Swapping Square k77 for round ones in Corns.

Ok, I my Cornwalls have square magnet K77s.  My center (Heresy) has a around K77, I have 2 other Heresies with round magnets.  My thought was to remove the round ones in the Heresies (with type e crossovers and replace them with the square ones from the Cornwalls which have type b crossover.  Then install the round magnets in the Cornwalls.  Reason I want to do this, is it drives me nutts(ocd) that I have 2 different tweeters in my L/C/R.

If it bothers you, do it or it will always be in the back of your mind. I would not think it would have any affect, but what I think doesn't matter. It is all about achieving your perceived happy place with your system. I have a personal opinion that Belle's don't need a sub. After reading too much and listening too little, I brought up a sub from my basement (for the second time) and hooked it up an adjusted it many ways and came to the same conclusion. I had to carry it back down, those buggers are heavy and I am too old to keep doing this everytime I read someone else's opinion. At no cost but except time, Switch em around!

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 1

Belles could use a sub along with every other speaker. what sub are you hauling up and down the steps. maybe you need a better sub that blends well with heritage speakers

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

you should be done by now you posted this 2 hours ago. how do they sound now :D

I figured it wouldn't be problem, I am waiting to receive an crossover update kit from Bob. Once I receive that I will be swapping.  Speaking of crossovers, do see any reason why this 78 Heresy would have different crossover than my other 2 Heresies from 78' as far as E style goes.  I could open it and check, but then again I am lazy.

Belles could use a sub along with every other speaker. what sub are you hauling up and down the steps. maybe you need a better sub that blends well with heritage speakers

I was afraid of that answer. The first sub I brought up was a 10" Dayton Titanic with a 250 watt Dayton plate amp (ported) The second time around, I brought up one of my two 12" Dayton RS series subs along with an outboard Dayton SA1000 amp. I use two separate boxes each with a 12" with this amp for my HT in my basement. This amp let me limit the signal to the Belles @ 80 hz and then also adjust the crossover to the sub along with the gain. Some music did seem better but most seemed exaggerated in the low end. I am sure my room plays into this as well. Don't get me thinking again. I am happy with the sound I get from these wonderful speakers. I have been looking into building a horn sub (I love woodworking and have a cnc router at work that makes things much easier and no sawdust in my garage!!) Space in my living room would be an issue.

Ok, I my Cornwalls have square magnet K77s.  My center (Heresy) has a around K77, I have 2 other Heresies with round magnets.  My thought was to remove the round ones in the Heresies (with type e crossovers and replace them with the square ones from the Cornwalls which have type b crossover.  Then install the round magnets in the Cornwalls.  Reason I want to do this, is it drives me nutts(ocd) that I have 2 different tweeters in my L/C/R.

zero sound difference at nominal sound -  plus the Square magnets should sound better - you are downgrading - Alnico K77 round magnets demagnertise with time - ferrite square unirts dont - square units hit 16khz - round 12-13 max -

• Like 2

zero sound difference at nominal sound -  plus the Square magnets should sound better - you are downgrading - Alnico K77 round magnets demagnertise with time - ferrite square unirts dont - square units hit 16khz - round 12-13 max -

That's what I heard, too.

Note: My Khorns and Belle have square magnets, but I have some old round ones in the bedroom.  They, too, "hit" 16 K, but not as loudly, I guess -- I've never done an AB comparison with REW.

That's what I heard, too.

Note: My Khorns and Belle have square magnets, but I have some old round ones in the bedroom.  They, too, "hit" 16 K, but not as loudly, I guess -- I've never done an AB comparison with REW.

That depends if the round magnet K77 tweeter would have the copper beryllium leads - if they do they can hit 16k - otherwise they simply blow - while the square K77 with standard leads can hit 16k and not blow -

post-60988-0-41500000-1430959607_thumb.jI am in the process of rebuilding the cabinets for my 84 Heresy's. They have the round magnet K77s. I have a good pair of square magnet K77s that I took out of my 88 Belle's when I went with the Crites tweeter (w/ 4500hz crossover). Which would you put back into the Heresy's when the cabinets are complete?

Duder, I switched to the Crites CT150 tweeter to be able to handle the lower crossover in my Belle's. That's how I ended up with a good pair of K77s (square) left over. My AB crossover had to go!

Thad, if on the very odd chance I understand what the heck a doppleganger telepathy is, I do have pairs for each option, but my guess is that is not what you imply. Or is this a case of pick on the newbie?

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 1

Bump

I am still looking for an answer from Thad on his Doppelganger telepathy comment. If it is just and attempt to confuse me, the jokes on you, I was already confused.

Don't leave me hanging! I expect better treatment from a moderator of the new friendlier, kinder, Klipsch Forum.

• Like 2