Equalization

drobo

Before buying any EQ listen to it with all the controls set flat, punch it in and out of the system.

Everyone I have heard blurs detail and imaging so much that I cannot use one.

Were these analog or digital equalizers?

My experience was similar with 'middle of the road' analog EQ's. It was cool that I could shape the sound the way I wanted to hear it but came with a trade-off I couldn't live with. Not the case with digital.

I see the Behringer product mentioned in this thread several times.  As far as affordable digital equalizaton goes does anyone have an opinion on the dBx products or similar devices?

If I wanted to move from a MiniDSP to a better Active crossover...would I just note my settings in the Minidsp, and then input them into the new crossover? I am only thinking of this because i have heard that a Pro Active Crossover would be more transparent. Would the Yamaha  (posted up earlier) be worth the upgrade in sound?

Would the Yamaha (posted up earlier) be worth the upgrade in sound?

I can say that the Yamaha SP2060 would be a definite upgrade relative to a Dx38 for transparency and detail - as I have both and used both for 2-way Jubilee crossover duty.  I can't say anything about the Yamaha's sound quality relative to a miniDSP or Behringer, although the Behringer has noted architecture issues that effectively preclude hardware upgrades due the economics of the changes required.

The trick is to find a Yamaha SP2060 used at a lower cost than list price.

Generally speaking, transferring the settings from one crossover to another I've found to be simple, with little or no tweaks required.  I used REW to check the settings for the Dx38 to SP2060 changeover, and it required no changes whatsoever.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
There are better units than the Behringer, but you will pay several times more. If price is a factor you might consider modding the Behringer.

I've read over and over about pretty much anything analog in the DEQ2496 sucks. Sticking to strictly digital with this unit is where it will shine....and I just found that out.

Recommendations were to either mod the unit or hook it up digital going in and digital going out to another DAC of your choice. I just did the latter recently with a $27.00 DAC (FiiO D-3) and the results were dramatic. It makes the analog output stage of the 2496 sound 'grainy' in comparison.

Even though I was happy using the DAC in the 2496 initially, this change made it obvious as to what others were talking about regarding the 2496's analog stage. Now I have to wonder what a better, more expensive DAC would sound like over the FiiO......

.....it never ends.

• Like 1

Could you point us to the site or describe the mod in a bit more detail? I assume that you soldered to some bus inside the unit since it looks as if the stock outputs are all XLR analog outputs...?

I've found that it's pretty much always the analog portions of the equipment that degrade fidelity.  I think that this is overlooked quite a bit.  It's the basic architecture/format that determines digital fidelity.

Chris

Could you point us to the site or describe the mod in a bit more detail?

I didn't 'mod' the unit. I simply went into the unit's optical input and out of the unit's optical output to another DAC. Therefore, everything analog is bypassed this way.

• Like 1