Roon

Both. It handles music management and playback, with tight Tidal streaming integration. I'm still tinkering with it and trying to reshape my approach to playback. Each day I'm liking it more and more. The annual price tag is a big pill to swallow (the lifetime license even more so), but it's not unwarranted in light of all the licensed database access they require for the service to work. I just need to decide if it provides enough added value to my system for it to be justified.

Here's a couple of threads on the Computer Audiophile forum, some of which is useful (some of it isn't):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/official-roon-user-impressions-thread-24430/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/roon-labs-software-23986/

And the Roon Labs forum:

https://community.roonlabs.com/

I have been a 'Computer Audiophile' for over 5 years. I have over 1 Terra Byte of Music ripped to a Hard Drive that I most never Play anymore. Mostly because I use Spotify which has over 25 Million Tracks to choose from.  I use a Squeezebox Touch into a DAC. Can you briefly tell me what this service could do for me? IOW ...Is this another streaming service?  or something else entirely ???  I just can't understand exactly what this service would give me.  Can you explain Simply ?

It takes all of your local music files and runs them against the top tier metadata services to pull as much information as possible, then sorts it all out and presents it to you through the Roon interface, giving you access to new levels of organization and correlation within your libary. It also tightly integrates the Tidal streaming service to either help you find new music or fill in the album gaps within your library, presenting it all as a single pane of glass for music access. "Need" is purely subjective. 

It takes all of your local music files and runs them against the top tier metadata services to pull as much information as possible, then sorts it all out and presents it to you through the Roon interface, giving you access to new levels of organization and correlation within your libary. It also tightly integrates the Tidal streaming service to either help you find new music or fill in the album gaps within your library, presenting it all as a single pane of glass for music access. "Need" is purely subjective. 

So, If I listen to Spotify pretty much 100% of the time, this Roon Service will not do anything for me. Correct ?

So then, the Roon service itself doesn't host or stream... it merely is an interface for organization (albeit an extremely good one)?

It's not a repository?

Edited by Schu

So I am trying out the Roon thing. A couple of ? Can I have both Windows and OS X with one subscription? What is a remote computer? iPad app?

I have several drives iinternal (in office, P/C) and external (at router) with tunes. i want to display the roon interface on living room TV and control from there.

Available:

iPAD, AppleTv, MacMini, Oppo -105, Sharp smart tv (connected to the lan / interweb)