What Setting For Cutoff Frequency on RSW-12?

JJkizak

What setting for cutoff frequency did you wind up with on the RSW-12?

Mine is around 60 HZ right now and if I go higher it gets very boomy but horrendously loud.

It is located under a stairway which acts as a funnel, almost like a 15 foot K-horn.

JJK

Depends (among other things) on how deep your main speakers go and how well they handle the lower end. I cross over to the sub at 40hz from KLF-30's and that works well because the 30's do a great job on the low end. I would not do that with Heresy.

I'll Try that. Does the Audessy control settings to the sub also?

JJK

As far as room correction goes, I would think that it does.  You should be able to manually override the crossover and level though, I would think.  My pre/pro uses a different type of room correction so I may not be the best one to ask this particular question to.

Guest Steven1963

The boomy bass is most likely location dependent.  Do a sub craw to determine better locations.  I would imagine in the present location there are trapped standing waves that build up.

I would agree with this. The RSW-15 is a powerful sub. Placing it in a cave with only one exit for the waves is going to create havoc. Anything you pair it with will be overpowered, as that sub has a tendency to overpower most speakers when it is properly placed. Move it out of the cave and start crossover around 40hz and work up from there to about 50hz.

The boomy bass is most likely location dependent.  Do a sub craw to determine better locations.  I would imagine in the present location there are trapped standing waves that build up.

Anything you pair it with will be overpowered, as that sub has a tendency to overpower most speakers when it is properly placed. 

We're in major disagreement on this point.  You can calibrate it to NOT overpower Bose cubes by utilizing the gain knob (not that anyone would want to :emotion-41: )

If the sub and mains overlap, you'll  get boomy bass at the frequencies BOTH the mains and the sub are playing simultaneously.  That's why I want him to set his mains to small as to utilize the receivers crossover.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

My apologies. I read the title as a 12, and then commented on the 15.  Don't ask me why. I'm sure the 12 is a bit tamer with your speakers than the 15 but same concept when talking about caves.

Anything you pair it with will be overpowered, as that sub has a tendency to overpower most speakers when it is properly placed. 

We're in major disagreement on this point.  You can calibrate it to NOT overpower Bose cubes by utilizing the gain knob (not that anyone would want to :emotion-41: )

agree with this 100%. i have demoed my 4 18's with a set of rb-51's before for a buy and they sounded perfect together 

Guest Steven1963

We're supposed to use the gain knob? I thought turning the crossover knob all the way to the left and the gain knob all the way to the right was how you set the polarity! :wacko: Silly me.

If a system if properly calibrated a sub should not overpower any of the speakers.  With  8, 18 in. woofers in my system you would think things are bass heavy and it is just the opposite.  I rarely run subs hot with music or movies and like a balanced presentation.