Choosing a Pre...

Thrasher

Well, now that my Denon AVR4311 is heading back to it's original owner, I think I am going to simply bypass getting an AVR to pair with my Emotiva XPA5 and just go with a pre for now. Was thinking about just picking up a Emotiva UMC200 that is local to me for $500 and is 4 months old with full remaining warranty. These units are now discontinued by Emotiva and their newer ones will be available mid 2016. Not waiting that long however.

I will be running my KLF30s, KLF c7, RB10s and a Dynaudio 300. All will be setup in a 15x15 room roughly. Would my money be better spent elsewhere or will this be a solid pairing?

Thank you

Edited by Thrasher
  • Like 1

I think that's a solid choice, and a good deal considering the remaining warranty, etc.  Don't know if you've dealt with Emotiva before on transferring warranty, but they've been very good and responsive regarding that.  You will need to send them the original owners contact info, your contact info, and just to be safe the serial number of the unit.  Can all be done via email with their customer service.

• Like 1

Ive said it many times but here is what I have finally learned thru trial and error. Look at the options with any pre or AVR you are considering. If a pre, you really have most of the things covered that you dont have to worry about with AVR (preouts, 12v trigger etc). But look at the remote, the room corrections software, pass through, the size of display, 4K? etc.

With AVR's there is a few more things I look at like, preouts, 12v trigger and make sure triggers are assignable, power, room correction, HDMI pass through, display size, what class of amp (A/B D etc), the remote... are buttons real small? Backlit remote? Fits in the hand OK? 4K? 3D? etc. One advantage to AVR is you can use the onboard amps for your surrounds (or whatever) and let the amp take care of the fronts. 

And of course the obvious. Do you want 5.1? 7.1? 7.2? 9.2? etc. 

I was looking at the UMC200 as well and read a couple of good reviews on the unit. I was on their forum and read a lot about them locking up. It seems that Emo will send out new user changable power supplies and that is the fix. I am sure with the warrenty you will be fine.