Jeff Beck.... I don't get it (him)

Coytee

I've seen him a couple times (concerts on TV or a guest visit)

He's considered in that upper tier of players.  Ok, I can respect that.

What is it that makes him so good?? (realize I don't and never have played the guitar)

Is it the order of the notes he plays?  Perhaps the way he bends them??

I've tried to watch the show but frankly.....  it simply bores me.  I have never been able to watch maybe more than 2-3 songs so I finally deleted the show.

I don't mean to sound as negative as this may sound but for my money, he's rather pedestrian.

I hear Gilmour play and I can 'get' the emotion & passion on some of his soaring solos.

Beck?  I don't get.  What is it about his style is what puts him up there with some of the better players?

Heh...  I'm a troll.  (no, I'm not kidding)

On DTV, they have channel 340 which is ...  (something like) Access.  I forget.

Regardless, it was 'his' show.  Small venue.  Had a gal on the bass.  I wondered if it might be his daughter.  (not saying it was, I just wondered)

how to word the next part....

There have been times where I've heard something, liked it and after finding out who it was, acquired some of their stuff.

That cycle of discovery has evidently never happened (knowingly) on any of his work.  I may have heard some of his early stuff....and may not.  I can tell you for example, I've heard Comfortably Numb on the radio and in the house.  I can tell you who did it.

I can not (knowingly) tell you anything that JB has done.  Perhaps it's simple ignorance on my part and if I heard 'such & such' I'd have a wow moment, not realizing it's his material.

I kept waiting for that moment during that concert that I deleted.  To tell the truth, I was kind of stoked to finally hear a bunch of his stuff and know it was his (in case I've heard things before and not known it was his material).

I'll admit I didn't watch the whole show.  It simply did zero for me.  Nothing, nada.  I'd rather watch C-span cover the floor of the Senate at 2:00 in the morning.

I was a bit hesitant on asking as it seems it would be similar to asking who Eric Clapton might be. 

I just sat there for the several songs I heard.....scratching my head.  Didn't get it and turned it off (deleted the show).

Perhaps it's simple ignorance on my part

Yes it is.  He was in the yardbirds.  Page and Beck from that time is very close.  Page went the hard core blues rock zeppelin way and Beck went the more jazz rock fusion way.  Beck is so much better than Gilmour it's not even a conversation.  Edit:  He is also so much better than Clapton.  It's his style, his tasty riffs, his sustain....so much more to say...suffice it that Santana and Beck are easily in the same league.

Edited by oldtimer
  • Like 4

• Moderators
Regardless, it was 'his' show. Small venue. Had a gal on the bass. I wondered if it might be his daughter. (not saying it was, I just wondered)

I think that is it, Live at Ronnie Scott's, seen that show also, the girl is not his daughter but I can't remember who she was. But she was really doing great on that bass. :emotion-21:

He is really good but a little different as far as his style as far as how he acts on stage.

• Like 1

He never made it big in the mainstream because he did not go with the rock and roll flow.  That and apparently he was a real bear to work with.   He kind of reminds me personality wise of Steve Howe.  Steve just wants to play, to do his thing, and that's about it.

• Like 1

It's been uncommon in my experience to learn of those who don't consider Jeff Beck to be among the most innovative and talented guitar players of recent decades. Absolutely refined, tasteful...astonishingly insightful and sophisticated musicianship. In my opinion. But there are those who have told me John Bonham was, without doubt, the best drummer of all time. My opinion is not in alignment with that sentiment, but I think he complimented the music of Led Zeppelin well enough. Certainly a case of each to his or her own.

To get to the reason behind Beck's long-lasting following you really have to go back and listen to his stuff from the beginning to now...yardbirds, etc...those works mentioned above...Beck-Ola, Beck/Bogert/Appice...kinda like walking along holding his hand as he goes thru the changes that most MUSICIANS eventually go thru...then you can put it all together and understand...just a suggestion...but I find that is also the way to define anybody as a musician today...by following their progression from the beginning to now...(or end for those no longer with us)...sometimes it is a real eye-opener!

This past Friday night he opened for ZZ Top in south FL. I had never even heard of him before I bought the tickets($10 on Groupon). Wow, I was impressed to say the least. I know being out on a beautiful night(outdoor amphitheater)with good friends and a cold one helped set the scene but I did stop to get a good listen. I did not know anything but his covers. Memorable were some SRV and Stevie Wonder. And yes, the woman on the bass was quite good as well.

ZZ Top is now officially scratched off of the concert bucket list... 

• Like 2

Someone once asked me, and I never really understood WHY...."Who is a better guitar player?...Ronnie Montrose or Rick Derringer?" So I just looked at the person for a minute...and said "they actually go well together"...and I got the WEIRDEST LOOK from the guy...but, then again, I'm and old Edgar Winter White Trash Band and Edgar Winter Group fan, ya'know??

• Like 1

I am not a huge fan of Beck's either but he has had some fantastic tunes over the years. He was a mainstay with Rod Stewart for a while too. I believe it is Tal Winkenfeld playing bass. I have always enjoyed Joss Stone too, and I think she sings with hi in the Ronnie concert linked. I always enjoy "Somewhere over the Rainbow" he plays. So cool how he lets the guitar speak through it.

Edited by teaman

• Moderators

Really like this discussion!!  Sure, sometimes he's a little out there, but, who isn't?   His bass player is an Aussie, Tal Wilkenfeld.  I think she compliments him very, very well.

Tal hasn't been with for a few years, new bass player, she is better, different drummer, that is it, oh and the lead singer from Wet Willie.

Saw him last week with ZZ Top, he wailed, like he always does.

I saw the Who a few days before that, Pete comes out and says Jeff Beck is here tonight, so the pressure is on.

He is a guitarist's guitar player. The lead singer for his first two albums after the Yardbirds was Rod Stewart.

Live at Ronnie Lane's is pretty much a jazz show, and if yir not into that it isn't going to fly. There is a track where Clapton comes out and they do Bluebird together and Beck plays slide. Check out who is in the audience for that show, totally into it.

He can make a guitar sound like a harmonica, an organ, whatever. He played a Hendrix tune, to perfection, blues, r and b, rock, jazz, and his own progressive stuff.

He came out for two songs with ZZ and he and Billy Gibbons tore it up. They played for 20 minutes together, Dusty was a machine, and with Frank, that is a rhythm section that is tough to beat.

Plays with his thumb and just goes to town. He plays as such a high level that some of his guitars have an inverted head stock so he can stretch strings differently. He did not utter a single word the entire night. If you have a chance to see him on this tour I cannot reccomend it highly enough.

Travis

• Like 2