I saw a black bear today

peshewah

I was going to work, doing a job at Ft. Leonard Wood and I saw what I thought was a big black dog. It came down a large steep hill, about to cross the road when I seen him. He stopped so I pulled over to try to get a picture with my phone. By the time I got out of my car he started to run back up the hill. He was big, had a tag on his ear. My picture was just a black spot. Never seen one in the wild. Pretty cool

• Like 6

Very cool, the first time I saw a black bear was in Virginia hiking. It was a mother and 2 cubs, the mother was very small, about the size of a medium size  golden retriever. I walked out of me house last summer at night and 3 black bears were 10 feet away from me, they took off ran about 30 feet and slowly walked away. Recently a male bear has been knocking my garbage cans over making a huge mess. One night I heard the can get knocked over, so I ran outside yelled at it. it ran away but I knew it would back so I waited on a second story deck. When it returned, it was amazing how stealthy they can be. I was only 25 feet away and could barely hear it rustling dried leaves, as it walked down a hill. When it got to the stone part of my driveway its feet made almost no noise. I could just make out a few rocks being crunched. I pulled out a roman candle and lit him up, for a 300lb animal, he was very fast..

• Like 2

This past Wednesday in Yellowstone National Park a black bear and her three cubs were caught on a bridge with a group of tourists and it shows the people scattering in all directions, almost like the bears where chasing them off the bridge.

https://youtu.be/5OrnHISGqi0

Edit: I seem to have lost the functionality to allow watching of the video within the thread.

black bear cubs.jpg

post-36163-0-83300000-1431174733_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 2

Here's a mama who was standing in front of me, while here cub was behind me climbing fallen trees.....  The little fella kept me entertained for a good while, and all was well until mama showed up. She got a bit too close for comfort. Pic's are from CO trip.

Got some good ones of a big black boar while hunting in New Mexico's Jicarilla last year, but those are on my laptop. He walked right under me, never knew I was there.

post-10277-0-33600000-1431276117_thumb.j

post-10277-0-05960000-1431276163_thumb.j

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 2

I've seen several at Cades Cove.  This was in October:

I have been to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park many many times over the last 35+ years and have yet to see a black bear in the wild.  Even here in Central Florida(Ocala National Forest) where bears are spotted very often, I have not seen one.

Bill

• Like 1

During certain seasons it is almost impossible to tell a brown bear from a grizzly. The only sure method is to sneak up on them, kick 'em in the a** and run up a tree. If the bear climbs up the tree and kills you, it was a brown bear. If he knocks the tree over and kills you, it was a grizzly.

• Like 3

This past Wednesday in Yellowstone National Park a black bear and her three cubs were caught on a bridge with a group of tourists and it shows the people scattering in all directions, almost like the bears where chasing them off the bridge.

https://youtu.be/5OrnHISGqi0

Edit: I seem to have lost the functionality to allow watching of the video within the thread.

black bear cubs.jpg

they are very hungry and they know humans have food - so they get close hoping for a meal

• Like 1

Iv met/run into a few Bears in my Mining adventures over the years, just about the time we both see each other, they Bolt the other direction, good for the Bear(s) better for me.

Amazing, i posted this four days ago and i think you are the first one to click on the pic and read it. well done .

• Like 1

A bear there was, a bear, a bear!
All black and brown, and covered with hair!
Oh, come, they said, oh come to the fair!
The fair? Said he, but I'm a bear!
All black, and brown, and covered with hair!

And down the road from here to there.
From here! To there!
Three boys, a goat, and a dancing bear!
They danced and spun, all the way to the fair!

Oh, sweet she was, and pure, and fair!
The maid with honey,
In her hair! Her hair!
The maid with honey in her hair!

He smelled the scent on the summer air!
The bear! The bear!
All black and brown and covered with hair!
He smelled the scent on the summer air!
He sniffed and roared and smelled it there!
Honey on the summer air!

Oh, I'm a maid, and I'm pure and fair!
I'll never dance with a hairy bear!
A bear! A bear!
I'll never dance with a hairy bear!
He lifted her high into the air!
The bear! The bear!

I called for a knight, but you're a bear!
A bear! A bear!
All black and brown and covered with hair!
She kicked and wailed, the maid so fair,
But he licked the honey from her hair!
Her hair! Her hair!

Then she sighed and squealed and kicked the air!
My bear! She sang. My bear so fair!
And off they went, from here to there,
The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair.