Midwest Weather

minermark

There really is an idea there. My uncle and I have discussed it.  If the Romans could have an aqueduct system to bring water to where it was needed over 2000 years ago why can't we?  The technology is there.  Like the interstate highway system which we did implement, the water` distribution system should have already been in place.

One of my boys just walked in the door coming in from a float trip on the Buffalo River in Arkansas. They left out yesterday morning. They set up their tents and went for a hike. Came back and the camping area was flooded, and the tents went down the river. They floated today and said it was a good float ( upper Buffalo). They had fun and made it home alive, that's all that counts.

Watching the news again this morning Texas at the top of the news.

If i had an extra life raft, id send it back there, the way Calif weather is going, i might as well send the one i have.

80s, 90s for the next week, dry as hell. 

Edited by minermark

If the Romans could have an aqueduct system to bring water to where it was needed over 2000 years ago why can't we? 

It's not that we can't.  The people who have water want to hang on to it and won't allow access.

Even though my garden's taken a beating, I'm not tired of it yet. Wish we'd get a nice hurricane to come-in between Galveston and Corpus, and dump a bunch of rain in Texas's southern most regions. It would be nice to see all the lakes at or near the 90%+ capacity range.... unfortunately, I think that's going to require a couple of back to back hurricanes.

City Hacks are on the tube this morning, now informing us we could be FINED $25 bucks if we use more than 6K Gals a month.

Interesting, we have wells in this city, all of our water comes from these.

Weather pattern for the gulf seems to be set, storm season coming soon, not good when your saturated already.

When you consider the inequitable distribution of water rights in the great state of California among people living in houses and making livings, vs. farmers growing almonds in what should be desert, then it gets pretty difficult to accept "lying down".  In my city, I know at least one city council representative, and I'm not afraid of communicating with that person when things are happening that are basically, well, unjust.

I feel for you, trust me.  Water rationing is something that has been reality here where I grew up, except that here the farmers don't get first dibbies on the water, and they have to pay pumping costs (especially in west Texas) to get that irrigation water to the surface.  That's equitable and market-driven. 

A whole lot of folks in southern CA watching their little patches of green die because some almond farmer has to water his mega acres of trees continuously--that would make my blood boil a bit, but I guess that way of thinking isn't culturally acceptable out west, i.e., "NOT PC in CA".

There is a lot of land in west Texas that isn't farmed with high-serviced crops nowadays that used to be planted when I was young.  The interesting thing is...that fact rarely hits the news feeds.

Chris

Yes, Texas has had enough rain for a while. I saw some stats…..enough rain to cover the entire state in 8 inches of water. Enough water for every person on the planet to drink 64 ounces a day for 10,000 days!

We had a tornado late yesterday, did quite a bit of damage, nobody hurt thankfully.

As to water reuse: A lot of nut trees are grown in New Mexico with sewer plant effluent as the water source. 

Wastewater effluent will HAVE to be used as a drinking water source in the very, very near future. 

Of course, here in Western and NW Arkansas, we are getting tired of all the water falling from the sky!