So uh...got a stiff...

...not like that.

I purchased a pair of KP-101s last week for a console rebuild. They finally arrived today in a beat up box with pillows in it filling the space between the speakers.

On inspection they seemed okay until I did the press test. One woofer is fine...it moves and doesn't have any eyebrow raising features...the other one won't budge an inch. Not to the touch nor to the signal. I tried running audio to them...with good results on the one, but the speaker with the stiff cone was only putting out levels I would expect from a squwaker or tweeter and still not budging and noticeably quieter.

Is this a fudged speaker or did the KP-101 have something wonky in its pair setup? I think an eBay return might be in order.

Looks like there are some good people still on eBay.

Buyer's sending a replacement driver Monday. That'll hopefully fix up the issue. The one that sounded good...REALLY sounded good. I was quite surprised for the size of the speaker. :)

In related news, is that something that just happens with larger drivers, or simply due to lack of quality packaging?

• Like 1

the same happened to me with shipping a k42kp woofer  on ebay - the woofer magnet sustained a knock -the box was evidently very badly packaged with no padding - yep - some people just dont package correctly and dont bubble wrap -

-sad to hear this - hopefully - the cabinets are ok -

The cabs are in acceptable condition. They didn't really differ from the unfinished birch from the listing. I looked at the internal parts as well to make sure nothing seemed a miss. The inside of the one woofer did look obviously damaged, but the other and the horn both looked fine. :)