9.2 Surround with ONKYO n' Klipsch

vcvs2

Hello everybody, I'm planning my 9.2 surround system according this configuration below. What do you think about? This output configuration the ONKYO TX-NR929 and the speakers will work great? It's the best placement and configuration? Thank you, for your help. Vitor

Receiver: ONKYO TX-NR929 9.2-Ch Network A/V Receiver (link)

Front speakers ➁:RP-280F Floorstanding Speaker

Center speaker ➂:RP-450C Center Speaker

Surround speakers ➄:RP-250S Surround Speaker

Subwoofers ➅ (x2): R-115SW Subwoofer

Surround back speakers ➇:RP-250S Surround Speaker

Front high speakers ➉:RP-250S Surround Speaker

post-61212-0-61840000-1431353453_thumb.j

Edited by vcvs2

Vitor,

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like you are on your way to a very nice HT setup in a nice room.

Your placement looks great as well as your choice of speakers and AVR.

Enjoy,

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

Hello everybody, I'm planning my 9.2 surround system according this configuration below. What do you think about? This output configuration the ONKYO TX-NR929 and the speakers will work great? It's the best placement and configuration? Thank you, for your help. Vitor

Receiver: ONKYO TX-NR929 9.2-Ch Network A/V Receiver (link)

Front speakers ➁:RP-280F Floorstanding Speaker

Center speaker ➂:RP-450C Center Speaker

Surround speakers ➄:RP-250S Surround Speaker

Subwoofers ➅ (x2): R-115SW Subwoofer

Surround back speakers ➇:RP-250S Surround Speaker

Front high speakers ➉:RP-250S Surround Speaker

Vitor,

Setting up a home theater is room dependent. Can you provide some pictures of the room and possibly sketches?  Using a boilerplate drawing like you did is a recipe for disappointment. 

Nothing against the Onkyo, but I will never understand AVR's manufacturers that post wpc specs rated for two channels....like that is the purpose of buying one. I used to run a Yamaha and it was rated at 140 wpc. Actual tested specs were more like 48 wpc all channels driven. Not sure how they can get away with that crap.

Outside of my rant, looks like you are going to have a nice set up there. Speaker placement should work out fine. Just try to aim the height and surround speakers towards your listening level.

Nothing against the Onkyo, but I will never understand AVR's manufacturers that post wpc specs rated for two channels....like that is the purpose of buying one. I used to run a Yamaha and it was rated at 140 wpc. Actual tested specs were more like 48 wpc all channels driven. Not sure how they can get away with that crap.

Outside of my rant, looks like you are going to have a nice set up there. Speaker placement should work out fine. Just try to aim the height and surround speakers towards your listening level.

All AVR's are not created equal. A few fall short of specs, but most of the upper models usually perform great and deliver a minimal of 100 watts by 5 channels and some a little more.  The Onk 828 is no slouch and Im betting the 929 is right there with it or a tad above.  There are bench tests out there that measure multi channel output and some say bah humbug for a limited test tone frequency being used for the output, but its gets you in the ballpark. 

Here is an example

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr828-av-receiver-test-bench

All AVR's are not created equal. A few fall short of specs, but most of the upper models usually perform great and deliver a minimal of 100 watts by 5 channels and some a little more.  The Onk 828 is no slouch and Im betting the 929 is right there with it or a tad above.  There are bench tests out there that measure multi channel output and some say bah humbug for a limited test tone frequency being used for the output, but its gets you in the ballpark. 

Here is an example

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-tx-nr828-av-receiver-test-bench

Not too bad I guess, certainly nowhere near the acclaimed 160 wpc though. My FIL has the Onkyo 828 and I can drown it out with my Sherbourn SR-120 about one third of the way up the volume dial. I guess if you don't listen anywhere near reference levels you should be fine, which in his case works. Not really a fair fight I guess since the Sherbourn originally sold for three grand. It sure was nice to get it at close out of $459 though. I have not heard any other AVR measure up yet.

Nothing against the Onkyo, but I will never understand AVR's manufacturers that post wpc specs rated for two channels....like that is the purpose of buying one.

I do agree that the published specs should be a little more "honest" and should be quoted with all channels driven across the full frequency band(20Hz to 20kHz), however, real world HT demoing is not usually with all channels simultaneously requiring the same amount of power.

Not too bad I guess, certainly nowhere near the acclaimed 160 wpc though.

The spec'd 160W/channel is @6ohms and at 1kHz and not full band?  The 929 is spec'd at 135w/ch@8ohms(20Hz to 20kHz) with 2 channels driven.

The referenced Onkyo TX-NR828 S&V bench test was more than acceptable.  Very good in stereo, more than adequate with 5 channels driven and 7 channels driven.

0.1% THD/1.0% THD

2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8 ohm loads 147 watts/172.1 watts 2 Channels Continuously Driven, 4 ohm loads 204.4 watts/246.9 watts

5 Channels Continuously Driven, 8 ohm loads 109.9 watts/125.5 watts

7 Channels Continuously Driven, 8 ohm loads 78.5 watts/96.8 watts

With all that said, I think the 929 will be plenty of power for Vitor's HT setup unless he is trying to fill a large room with crazy loud volumes.

Bill

Edited by willland