Jeff Beck.... I don't get it (him)

Coytee

I was wrong. I take it all back. Mr. Beck may dress any way he chooses. He is a serious artist.

I just enjoyed an interview regarding the session at Ronnie Scott's:

and another interview:

He certainly doesn't need my approval, but he has it. Edited by DizRotus

I have not listened to JB much myself, but this is basically the way I feel about Bruce Springsteen. I just don't get how he earned the nickname " the boss " when in mho he has one album worth owning, born in the USA. I get why Elvis is the king, and MJ the king of pop, but the boss thing, well I don't get that. I think he surrounded himself with some great players but the nickname don't match the man.

I have not listened to JB much myself, but this is basically the way I feel about Bruce Springsteen. I just don't get how he earned the nickname " the boss " when in mho he has one album worth owning, born in the USA. I get why Elvis is the king, and MJ the king of pop, but the boss thing, well I don't get that. I think he surrounded himself with some great players but the nickname don't match the man.

Maybe he's the Boss because of all the albums he sold :D

• Moderators

I think that mainly derives from his live shows. I saw him live at the LA forum, incredible live show, but he never really resonated with me for listening.

I think the "album" to have is his Live '75-'85 vinyl 5 LP set. I can listen to those from time to time.

He has amother LP that is him sitting in a room with a guitar and a microphone that is well worth picking up.

Travis

The article in the link below discusses various nicknames and states; [The defiantly blue-collar Springsteen, meanwhile, dislikes his moniker, The Boss. "In the early days when he and the E-Street Band played gigs in small venues, it was Bruce's job to collect the money and pay the rest of the band," says Mr Delahunty. "This led them to start calling him The Boss, a nickname which has stuck."]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7829013.stm

Here is a video where Jeff Beck shows various guitars in his collection.  The video starts where you can see the sadness in his eyes as he talks about the Telecaster he got in an inadvertent trade for his legendary 1954 Fender Esquire that he used with the Yardbirds on songs such as "Shapes of Things," "I'm a Man," "Heart Full of Soul," and "Over Under Sideways Down," among others; for which he realizes he can never play again. 

Jeff Beck Guitar Collection

https://youtu.be/0YB9EX7YpFk

jeff-beck_esquire-001.jpg

post-36163-0-03420000-1433120933_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

• 1 year later...

I have thought about the original ? and the answer is (unless I missed it). His style of playing is very unique and also very difficult. He is well respected by guitar players for that talent/creativity. That said, after the Scotts show I want to take his whammy bar, as he has abused the privilege . I would like to see him play a full show with a Les Paul, no tremolo...........

Do yourself a favor and watch Jeff Beck's Rock n' Roll Party. His playing is phenomenal and diverse as he plays tribute to Les Paul (and others). You won't be disappointed.

Also - If you skim through his catalog, the diversity of his style and playing will simply blow your mind. If you are a musician, perhaps you will appreciate him even more. FYI - He does not use a plectrum. That is to say, a guitar pick. Impressive in itself.

I could go on and on about him but if you are exposed to small sample of his playing, you might not "get it".

• Like 1