Jeff Beck.... I don't get it (him)

Coytee

There is no denying Jeff Beck's talent, he is a guitar virtuoso. that doesn't mean he is for everyone. After hearing so much about the Live at Ronnie Scott's video I finally saw it and was underwhelmed. His playing was technically great but he was preoccupied with the whammy bar and too  much vibrato. Similar to the great Alan Holdsworth veering too much into his "Synthaxe" playing.

I did see Jeff Beck tour on his "Wired" album back in the day with the Jan Hammer group, including Narada Michael Walden on drums, and thought it was great. Not sure I would make the effort these days.

I've always really liked Blow by Blow.  My college roommate had the CBS Master Sound half speed mastered LP and it was in the regular rotation of the LPs that we listened to.  That was 1981-1982  (unfortunately a pipe broke in the duplex we rented which destroyed 150 of his LPs that were stored on the floor; my LPs - only about 50 at the time - were off of the floor and were OK).

Anyways.., I still listen to my 35-year-old "run of the mill" Blow by Blow LP when I'm in the right mood. One of these days I think I'll buy the SACD version and give it a try.  The Ronnie Scott video is worth buying IMO (I bought a copy after hearing/seeing it at a Klipsch Forum locals meet up at Chris A's place several years ago).

• Like 1

Perhaps it's simple ignorance on my part

Yes it is.  He was in the yardbirds.  Page and Beck from that time is very close.  Page went the hard core blues rock zeppelin way and Beck went the more jazz rock fusion way.  Beck is so much better than Gilmour it's not even a conversation.  Edit:  He is also so much better than Clapton.  It's his style, his tasty riffs, his sustain....so much more to say...suffice it that Santana and Beck are easily in the same league.

Wow, someone else who thinks highly of Carlos. Completely different sounds but I think Clapton is right there with him. OTOH Beck was great live years ago ,IDK how he is today, I was thinking of catching him in Chicago at the theatre.

Perhaps it's simple ignorance on my part

Yes it is.  He was in the yardbirds.  Page and Beck from that time is very close.  Page went the hard core blues rock zeppelin way and Beck went the more jazz rock fusion way.  Beck is so much better than Gilmour it's not even a conversation.  Edit:  He is also so much better than Clapton.  It's his style, his tasty riffs, his sustain....so much more to say...suffice it that Santana and Beck are easily in the same league.

I agree….I'm a huge Page fan, Beck is right there with him, and I think Crapton, I mean Clapton, is well behind both. Clapton never did it for me, I always thought his playing was predictable, even boring at times. 

I hear ya.  What I don't understand is why you would rather fart the first four notes of Ludwig Van's ninth instead of his fifth?

I know the 5th has that iconic first 4 notes, but the 9th is a better symphony. I think the 9th is the greatest piece of music ever assembled, it was his last work. I guess it would be hard to fart Ode to Joy though, four noted just wouldn't do it.

I believe it is Tal Winkenfeld playing bass.

Tal Wilkenfeld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tal_Wilkenfeld

Tal_Wilkenfeld_-_2007_-_Transformation.j

Born: 2 December 1986 (age 28) Sydney, Australia

Genres: Jazz, jazz fusion, blues-rock, rock

Occupation(s): Musician, composer, bandleader

Instruments: Bass, guitar, vocals

Years active: 2002-present

Associated acts: Jeff Beck, Steve Lukather, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jason Rebello, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Wayne Krantz, Jeff "Tain" Watts, Keith Carlock, Ryan Adams

She's REALLY good.

Nice voice, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWHszh0JHPE

I don't know JB's discography well at all, but really like 'Where Were You' and 'Two Rivers' off Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop.

I don't get Jeff Beck either. I file him under the "I can appreciate his talent and  respect what he did....,but.... I don't like it, and would never intentionally play it"- heading. That being said, I'm sure that we all have favorites that others don't appreciate as much as we do, or they downright hate it.

