I think my S4's are dying...

bigtex

I purchased a pair of S4 in ears probably about 6 years ago.  They have taken everything I have thrown at them.  I used them working in the yard with sweat pouring on them, in a freezing cold deer blind and everything in between.  I have several pairs of IEM's (I am kind of a headphone junky) and although some others might have an overall better sound, the S4's have a "fun" sound and they are a pleasure to use. Perfect for listening to rock.  I have a pair of the more highly regarded X10 that I don't like nearly as well as the S4 - and I assure you that they are not counterfeit units.  The sound seems distant and almost lifeless in comparison.  Anyway, The right ear started to crackle and have drop outs yesterday.  I switched to the X10 and did not have the problem so I have to assume that the S4's are on their way out.  That ruined my day.  I wonder if Klipsch maintains older models in their B stock, or if there might be some hanging around that a loyal listener might get ahold of at a decent price.  Does anyone have that info?  Is there any way to repair IEM's or are they doomed for the trash can since they are sealed?

For what its worth, I also have Shure SE215 and Shure SE535, as well as the X10.  I don't listen to any of the low quality crap on iTunes.  Most of my music is either ripped or downloaded as lossless.  To me, the S4 outperforms the X10 and slightly outperforms the SE215, although the 215 is a bit smoother in the mids but lacking the low end of the S4.  The only way the X10's sound good is with a good amp, and then they can sound very good.  But with just an iPod they don't do it for me.  I bought them on a closeout when Klipsch was discontinuing the ones w/o the in line control so I got a good deal on them.  The SE535 is nirvana.  Sweet and smooth and refined and just an incredible pleasure to listen to, which they should be for that price point.  I would like to listen to the newer Klipsch models to see how they compare or hear what others have to say about them.  They claim that their $100 pair sounds as good as anything out there so I would like to be the judge and compare them to my other IEM's.  BTW - I use Comply tips on all of my IEM's.  I find that they seal and isolate far better than anything else I have tried and they are far more comfortable.  I use the P series because they are longer and seal even better.  The nozzle on the Klipsch is slightly larger than the Shure so I have to take a piece of sand paper and file them down just a bit for the same tips to fit. Well worth the effort, though.  

Why don't you order the R6 and see how you feel about it? We have a 30-day no questions asked return policy.

The frequency response is virtually identical to S4, a little bit more low end and a little bit more high-end (less the sibilance peak typically around 7-8k that was present on S4). It uses the same nozzle as S4 so the same tips will fit. I too am a fan of Comply. Awesome tips for the gym.

Bigtex - also take a look at doing this with your S4: look down both nozzles and make sure they're not plugged. If a little bit of earwax plugs the nozzle it may seem like cutting out. You can use a needle to pull up the little black screen protecting it. Then clean the area and put the screen back in.