Jeff Beck.... I don't get it (him)

Coytee

• Moderators

This past Friday night he opened for ZZ Top in south FL. I had never even heard of him before I bought the tickets($10 on Groupon). Wow, I was impressed to say the least. I know being out on a beautiful night(outdoor amphitheater)with good friends and a cold one helped set the scene but I did stop to get a good listen. I did not know anything but his covers. Memorable were some SRV and Stevie Wonder. And yes, the woman on the bass was quite good as well.

ZZ Top is now officially scratched off of the concert bucket list...

What did you think of the instrumental Beatles tune, A Day in the Life?

What did you think of the singer, Jimmy Hall?

Jeff Beck, needless to say is an Icon. I understand what the Op is saying. To me, I see sometimes where the music doesnt flow. Not to say its bad, just sometimes takes it into an area where it seems forced. I guess a great comparison (not of the musicians but rather that "feeling") the first time I saw Stevie R Vaughn shredding a guitar, I remember just starring in awe and it consumed me while watching him. I didnt want to look away. With JB, I get that feeling too but after a few minutes, I find myself not "locked in" anymore. Its still enjoyable for me to watch him though and he is no doubt a great musician. 

Not everyone "gets" Jeff Beck. He's one of the original rock guitar hero's, along with Clapton, Page and Hendrix. He has his own definitive style and great command of the instrument. That being said, it took me many years to come to really appreciate his playing, and I've been playing guitar for almost forty years. I recommend these albums, Wired, Blow by Blow and Truth. As well, Flash, from the late 80's, has some good stuff on it too. When all is said and done, you just might not dig him, and that's o.k.

• Like 3

MXRdad its partly because you watch them instead of only listening to them.  My opinions about musicians have always been purely from a listening perspective first.  (oldtimer rant)  Back in my day we didn't have these things called video when we listened to music.  We had radio and tapes and vinyl .  Records we called them.  And we liked it!

• Like 1

• Moderators

This might help some understand him, this was for his second induction ceremony at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The first two minutes are Beck's Bolero, written for him by Jimmy Page. Then JP comes out, and plays backup for his long time friend on a Zeppelin tune and Beck just shreds it.

https://youtu.be/xoPUDOgcFWY

This past Friday night he opened for ZZ Top in south FL. I had never even heard of him before I bought the tickets($10 on Groupon). Wow, I was impressed to say the least. I know being out on a beautiful night(outdoor amphitheater)with good friends and a cold one helped set the scene but I did stop to get a good listen. I did not know anything but his covers. Memorable were some SRV and Stevie Wonder. And yes, the woman on the bass was quite good as well.

ZZ Top is now officially scratched off of the concert bucket list...

What did you think of the instrumental Beatles tune, A Day in the Life?

What did you think of the singer, Jimmy Hall?

The Beatles song was outstanding. Not much a fan of theirs and it did take me a second or two to know what it was. Great cover. The singer did not do much for me. Not good or bad but I didn't feel he did the group any justice.

I would go see that concert again at full price!

• Like 1

.... Beck went the more jazz rock fusion way... 

I started with Beck "Truth" in 1968. Some great tunes on that disc. He moved into Progressive jazz and you either get it or you don't. His instrumental "A day in the Life" is magic. If you don't like that, you are soulless. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

.... Beck went the more jazz rock fusion way...

I started with Beck "Truth" in 1968. Some great tunes on that disc. He moved into Progressive jazz and you either get it or you don't. His instrumental "A day in the Life" is magic. If you don't like that, you are soulless.

I was going to say something along those lines, but chickened out. A a bunch of younger people were around us literally crying. They asked what it was a I and I told them it was the Beatles, they were blown away.

I don't understand why a lot of rock is popular. I get the same feeling about the eagles and so much rock. You can only here the same songs over and over so many times. I've been burnt out on the stuff for years except for some Hendrix, Crimson, Beefheart and Zappa. Live at Ronnie's I thought was alright. I've resorted to world music of all forms to find new sounds.

• Like 1

I believe it is Tal Winkenfeld playing bass.

