Help choosing a better center

GeneT

My home theater is an odd collection of speakers with the KG5.2 as mains. About 10 years ago I got an SC1 because it has a horn and fit nicely in my cabinet. Everything sounds good, but I am sure the SC1 is the weakest link in my setup right now. I am looking for a KV3 as I have read it may be the best match for the KG's. It also comes in an oak finish which would match my room better(and would be visible as it won't fit in the cabinet). However, I wonder how much difference it really makes as the receiver compensates for a different speakers anyway.

Would I end up being happier with an RC52 II? That would fit in my cabinet so black is OK, and anything else would need to sit on the cabinet below the TV, so height is limited to 7.5". There is no rush to change, only a desire to know what to look for.

Here is my setup: Xover at 80hz (all speakers set small except the KG's)

Pioneer SC-81
7.2 - Klipsch KG5.2, SC1 center, KSB2.1 SB, Acoustech sides
SVS 20-39PCI & JBL E250P Subwoofers

Appreciate any insights. Thanks, Gene

The KV-3 is not the timbre' matched center for the KG 5.2's, the KG 2.2V is.  That is the one that you should seek.  The RC-52II will stick out like a sore thumb when the movie or audio soundtrack pans across the front stage.  You will even tell the timbre' difference when running pink noise through it.  You should get three KG 2.2's two for the rear to replace the synergy series KSB 2.1, and one for the center.  They are cheap enough on the used market.  Your ears will thank you.

Edited by Frzninvt
  • Like 3

Just for reference there are different versions of the KG... the 2.2 (bookshelf) & 2.2V (center) and the slightly newer 2.5 (bookshelf ) & 2.5V (center).  There are no differences sonically, but I believe the "V" versions were video shielded so they wouldn't affect the old CRT TV's.  But either version would work and be a better match for your KG 5.2's compared to the KV-3.

http://www.klipsch.com/kg-2-2/details

http://www.klipsch.com/kg-2-2v/details

http://www.klipsch.com/kg-2-5/details

http://www.klipsch.com/kg-2-5v/details

• Like 1

I really appreciate the info. I don't see how I would use those as I don't have room near the TV. So I will live with what I have and look to replace the 3 fronts. Are the Reference series better or worse than the KG's? Or just different?

KG 2.2V is the way to go.  I would love to hear those KG 5.2's.  Have you done any updates to them?  I updated my KG3.2's with Crites crossovers and Titanium tweeters and they sound better than they ever have.  They have been retired to my bedroom 2 channel setup and I go to sleep with them running Pandora every night.

If you upgrade, the Reference II series have some good prices right now.  You may have to shop around.  I really enjoy my new setup.  It's in my sig below.  This is the first time I've had a matching system and couldn't be happier with my new toys.  I wouldn't say they are better or worse than the KG's.  They all sound great to my ears.  I'm sure you would be pleased.  You could make a nice 2 channel system with the KG's.  Just as I did.

Edited by Pintoracer

The 5.2 is my personal favorite out of all the KG line. They don't have near the bass slam as the 5.5 but the overall sound is much more balanced and sweet sounding in my opinion.

If you plan on keeping the 5.2's the 2.2 center is the best match and actually a pretty nice center channel. It's basically a mini Academy which a lot of people really like. I've actually used the 2.2 between a set of Forte's and it worked great.

If you don't have room for the KG2.2 you could always try the RC-3. It wouldn't be an exact timbre match but it would be a great improvement over what you have (and the KV-3) and its roughly the same size as the KV-3.

Crites sells upgrades for your speakers so before I went to Reference, I would consider doing that. The KG are still great bang for the buck speakers. IMO, the most under-appreciated Klipsch speaker there is.

I agree with all the above that KG-2.2 or 2.5 as a center. I use a KG2.5 between two 4.2's for my most used HT. 

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

I am thinking I could repackage a 2.2 to fit my cabinet. I may look into that. I added a picture of the front stage in my family room. I only have 8" between the TV and cabinet, Cabinet will take 7" and width up to 30". The system sounds great but I am aware of you only know once you change something.

I only became aware of the Crites upgrades recently so haven't done it yet (unsure of costs and improvements). I love the speakers and remember the process for getting them. Back in the day when you could actually audition equipment. The store had 3 speaker listening rooms, based on price. I used Bonnie Raitt as my test music. The KG5.2 were the finest by far from the middle priced room, I even preferred them to the KG5.5. The biggest improvement I have experienced lately has been the addition of the SVS 20-39PCi. Found a used one for a good price. I was shocked by the amount of sub bass in music, kettle drums and the like that were missing before. I had been using the JBL E250P which added some bass but was missing the teens and low twenties. And now I need to watch (listen) to all my favorite movies as they are a new experience.

post-61207-0-62620000-1431618988_thumb.j