why so little Marantz love?

I don't get the fact that you cannot adjust the volume of the individual channels on the fly. The engineers at Marantz missed the boat on that one IMHO.

It's somewhat of a pain to do so, being buried in a few menu levels deep, but I can change the levels on the SR-7009 on the fly. Not sure why you'd need to do that though. Or maybe "on the fly" means different things to different people.

Maybe they changed their design philosophy? When I try to adjust volume it plays test tones, WTF goood is that? I'm watching a football game and I want to turn down the crowd noise in the rear/surround, IMO I should able to do that without playing test tones! That is what I mean by 'on the fly'.

AS far as SS gear Marantz and HK have been my favorites.  Once had separates....a 3300 preamp and 250 mono amps with beautiful gold faceplates and really nice wood cases.  Had to get rid of them though.  The 250's would blow up at the drop of a needle :(

I have never got close to trying Marantz.  I have tried a couple of Denon avr's that sounded pretty nice.  Right now I am a Pioneer fan and since I already know MCACC pretty well, I will stick with them.  OK, I am lazy and don't want to mess with Auddysee.

Maybe they changed their design philosophy? When I try to adjust volume it plays test tones, WTF goood is that? I'm watching a football game and I want to turn down the crowd noise in the rear/surround, IMO I should able to do that without playing test tones! That is what I mean by 'on the fly'.

No the test tones are still there but you can go into the Audessey setup and change the levels that way.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Yeah, its several remote clicks. With on screen menus though you can do it quick enough.

Another thing I like about with the AV7702, is heat. It just gets warm, where every AVR I have used as a preamp has still gotten quite warm. I have heard people say the heat mostly comes from the video chips, but if that was true the AV7702 would still be pretty warm, when it is not. Personally, I would expect a preamp to run cooler than an AVR, using the amps or not.

The first Marantz unit I heard that sounded bad was a solid state 80 wpc power amp I borrowed for a home trial, in about 1974.  It was harsh.  It was followed by some lackluster receivers in the later '70s.  I got one because I had to sell my Dynaco tube amps.  At least Marantz was honest and rated the receiver at 0.15% THD, instead of the 0.00something most other manufacturers were claiming.  But I don't think it was THD I was hearing; I think it was more like IM.  When I went over to Luxman SS, it was like a transition between cacophonous night to warm and beautiful daylight.  Marantz is fine now, at least the ones I've heard.  I'm very happy with my Marantz A7005 pre-pro ... and did I say in an earlier post that it is much quieter than my former NAD pre/pro?  

Edited by garyrc

Yeah, its several remote clicks. With on screen menus though you can do it quick enough.

Another thing I like about with the AV7702, is heat. It just gets warm, where every AVR I have used as a preamp has still gotten quite warm. I have heard people say the heat mostly comes from the video chips, but if that was true the AV7702 would still be pretty warm, when it is not. Personally, I would expect a preamp to run cooler than an AVR, using the amps or not.

I also have the AV7702. Just as Gadgy states, it gets warm, but not hot. I also have Onkyo 717 and 636, they tend to get a bit hotter. But these onkyo avrs don't come close to the processing of the 7702, imo.

We are out here. I've liked the brand for decades and think their current lineup performs very well in general and exceptionally well with the new Klipsch. Currently using an SR5008 AVR (an incredible value that punches well above its price point), and a CD6005 CD player that is very detailed.

Would recommend them to anyone. Their next tier up is even better.