I for instance, really don't like The Who or The Beatles. But, "I can appreciate his talent and  respect what he did....,but...".

No amount of exposure or accolades would make a difference. I like what I like, and I know what I like when I hear it.

The best I can do is to not be intolerant of others preferences, and to not expect everyone to appreciate the same music I do. It sure is awesome when I find someone who does though.

• Like 2

This discussion reminded me of the story of a press guy asking Jimi Hendirx what it's like to be the worlds greatest guitarist and Jimi replied," I don't know. Why don't you go and ask Rory Gallagher."

This is probably another myth that got in our culture's psyche. I've heard the same story mentioned with different guitarists mentioned, one of them being Phil Keaggy. It is also false, as Snopes has reported:

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/keaggy.asp

Although, Keaggy was and still is an incredible guitarist.

Bruce

Regardless, it was 'his' show. Small venue. Had a gal on the bass. I wondered if it might be his daughter. (not saying it was, I just wondered)

I think that is it, Live at Ronnie Scott's, seen that show also, the girl is not his daughter but I can't remember who she was. But she was really doing great on that bass. :emotion-21:

He is really good but a little different as far as his style as far as how he acts on stage.

Since I'm a JB fan (also Joe Bonamassa), and have seen him many times, the easiest summary is: He is a Guitarist's guitarist. When he played the Detroit Opera house, Dr. D, the Director of the Michigan Opera (also best of friends with Pavarotti, and I photographed them together 20 yearsa ago) told me Jeff Beck was his favorite guitar player.

Jimmy Page was too busy to replace Eric Clapton in the Yardbirds, so he recommended Jeff Beck. they have been friends since they were 11 years old. Jimmy Page, in a Creem magazine interview, once said he didn't think he was the best guitar player, but said: "When he's "on," no one in the world can touch Jeff Beck." He gave the Yardbirds the most creative 1 1/2 years of their carreer, gave Rod Stewart his start in 1968. He is also credited for starting "heavy metal" with some of his licks back then, which Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin was heavily influenced by in their time together in the Yardbirds (Jimmy Played bass and second guitar to Jeff in the Yardbirds days before forming Led Zeppelin). He also inducted Jeff into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame both as a a solo player, and as part of the Yardbirds. Joe Satriani and his prize student, Steve Vai, both said they would like to take lessons from Jeff Beck.

Jeff is THE best vocal accompaniment guitar player on the planet, period. Check out what he did with American Idol's Kelly Clarkson. He has played with Stevie Wonder and turned down an offer to be a Rolling Stone. He was also Les Paul's favorite guitarist, and did a post mortem tribute to Less on Blue Ray a few years ago. In the audience were who's who in the Rock Star world listening to Jeff do, note for note, the hottest guitar players from the 1950's as well as the most difficult Les Paul licks. So, Mr. Coytee, if you had waited a bit longer, you would have heard some vocalists join Jeff, as well as Eric Clapton himself later in the show. The bass player was the then 21 year old (who looks 12) discovered by Vinnie Caliutta, one of the best drummers on the planet. Jeff thought she sounded like Jaco Pastorius, who was considered the best electric bass player of the last century.

Jeff played guitar to Beth Hart's vocals on the 2013 tribute to Buddy Guy and Led Zeppelin at the Kennedy Center. It's worth a watch on You Tube.

If you are not a Jeff Beck fan, as is Joe Bonamassa (Eric Clapton Jr. IHMO), then you don't know guitar and you are forgiven.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

If you are not a Jeff Beck fan, as is Joe Bonamassa (Eric Clapton Jr. IHMO), then you don't know guitar

Heh...I think I mentioned that I don't play.

That show is coming on again pretty soon (maybe within a week?)

I've set it up to record again....will try to watch it agin.

I just hope Cspan doesn't do a "Here's Hillary on the floor of the Senate review" as I'm apt to watch it in lieu of the JB show.

:o

• Like 1