Cambridge Audio

vnzbd

Does anyone have  experience out there with Cambridge Audio?

Does the UK equipment have a certain sound?(I have heard their speakers sound more flat, less dynamic)

Willland(Bill) has suggested a Cambridge Audio unit, the 551R avr for a solution for a small form factor unit that does 2 ch better than most avr's and HT as well. The write ups appear to be good and I am interested but am just not that familiar with the brand. The write ups state low on bells and whistles but it has what I would be currently using. It appears that it's competition for me is the marantz nr1605.

Thank you!

Mike,

I am a bit bias but I own a 640A v2 integrated, 840C CD player/DAC, and a 751BD player.

I have previously owned two Dacmagics, two more 840C's, a 640C v2 CD player, and a 540A v2 integrated amp. 

All sounded awesome with a very neutral sound signature and very nice punch and rhythm.

I have not owned any of the Cambridge Audio AVR's though.

Bill

Bill, it might be a shorter list to tell me what you haven't owned!!!

Is there a brand you could compare it to? I am not familair with NAD but I have owned Pioneer, Sony ES, Onkyo and Marantz. For my ear the Marantz was the smoothest and warm, the Pioneer harsh, the Onkyo more dry and clinical with the Sony being just there with no notible signiture.

Wow with my discriptions maybe time to go do some A/V reviews...

Bill, it might be a shorter list to tell me what you haven't owned!!!

You are funny. :lol:

Is there a brand you could compare it to? I am not familair with NAD but I have owned Pioneer, Sony ES, Onkyo and Marantz. For my ear the Marantz was the smoothest and warm, the Pioneer harsh, the Onkyo more dry and clinical with the Sony being just there with no notible signiture.

CA is not warm at all but very detailed and "accurate", which I prefer.  If you have ever heard any 80's vintage Denon gear that is kind of what I hear with CA. 

Bill

Thanks for the feedback on that Bill. I can tell you that it may not be my cup of tea... maybe yes...

I will check with Acc4lss and see what their return policy is. It does look like a great unit and I would like to try it...

Accessories4less has a 30 day return policy with a re-stocking fee of 15%, ouch...

Mike,

Don't quote me on this but A4Less may wave that fee if you purchase something else at or greater than that value.

Bill