RSW-15 vs P312W

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

Before I bought Steve's (Scrappydue) Palladium sub I looked hi and low for reviews on its performance. Outside of a couple articles for the complete Palladium set with just overviews of the sub I couldn't find anything. 

I have both the RSW-15 and the P312W. I know they are different 12" v 15"...but they are both top of the line consumer offerings from Klipsch. Since a lot of us already have a formed opinion on the former and not too many on the later I thought I would write up some observations between them and post them here.  But I don't want to waste my time if no one would be interested in hearing how they stack up side by side. 

Or maybe I'll just do it for craps and giggles and you don't have to read it if you don't want to...

EDIT: I see now I probably should have posted this in the subs forum...but I had 2.1 channel comparison on my mind when I posted. My apologies for any confusion.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 4

Guest Steven1963

The best I can do is offer you a few hours of in-home demonstrations. You make the drive, I'll set them up. :D

Maybe you can chase a tornado in this direction and kill two birds with one stone!  Yeah I know, wrong direction.

Edited by Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

Honestly, I can't say yet. I've got the RSW-15 upstairs with the HT and the Palladium doing 2 channel duty downstairs...my main amp is in the shop and the tube amp I am using is noisy with the Klipschorns.  It's making it tough just to listen to music.  My main amp isn't back for maybe another 3 weeks. I haven't even done a direct side by side yet.

I've written up some initial thoughts between the two but mostly about aesthetics and mechanicals. I'll keep those secret for now.

I haven't even heard the palladium but I'm assuming a comparison would go something like...

Palladium: tight, clean, uncolored with no resonances up high, fairly flat, lots of overhead for dynamics, lots of output in-room at 30 hz.

Reference: more output below 30 hz. :)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Guest Steven1963

I haven't even heard the palladium but I'm assuming a comparison would go something like...

Palladium: tight, clean, uncolored with no resonances up high, fairly flat, lots of overhead for dynamics, lots of output in-room at 30 hz.

Reference: more output below 30 hz. :)

I know, right?  I might just use your line and save myself a few hours. :D

• Like 1

Yes, please let us know what you think about the subs!! I've always loved the RSW-15 for music, can't really imagine anything being leaps and bounds ahead of it in that department. The Ultra 2's I have just wreck it though for low end growl and total output but they just aren't quite as "clean" or articulate as the RSW.

Edited by jjptkd

Guest Steven1963

Give me two weeks.

TWO WEEKS!!

Oh man…..that's just mean :D

As someone looking at upgrading subs, I am interested in your opinion also. I'm wondering if the P312 is worth the cost.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I was looking for information on its performance. And that's why I asked in forums if anyone was interested in the comparison. Maybe not two weeks.  :ph34r:  I'm done reviewing the P312W...but now I have to drag the RSW-15 downstairs so it can have its turn and I'm lazy that way (hey, it's heavy!) :P. After its solo audition, Then, an A to B comparison side by side.

Two weeks at the most...but maybe this coming weekend?!

Edited by Steven1963

• 1 month later...

I had a P312W on demo for a week. I could buy it at a very fair price but didn't do it.  To my ears it sounded too boomy, very little musical information, rather synthetic.  The first thing that jumped to my mind upon first listening was: Bose.  I can't help it, but to me it sounded very Bose-like.  And I really don't like that typical kind of Bose bass.

So I am very curious to hear how the RSW 15 compares to the P312W.