Older Klipsch Speaker Help Needed

tsfrance

Hello.  I am new to the forum and glad to have found it.  Im hoping to get some help on some older Klipsch speakers that I had in my home speaker system.  They were purchased around 2000 or 2001 and they can be set down or mounted on the wall.  I have not used these speakers in quite a few years and we are downsizing so I am going to put them on Craigslist.  There are 4 of the surround speakers and one of the center speakers.  There are no model numbers at all on these.  I have included a photo and I would be very appreciative if anyone can give me some info on these and what I should ask for them. There is a link to a photo, please just ignore the subwoofer. Thank you for any help you can give me.

tsfrance

IMG_0140_zpsoaf2jnvq.jpg

Edited by tsfrance

You have the Klipsch Quintent Generation I series. I sold them with a sub and a receiver last year for $150. You could probably get $50 for them. The Sony sub probably doesn't bring much additional value to the table.

• Like 1

First of all, when you list them make sure you spell it correctly. It's Klipsch.  You can review Ebay and get values, but I'd start at about $50 for the set and see if you get bites.

Thanks.  Sorry about the spelling as that was my keyboard.  Do you mean $50 for all 5 speakers?  If that's the value I may as well give them away as it's not worth the trouble.  Im not exactly sure but i thought I paid about $600 for the 5 speakers.  I guess speakers lose a lot in value?

I paid about $600 for the 5 speakers.

Man, I sure hope not. In my opinion, the 5 speakers are worth about the $50.00 others have commented on. The sub may be worth $ 20.00 so maybe ask $ 70.00 and let it all go for $ 50.00 ? Sorry my friend. 

Edited by mxr dad
  • Like 1

First of all, when you list them make sure you spell it correctly. It's Klipsch.  You can review Ebay and get values, but I'd start at about $50 for the set and see if you get bites.

Thanks.  Sorry about the spelling as that was my keyboard.  Do you mean $50 for all 5 speakers?  If that's the value I may as well give them away as it's not worth the trouble.  Im not exactly sure but i thought I paid about $600 for the 5 speakers.  I guess speakers lose a lot in value?

A lot goes into that. First is cosmetic condition. My set was in fair condition, but they were quite obviously used. The other issue is...they're quintets. It's not the floorstanding/bookshelve speakers that Klipsch is actually known for. The new Quintet's MSRP for around $500 and have better horns, and midranges. The speakers only respond so much, and they really don't produce the soundstage someone would be expecting from a larger speaker.

Hence the pricetag. Your location also matters some, but you will be hard pressed to get $100 back out of them. At that price, you could easily find a pair of nice bookshelves that'd blow the quintet's out of the water.

Those should have been around $500 brand new, and yes, $50 is fair for all five if all the drivers actually work. Give them to your kid or niece / nephew.

Roger

Thanks everybody.  I appreciate the info a lot.  Im pretty sure I bought those for $600 but it may have been $400 and $200 for the subwoofer.  Im positive I paid $200 for that subwoofer though.  It was all at Best Buy.  I have a receiver also that I bought at the same time.  Its a Sony STR DE 895.  I guess i would be lucky to get $100 for everything.  I would have to do that on Craigslist.  Thanks again for the info.  It was really helpful.

• Like 1

Not all Klipsch gear depreciates this bad. If you would have bought used, you wouldn't have been realizing most of that depreciation, but that's the way everything is.

If you ever want to get into some serious Klipsch speaker which you can sell for what you paid, just ask. You can buy, try, sell, and have every dime back if not more than you paid. People here do it all the time.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

If you can show me that the nameplate on the bottom of those speakers' grilles says 'Klisp' I will give you $500 for the set :ph34r: .  You can keep the subwoofer.  :D

If you can show me that the nameplate on the bottom of those speakers' grilles says 'Klisp' I will give you $500 for the set

Thats dangerous these days with photo shop. DO NOT SAY THIS TO YOUTH! He WILL show you. 

Not all Klipsch gear depreciates this bad. If you would have bought used, you wouldn't have been realizing most of that depreciation, but that's the way everything is.

If you ever want to get into some serious Klipsch speaker which you can sell for what you paid, just ask. You can buy, try, sell, and have every dime back if not more than you paid. People here do it all the time.

Thank you.  That is good to know.  Appreciate it.

• Like 1