RSW-15 vs P312W

Guest Steven1963

I had a P312W on demo for a week. I could buy it at a very fair price but didn't do it.  To my ears it sounded too boomy, very little musical information, rather synthetic.  The first thing that jumped to my mind upon first listening was: Bose.  I can't help it, but to me it sounded very Bose-like.  And I really don't like that typical kind of Bose bass.

So I am very curious to hear how the RSW 15 compares to the P312W.  

wow bose??? really?? lol either you didn't have it set up right at all, or you just don't have a very good ear. sorry but that is the truth right there. comparing a 4000$ flagship sub to anything bose on THIS forum is about as insane as it gets in my opinion.  :blink:

• Like 1

I've had a RSW 15 for several years.

1) It does a spectacular job with Blu-ray movies, shakes the room, etc.

2) It is distinctly muddier than the Klipschorns and Belle I use it with.  It goes lower than they do, with less attenuation, but just isn't as tight and clean sounding.  I've tried crossovers at 80, 60 and 40.  I've tried setting the Khorns at both "Small" and "Large."  I've tried Audyssey Reference and Audyssey Flat, v.s. No Audyssey. 

3) The RSW 15 is good enough to keep for several more years, which I intend to do, but eventually I may get a horn loaded subwoofer.

Guest Steven1963

I had a P312W on demo for a week. I could buy it at a very fair price but didn't do it.  To my ears it sounded too boomy, very little musical information, rather synthetic.  The first thing that jumped to my mind upon first listening was: Bose.  I can't help it, but to me it sounded very Bose-like.  And I really don't like that typical kind of Bose bass.

The review has been up for a couple weeks at least. I did not come to the same conclusions as you. I found the Palladium very capable and sophisticated...very smooth and not boomy at all.  It isn't an RSW-15 killer, but that isn't why Klipsch made it - they made it to compliment the Palladium series speakers and although I do not have those, I can envision how it would do its job admirably. 

Everybody's ear is different though. 

I had a P312W on demo for a week. I could buy it at a very fair price but didn't do it. To my ears it sounded too boomy, very little musical information, rather synthetic. The first thing that jumped to my mind upon first listening was: Bose. I can't help it, but to me it sounded very Bose-like. And I really don't like that typical kind of Bose bass.

The review has been up for a couple weeks at least. I did not come to the same conclusions as you. I found the Palladium very capable and sophisticated...very smooth and not boomy at all. It isn't an RSW-15 killer, but that isn't why Klipsch made it - they made it to compliment the Palladium series speakers and although I do not have those, I can envision how it would do its job admirably.

did you keep it or did you find a buyer.

The review has been up for a couple weeks at least. I did not come to the same conclusions as you. I found the Palladium very capable and sophisticated...very smooth and not boomy at all.  It isn't an RSW-15 killer, but that isn't why Klipsch made it - they made it to compliment the Palladium series speakers and although I do not have those, I can envision how it would do its job admirably. 

Steven 1963,

Where did your review go?  I read it once, found it detailed and interesting, but now it is nowhere to be found.   I checked both 2 channel and subwoofers and can no longer find it. 

There doesn't seem to be anything left between 16 May and 16 June.  A glitch?  On what date did you post the review?

Edited by garyrc

Guest Steven1963

I had a P312W on demo for a week. I could buy it at a very fair price but didn't do it. To my ears it sounded too boomy, very little musical information, rather synthetic. The first thing that jumped to my mind upon first listening was: Bose. I can't help it, but to me it sounded very Bose-like. And I really don't like that typical kind of Bose bass.

The review has been up for a couple weeks at least. I did not come to the same conclusions as you. I found the Palladium very capable and sophisticated...very smooth and not boomy at all. It isn't an RSW-15 killer, but that isn't why Klipsch made it - they made it to compliment the Palladium series speakers and although I do not have those, I can envision how it would do its job admirably.

did you keep it or did you find a buyer.

I have it. It's still on CL but not a single bite. Which is fine, it looks and sounds good right where it is.

I owned a P-312W and can confirm that something was either wrong with the setup or subwoofer. Regarding music It is on par with the Martin Logan Descent I that I own and hit a bit harder for movies. If you were referencing a KSW-10 that would make a bit more sense.