2 Channel Newbie

gadgtfreek

So, with my smaller Klipsch RF82ii's I always run music in 2.2 (towers and subs). Last night I went thru all modes on the preamp, and was utterly shocked how much the 7ii's thumped my chair and how clean the sound was.

I will not be using subs any more when I listen to music, it actually sounded worse! "Pure" mode for me.

7ii's+AV7702+Model 7500 = Bliss for me

It's always a shame when you realize what you have been missing...

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 2

• Moderators

If it sounds better to you it is better.

I wonder if you had the sub to hot or overlapping the mains to much ? Or is it just the different electronics program changing the sound, it's a shame "pure" can't include the sub. With pure and the sub adjusted correctly I would think it should sound better, sub should only be doing what the mains can't. 

• Like 1

The majority of the time, the less signal processing the better.

I was at a guy's house a few years ago who had a pretty high end system using a TaCT DSP preamp with room correction. We switched it for a 30 year old ARC SP6 tube preamp and the improvement was staggering.

Less is more IMHO when it comes to electronics.

As for subs, that can be a slippery slope. If done right, they can be an enhancement. But all too many times people don't know how to dial in the sub and create more problems. I prefer a full range (or close to) speaker over a speaker/sub combo.

Shakey

• Like 5

So, with my smaller Klipsch RF82ii's I always run music in 2.2 (towers and subs). Last night I went thru all modes on the preamp, and was utterly shocked how much the 7ii's thumped my chair and how clean the sound was.

I will not be using subs any more when I listen to music, it actually sounded worse! "Pure" mode for me.

7ii's+AV7702+Model 7500 = Bliss for me

It's always a shame when you realize what you have been missing...

Marantz?

I dont find enough bass in pure direct. I do however have to turn the volume down on the sub quite a bit or it will overpower the rest of the music. I wouldnt use 2 subs with 2 channel music, maybe thats what made it sound "wrong"? But, thats the beauty of the different modes, with a flick of the finger you can change the sound until you find the sweet spot. But if you found your sweet spot, thats all that counts. 

Yes.

I have a 7500 as well  and like the pure on some and other sources not but, yes, think it is decent.

Thinking you used preouts to input the subs. Have to get sub hooked up soon to it as going bookshelf for laughs

maybe a giggle.

Thanks!

BTW, get really decent bass out of my KG5.5's...2 channel

Edited by billybob

• Moderators

To me it's not about the amount of bass, but the frequencies they can reproduce. Of course I want decent bass in the range a main speaker covers but they can only go so far. 

High end or not I don't think a sub is detrimental in any way, when set correctly, most are not I would bet. The mains I use are very good at making really nice bass in my opinion and I still use a sub probably 50% of the time. The sub only covers where the mains can't on some music, otherwise you can't tell it's on.

I agree about Audyssey, I don't have it but would bet it may help with unusual rooms but it probably could go either way in many rooms and possibly making it worse in some cases?

Like anything to do with this hobby, if a sub makes the sound worse, don't use one.

It's all just another opinion, but it's all I can do, add another oponion . :D   

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

When I first got my RB-75's, I had no idea which rig I was going to put them in.  So I decided to create a 2-channel system in my living room where I never had a rig before.  I paired them with my Cambridge Audio 640A integrated and they sounded wonderful.  Plenty of bass for bookshelf speakers, detail, and very balanced, but still something was "missing".  I replaced the CA with my current Yamaha A-S1000 and things were on there way but still that something I could not pinpoint just was not there.

Then I new what needed to happen.  Even with much hesitation since it had been in my main rig ever since I bought it back in 2008, I moved my beloved RSW-10d to living room duty.  That was it. :o   Not only did the sub fill in the bottom register, the soundstage grew deep and wide and if I did not no better, I would have thought I just moved my RF-63's into the living room.  No bloated boomy bass but just a very seamless transition.  The RB-75's fade off right were the RSW-10d is in it's sweet spot(45 to 50Hz) and no break in the action can be detected.

The room is large with the connecting dining room and front door foyer but this system has no problem integrating into the space.

Now I know I am not talking floorstanders here but if the 63's had been moved into this room instead, the RSW-10d would most likely join them.

Bill

Edited by willland

Once your setup is high end enough, subwoofer/Audyssey becomes detrimental.

What is your source?

This particular listen was laptop/itunes--airplay--marantz av7702--outlaw amp

I have tron legacy on CD today and will be playing it. It is supposed to be good and bass heavy. I will try both modes.

I think I figured out part of the issue. In the new models they do not have PLII Music anymore, which is what I would have used, it is Dolby Surround and many owners of the new preamp/amps are not happy with the SQ. The option is to buy the $200 Auro 3D upgrade and use Auro 2D for music

:wacko:

I only own one subwoofer: A cheap 10" Polk I bought second-hand. It does well to fill in where my Definitive Tech. monitors bottom out, but I'd never use it with my F-20s. They hit lower and cleaner than the sub does! I'm not against the idea of eventually going sub shopping for the towers, but it's certainly not necessary. Leave it to Klipsch to make floorstanders that are better subs than an actual sub!

I think I figured out part of the issue. In the new models they do not have PLII Music anymore, which is what I would have used, it is Dolby Surround and many owners of the new preamp/amps are not happy with the SQ. The option is to buy the $200 Auro 3D upgrade and use Auro 2D for music

:wacko:

Wait until you ditch the receiver for some separates or a good quality two channel intetgrated. Things will really start to get interesting then.........

Shakey

• Like 1