Tal Wilkenfeld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tal_Wilkenfeld

Tal_Wilkenfeld_-_2007_-_Transformation.j

Born: 2 December 1986 (age 28) Sydney, Australia

Genres: Jazz, jazz fusion, blues-rock, rock

Occupation(s): Musician, composer, bandleader

Instruments: Bass, guitar, vocals

Years active: 2002-present

Associated acts: Jeff Beck, Steve Lukather, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jason Rebello, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Wayne Krantz, Jeff "Tain" Watts, Keith Carlock, Ryan Adams

Edited by Chris A

Call me Joni Mitchell, but I see Both Sides Now.

I still remember an afternoon in March of 1975; I was blown away when a guitar playing friend excitedly ripped (different meaning in those days) the shrink-wrap from the just released Blow By Blow, placed the disc gently on the platter of my AR-XB turntable, and dropped the Shure V-15 III onto the first track. The sound blasting from the Bose 901s pushed by 400 watts of Dynaco SS power was visceral . . . You Know What I Mean?

Today, the Bose 901s are replaced by DIY Fostex single drivers powered by a tiny 7297 chip amp and augmented by 4 DIY Tapped Horn subs powered by an iNuke1000dsp. Sadly, the AR and V15 are gone. A Pono player is now the source. Times and tastes change, but Jeff Beck does not.

IMO, his talent is unassailable. He is well deserving of membership in the RARHOF. Nonetheless, I can understand Coytee's reaction. I must now take Mr.Beck in infrequent small doses. At my age, if elation lasts more than 4 hours, I must consult a physician. The thing I find most off-putting is his appearance.

Beck looks like a cross between Lady Gaga and Mike Ilitch, only they both have better guns. What's with the sleeveless shirts, bracelets and go-go boots? Eric Clapton looks and dresses his age. Even Jimmie Page seems comfortable with being 71.

Beck's interpretations of Nessun Dorma at Crossroads and A Day In The Life at his HOF induction are moving examples of his immense talent. Unfortunately, the fact that he looks like a cartoon detracts from the experience for this 66 year-old fart. The best that can be said is that he dresses how he does because he doesn't care what we think. I can respect that, while disagreeing with the wisdom.

His talent shouldn't need the enhancement of costumes (unlke Lady Gaga, Kiss, Alice Cooper, et al). To me, it's like NHL Hockey fights, they're phony and only serve to cheapen the product. But that's a topic for another thread.

YMMV

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Could it be that the Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's video was simply mixed too loud, making the performance fatiguing?

That's more than my bet - I'd be willing to place a little money on it.  I've got that video on Blu-Ray, and while I enjoy watching certain selections (usually one or two numbers) at one sitting, I find the entire recording to be too fatiguing.

Blow by Blow (restored) is a different story entirely.

Chris

Beck is one of those fine talents I've only paid marginal attention to over the years, but at least he's gotten some recognition for it. There are any number of really good musicians out there with great skills but little recognition because they're not 'front' men. James Burton comes to mind (lead guitar for Elvis and others back when). One of the better keyboard guys (Hammond player) I've heard in recent years plays with Stephen Stills and (when together) Crosby, Stills &Nash. Darned if I can think of his name right now, but he's excellent. Another is Jerry Douglas (Dobro) who often plays with Allison Krause.

Debates/discussion over 'who's best' almost always leave out many of the best.

I believe it is Tal Winkenfeld playing bass.

Tal Wilkenfeld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tal_Wilkenfeld

Tal_Wilkenfeld_-_2007_-_Transformation.j

Born: 2 December 1986 (age 28) Sydney, Australia

Genres: Jazz, jazz fusion, blues-rock, rock

Occupation(s): Musician, composer, bandleader

Instruments: Bass, guitar, vocals

Years active: 2002-present

Associated acts: Jeff Beck, Steve Lukather, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jason Rebello, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Wayne Krantz, Jeff "Tain" Watts, Keith Carlock, Ryan Adams

She's REALLY good.

• Like 2

This might help some understand him, this was for his second induction ceremony at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The first two minutes are Beck's Bolero, written for him by Jimmy Page. Then JP comes out, and plays backup for his long time friend on a Zeppelin tune and Beck just shreds it.

https://youtu.be/xoPUDOgcFWY

Holy Cow, thanks for posting. How many mega guitarist are on stage playing in "Train kept rolling"?    Sadly, what guitarist will be around 20-25 years from now that most anyone can immediately identify with?