-cartridges.html

PWK had nothing to do with the design of those cartridges, but the company DID market them for a few years...I was there for the few years they marketed them...but they were exceptionally expensive...and I was already running a JVC 4MD-20X (made by Audio-Technica for marketing by JVC)on my turntable, and it wasn't any slouch of a cartridge, plus was a CD-4 cartridge with Shibata nude diamond stylus...yes, I had (and STILL have) CD-4 (Discrete) records.

True and the marketing does mention who designed the cartridges.

Did you see the elusive Klipsch branded turntable?

Pro Audio in Oakland had the Klipsch cartridges in -- gosh, I guess it was the '70s.  One was "Zingier" than the other.  It had a slow climb from about 10 K to the top (20 K ??).  It complemented the K77 tweeter in the Klipschorn, La Scala, Belle, and, at the time, the Cornwall and the Heresy.

They sounded great with Khorns at Pro Audio!  I've always loved moving coil designs.

A very similar cartridge, made by the same company, was marketed under a different trade name.  A frequency response curve in one of the magazines showed a nearly 5 dB increase above 10K.

Interesting that all these years later, Audyssey boosts my K77Fs in my Khorns and Belle by 5 to 6 dB above 10 K (the room response, slightly off axis, comes out +1 dB at 10 K, virtually flat at 12K, and -2 dB at 16 K.

• 6 years later...

I have a Klipsch Boron MC cartridge had it rebuilt when I heard that cartridge production was halting. I use it on a Denon DP 3500 Turntable with SME 3 arm Phase Linear amps 3 700B, 2 D500 II Yamaha 9-2   Theater Preamp. Speakers 4 1974 K Horns, 4  1977 Industrial La Scala surrounds , an Industrial Heresy Center, and an 18” Behringer Sub. I find the cartridge too brassy for classical passages, but for rock and electronica, there is no equal.

Edited by Mike Bell
Misspelling
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mike Bell said:

I have a Klipsch Boron MC cartridge had it rebuilt when I heard that cartridge production was halting. I use it on a Denon DP 3500 Turntable with SME 3 arm Phase Linear amps 3 700B, 2 D500 II Yamaha 9-2   Theater Preamp. Speakers 4 1974 K Horns, 3 Industrial La Scalas surrounds , Industrial Heresy Center, and an 18” Behringer Sub. I find the cartridge too brassy for classical passages, but for rock and electronica, there is no equal.

Welcome to the forum!

19 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Interesting old thread! 

@seti I'll expand your link a little to that great writeup/advertisement

https://www.itishifi.com/archives//2013/11/pwk-and-hiroaki-hibino-phono-cartridges.html?rq=pwk and hiroaki hibino

Boron was new to being used as cantilevers then? It works very well.

I actually have a Klipsch cartridge on my backup turntable a Braun PS600. I have a second cart and it is on its way to be rebuilt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Boron was new to being used as cantilevers then?

Boron belongs to the rare earth elements and is an ideally suited material for the production of needle carriers. High stiffness is achieved at a particularly low density.

The speed of sound propagation exceeds that of aluminum by about 2.6 times!

• Like 2

On 5/16/2015 at 5:29 PM, garyrc said:

Pro Audio in Oakland had the Klipsch cartridges in -- gosh, I guess it was the '70s.  One was "Zingier" than the other.  It had a slow climb from about 10 K to the top (20 K ??).  It complemented the K77 tweeter in the Klipschorn, La Scala, Belle, and, at the time, the Cornwall and the Heresy.

They sounded great with Khorns at Pro Audio!  I've always loved moving coil designs.

A very similar cartridge, made by the same company, was marketed under a different trade name.  A frequency response curve in one of the magazines showed a nearly 5 dB increase above 10K.

Interesting that all these years later, Audyssey boosts my K77Fs in my Khorns and Belle by 5 to 6 dB above 10 K (the room response, slightly off axis, comes out +1 dB at 10 K, virtually flat at 12K, and -2 dB at 16 K.

I believe those same cartridge were made for Mark Levinson.

image.jpeg.8a8367d89dfbb5dac4a09c50c4b94a03.jpeg

image.jpeg.6c21b5dcdd4308e5434b4e8c054cf22e.jpeg

About this same time Klipsch was showing up at trade shows using Levinson amplification.

Related story: At a CES show I was in the Levinson room talking with Levinson's national sales rep. He asks what speakers I'm using and I sheepishly replied "Klipschorns". (Klipschorns were very un-audiophile at the time). The Rep smiles and says "Mark grew up listening to Klipschorns. His father had them." And then he says "The ML-2 was designed with two speakers in mind, Quad ESL and Klipschorns".

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 12:25 PM, artto said:

I believe those same cartridge were made for Mark Levinson.

image.jpeg.8a8367d89dfbb5dac4a09c50c4b94a03.jpeg

image.jpeg.6c21b5dcdd4308e5434b4e8c054cf22e.jpeg

About this same time Klipsch was showing up at trade shows using Levinson amplification.

Related story: At a CES show I was in the Levinson room talking with Levinson's national sales rep. He asks what speakers I'm using and I sheepishly replied "Klipschorns". (Klipschorns were very un-audiophile at the time). The Rep smiles and says "Mark grew up listening to Klipschorns. His father had them." And then he says "The ML-2 was designed with two speakers in mind, Quad ESL and Klipschorns".

:rolleyes:

Very cool story...

Levinson comments on Khorns are in several articles. Good stuff. The Klipsch cartridge was also under the brand Zenn. I have never seen the diamond cartridge nor has anyone else.