Does Mike Huckabee............!

tube fanatic

• Moderators

Huckabee may have met him. His aunt lived in Hope until her death. PWK was conservative politically AFAIK. He helped the local churches, also. In the 70's, all the churches has Klipsch speakers!

Really? I would be interested to know what you base that on. The only two things I have ever been able to find about him politically is he was friends with and supported Winthrop Rockefeller in both '64 and '66 and he gave $200 to Huckabee in '92 for the U.S. Senate race.

Winthrop, from all accounts, was described as a "moderate to liberal progressive." Mr. Klipsch made no further political contributions to Huckabee, or anyone else.

I am sure those that actually knew him might be able to shed some light on that, but I just haven't seen anything written about him in political terms which has led me to assume, probably mistakenly, that politics was of little to no importance to him.

Travis

• Like 1

I remember seeing a playlist from George W's Ipod chock full of the usual Texas musician suspects, along with Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell.  His daughter chose a Taj Mahal song for her wedding, leads me to believe there is better than average equipment in the house.

Edited by Stephen Schaffer

PWK was conservative politically AFAIK. He helped the local churches, also. In the 70's, all the churches has Klipsch speakers!

Rev. Huck was preacher at Beech Street Baptist Church in Texarkana.  Betcha money PWK was never in there...

Dave

I'm glad this thread isn't political.  Some of us are so delicate that we need protection from any political content.  At least, so I hear. 

I'll remind people that there were Klipsch advertisements right after Bill Clinton's election that played on the word "Hope," and were adorned with Red White and Blue.  PWK was in charge then.  Meaning unknown. 

I've heard one rumor that he was a little toward one side, and one rumor that he was a little toward the other.  I won't repeat them here.

Let's not forget, there used to be a MIDDLE.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

Winthrop, from all accounts, was described as a "moderate to liberal progressive." Mr. Klipsch made no further political contributions to Huckabee, or anyone else.

Travis

Now Winthrop Rockefeller likely had more Klipsch than any politician in Arkansas history. They have a farm where they would have bands entertain and the entire sound system was Klipsch. Heard he had Klipsch at all his houses. Perhaps the ex Klipsch employees know what he had out at Petit Jean.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Travis

Now Winthrop Rockefeller likely had more Klipsch than any politician in Arkansas history. They have a farm where they would have bands entertain and the entire sound system was Klipsch. Heard he had Klipsch at all his houses. Perhaps the ex Klipsch employees know what he had out at Petit Jean.

Now that is cool!

PWK was much more conservative than most everyone in the office at the time I speak of. I could go on about specifics, but that might just involve names and dates. As too the locals in Hope, they would have considered him a liberal and also a radical for bringing in all those hippies to work for him. All things are relative.

I went to several functions at Win's house on Petite Jean during my teens. First time I heard La Scala was on his campaign trail.

Well, I was impressed at all the buildings and wealth...but blown away when I found out he had his own fire station and truck.

Dave

I know very little about the guy, but he and Bill Clinton did live in the Hope region.

I wonder if either of them had summer time jobs at the Klipsch factory?

I sincerely doubt Clinton ever got his hands dirty doing ANYTHING...and I am pretty sure he never got covered in pin router sawdust!  Not so sure about that with Huckabee, though!  Clinton's family moved to Hot Springs from Hope prior to him starting school...IOW, he was born there but was not really "raised" there.  If either of them ever worked at Klipsch, it would most likely be Huckabee (who was actually raised in Hope), but I sincerely doubt it.

Valerie Klipsch taught Bill in Hot Springs??

If so, it would be before she and PWK married.  Somebody with a copy of the book could look it up, but I believe it was around 1970.  I know my vicar in Magnolia was Rector at Hope, and was a young man.  He performed the ceremony.  He was on the Forum for a long time, but left early in the 2000s.  The Drs R, I think or something like that. 

Dave

PWK was much more conservative than most everyone in the office at the time I speak of. I could go on about specifics, but that might just involve names and dates. As too the locals in Hope, they would have considered him a liberal and also a radical for bringing in all those hippies to work for him. All things are relative.

I agree.

I think we are talking about 1963/1964, right?  I get the impression that he was certainly more conservative (in most ways) that JFK, LBJ, RFK, etc., but not more conservative than Barry Goldwater or Bill Buckley.   A lot depends on the definitions of conservative and liberal we are talking about.  One can certainly harbor threads of each.  He brought in "all those hippies," and (at least later) some African Americans, which probably also caused a stir among the locals in Hope, described by Rolling Stone (in the early '70s) as "a tank town of the first water."  I doubt if anyone with the vocabulary of PWK, the special yellow button, and a penchant for leaving church by walking over the backs of the pews would be all that welcome at gatherings of cultural conservatives in 1964.  When he was passing through the Bay Area, he used to like to drop in at Berkeley Custom Electronics when John Curl worked there.  He couldn't help but notice the "Ban the Whirly Pigs" sign in the window, yet he seemed to have a good time.

Valerie Klipsch taught Bill in Hot Springs??

If so, it would be before she and PWK married.  Somebody with a copy of the book could look it up, but I believe it was around 1970.  I know my vicar in Magnolia was Rector at Hope, and was a young man.  He performed the ceremony.  He was on the Forum for a long time, but left early in the 2000s.  The Drs R, I think or something like that. 

Dave

I remember him, I think.  He was Episcopal, right?  PWK left the church he used to attend when he found out they believed in predestination and went to the Episcopal, "because they had the best organ."

Edited by garyrc

PWK left the church he used to attend when he found out they believed in predestination and went to the Episcopal, "because they had the best organ."

Yep.  Pretty good summation of his reasoning.  He donated the organ at the Hope parish.

Dave