Outdoor Speaker Placement

mmayfly

I'm looking for some help in placing my new AW-650 outdoor speakers.  We have 2 listening areas and I'm trying to determine the best location to mount each speaker.  I think i want to put one in the covered porch area and one over the window but I'm not sure this will give me the best imaging(see attached photos and red dot indicators).  I would appreciate some more knowledgeable assistance.

post-61209-0-26440000-1431269249_thumb.j

post-61209-0-73040000-1431269260_thumb.j

• Like 1

If you're trying to achieve stereo imaging, first, you'll have to pick where you want that stereo imaging - like at the table and chairs, for instance.  I'd place the two units equally spaced along the porch covering from the chairs where you'll mostly be sitting, aimed at your listening position(s). 

If you're thinking about stereo imaging under the porch covering, then place the loudspeakers under the covering next to the house, spaced as far apart as you can and equidistant from the centerline of the porch.

Chris

• Like 1

Do you believe my idea on placement will be acceptable?  Is it possible to get good sound coverage in both area's with one pair of speakers?    

Yes, if you're not trying to achieve "imaging". 

Notably, most people just want monaural output coverage.  And it's pretty easy to cover outside spaces with multiple loudspeakers - adding more units where you need them if you find an area that's not covered well.

Chris

• Like 1

Not sure if you will achieve good stereo "imaging" as that is difficult outdoors will little reflective objects and the speakers being above the listening area. Best to try the placement out before permanently attaching. Follow Chris' recommendations if you have an identifiable listening position. If you want a broader stage you may want to move the one on the left out a little further. You wont get great imaging but will still get a "depth" of sound as long as you can hear both speakers even if one dominates. More speakers will take away hot spots and may be better but gets costly. If there is a way to put a second pair actually facing in, you could get some reflection off your house that you don't get with two facing out and the sound heading out and never coming back. Some of the guys that went to Hope can help you configure your system to be heard by neighbors a couple miles away.

I would mount them both speakers where your dot on the right is aiming them to the grill area. They should have no problem filling that space with sound and will probably image nicely under the covered patio. I think you will have a trade off somewhere between the two areas with only one pair of speakers. This placement should minimize any ill effects.

Here are pics for the locations of my AW650's.  

After I installed them, my neighbor came over for a listen.  He sat in the center chair.  The look on his face was priceless.  The first word out of his mouth was "amazing", and he started explaining how the vocals were directly centered and the instruments "appeared" right and left of the vocals.  This was the first time he had experienced stereo imaging.  Next weekend he went to Best Buy and bought a pair of Klipsch outdoor speakers to replace his Bose outdoor speakers.

post-12078-0-05560000-1431285233_thumb.j

post-12078-0-37160000-1431285250_thumb.j

post-12078-0-00280000-1431285266_thumb.j

• Like 3

Welcome Mmayfly, we're glad you are here.

I have my outdoor speakers out in the yard, aimed back at the patio.  This way we can have conversations without speakers above our heads.

I have one on the right side of the yard and the other on the left side of the yard.  Stereo imaging is very good. 

I just wanted to give you a little different perspective. 

Keep us posted,

Dennie

I have these and I have had other outdoor speakers in the past. That being said, I would get them both under that covered roof if possible. They will likely last longer, and it just doesn't matter outside. You just want background music anyway, stereo imaging outside when you are entertaining and don't know which way you will be facing isn't a very good goal in my opinion, especially since the seating location that is pictured is way off in terms of symmetry, so the left will overpower the right due to the shorter distance.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Moderators

I would place them at the top of each pillar (the far ones, where the speakers are covered), as high as possible, facing towards the two areas.

SSH

My choice also.

As to where the red dots are, I think with one out from under the porch area and much further out it's going to throw off the sound. Mounted under as SSH suggested they will surely cover out to the outside area and give sound great to the whole area, and be out the weather more. And if it's raining it would sound good on the upper patio also.

just another opinion....and Welcome, nice area.

Edited by dtel