My RF-82II Tweeter gone faulty after 2 years...

Helix82

I was just wondering why the tweeter on one of the RF82II has just gone faulty after 2 years ? :(

heard a crackle & pop then dead...

Just to make sure checked the AV Receiver and the speaker cable was not the cause swapped the connections around on AV Receiver still no sound from Left speaker/Tweeter...

I have made my first warranty claim today, how long does the claim/repair process take for Klipsch owners from UK?

Do all UK owners of Klipsch products go through the same “process” of being thrown back and forth (messed about) from dealer/seller to klipch and so forth?

I first contacted the dealer/seller Here regarding the faulty tweeter on one of the RF82II’s

who told me to get in touch with klipsch ?

so I got intouch with Klipsch...they responed & told me to go back to dealer/seller Here where the RF-82II’s were purchased!

Now I have e-mailed back to the above dealer/seller waiting for their response?

The amazing thing is that it’s taken me almost a week to get to this stage…

when one of my colleges, a TV Engineer B) suggested that I order the tweeter for around (£50 including postage) from USA... which is quite attempting without the "back and forth" irritating inconvenience but I said NO the RF's are under warranty, I would rather claim because I have a receipt ! :D

I hope it goes well… :huh:

Helix82,

Welcome to the forum.

I am sorry your tweeter took a dump after two years and you are kind of getting the run around from the dealer.

Maybe forum administrator Chad or another Klipsch employee will chime in and be able to help things along a bit.

Good luck,

Bill

Thanks Bill you have a great setup at your home… I am quite jealous ;)

You are right Bill; I am kind of getting the run around from the dealer... the worst part is that I am also from a similar trade (satellite/television sales & repairs) you won’t believe what we do for our customers...man do we go out of our ways to satisfy all of them :D … but I find it quite strange :huh: when our own personal things go faulty there is no one to HELP! and we are left in the dark :ph34r: …we sometimes wonder if we are doing something wrong? :(

Thanks Bill you have a great setup at your home… I am quite jealous

Hey, thanks for the kind words.  It's been a fun journey and to think I started with Quintet III's back in 2007.  The Klipsch bug bit and I was infected.

Your dealer should take care of you.  A little bad publicity could motivate them to act.  I am sure they do not want to get in Klipsch bad grace.

Hang in there.

Bill

Your dealer should take care of you.  A little bad publicity could motivate them to act.  I am sure they do not want to get in Klipsch bad grace.

Hang in there.

Bill

Bill, I'm trying my best to Hang in there... :rolleyes:

Here is the dealers 3rd response:

Quote:

"Hi *****,

I'm afraid as Klipsch have changed their european distribution model we no longer have access to spare parts and Klipsch are looking after warranty directly, I'd suggest contacting them again regarding this as it is the manufacturer warranty you would be claiming on at this point in time

Regards

Soundzdirect Ltd"

[End of Quote]

Bill to be quite honest i'm getting a bit fed up of this ****** nonsense...i have quite alot on my mind with the family and at work, do I just order the damn tweeter and get our Engineers B)  to fit/replace it or do I " hang in there " :huh: ?

I'm afraid as Klipsch have changed their european distribution model we no longer have access to spare parts and Klipsch are looking after warranty directly, I'd suggest contacting them again regarding this as it is the manufacturer warranty you would be claiming on at this point in time Regards Soundzdirect Ltd"

What???  Again, Customer NO-Service? 

Is there some reason Soundzdirect Ltd. is too lazy to AT LEAST provide you with a contact number or email???

do I just order the damn tweeter and get our Engineers to fit/replace it

I would forward that reply to Klipsch Parts(or whatever dept it is) and get them on the phone also and see if it can be resolved.  I would guess the part is no more than about US$45.00.

Bill

do I just order the damn tweeter and get our Engineers to fit/replace it

I would forward that reply to Klipsch Parts(or whatever dept it is) and get them on the phone also and see if it can be resolved.  I would guess the part is no more than about US$45.00.

Bill

Good news Bill, Klipsch support has placed an order for my replacement tweeter should be expecting it within 7-14 days… :)

I hope klipsch sort out their UK/European side of the business/customer support?

Do not wish to go through that "wonderful experience" again... I hope my RF82II live for another 3 years and maybe even more, if I play some decent music… :wub:

If it were not for the Klipsch Forum I would have just given up! :angry:

Thanks for the advice guy’s you were a great help! :emotion-21:

I'm afraid as Klipsch have changed their european distribution model we no longer have access to spare parts and Klipsch are looking after warranty directly, I'd suggest contacting them again regarding this as it is the manufacturer warranty you would be claiming on at this point in time Regards Soundzdirect Ltd"

What???  Again, Customer NO-Service? 

Is there some reason Soundzdirect Ltd. is too lazy to AT LEAST provide you with a contact number or email???

I don’t wish to offend anybody or the dealer Soundzdirect Ltd  from Dublin 12, Ireland :emotion-22:

May be it’s to do with something: Here :)

It's not the clipping per se that damages the speaker, but the clipping frequently causes amplifier stability issues in the feedback loop that can cause damage (excessive cone motion from infrasonics). Tweeters burn up from excessive long term average power, not clipping.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

"If your getting distortion or clipping, yes that is very bad for your speakers."

An urban myth.

Two things ruin speakers, too much long-term average power, and mechanical damage from over-excursion.

Unless the distortion or clipping cause either of the above two, your speakers will not be harmed.

Anyone that wants to argue will have their head handed to them when I am done with them, search for my

previous explanations as to why this is a myth.

**************************************************************************************************************************

Amplifier clipping causes no damage what so ever, unless you exceed the long term average power limit of the driver, or it causes mechanical damage.

Clipping below 40mS in duration is generally inaudible to the average person.

The APT Model 1 had an indicator labled 'distortion alert', it would flash if the duration of the clipping was in excess of 40mS. A Peavey with DDT (distortion detecting) will go into limiting when the duration of the clipping exceeds 100mS. The Dynaco Dynaguard had a delay that was dependent on the overdrive applied, but would allow clipping for tens of mS before pulling back the average power leve (user programable).

" A store I frequented once lost a pair of Klipschorns, punching along at about 120 dB -- for a few moments -- with Michael Jackson's Thriller. Man, was the salesperson embarrassed!"

Really? What year was this? I used to demo Klipschorns with a Carver M1.5T (750W/8Ω on program material) until the 'headroom exhaused light came on (14dB past the point where it would have clipped had it not had a clipping limiter built in). On program material with High HF content this would cause the HF fuse to blow. Prior to the AK series networks there were no fuses, but the zener diode protectors did the job. Be careful with a sub-harmonic synthesizer however, big amps will wound the woofer with high power below 35hz.