Adding a power amp to an avr

Zappa Freak

I have an Onkyo 805  130 watts a channel all 5 driven at 130.. I want to add a Hafler XL 600 to the front L/R chorus II....

the XL has 300 watts a channel 2 channel will that damage the klipsch or my Onkyo?

From the Klipsch spec sheet:

100 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)  Max SPL is 121 dB.

With 300 watts available I would think you could over-drive those C-2's quite easily.

But at 121 dB you would probably overdrive your ears before you overdrive those speakers.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Having had Chorus IIs in the past I know it takes a lot to get those woofers moving. I ran my XPA -5 in 2 channel @ approx. 250 wpc an the C II's never flinched. It is typically accepted that you will blow a speaker with to little wattage running into distortion than too much. With my past experience I would say go for it. One other forum member used to push his with a Crown K2 pro amp. Google those specs!

This is your mission should you choice to accept it. This post will self destruct in 5 seconds.

I have an Onkyo 805  130 watts a channel all 5 driven at 130.. I want to add a Hafler XL 600 to the front L/R chorus II....

the XL has 300 watts a channel 2 channel will that damage the klipsch or my Onkyo?

From the Klipsch spec sheet:

100 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)  Max SPL is 121 dB.

With 300 watts available I would think you could over-drive those C-2's quite easily.

But at 121 dB you would probably overdrive your ears before you overdrive those speakers.

Agree, id wire that puppy up and DO IT!  just take it easy with that Volume knob :blink:

• Like 1

If the avr calibrates things you should not be at risk for over-driving any of your speakers.  I had a Yamaha M 70  amp rated 200/400 watts on a pair of Icon VS 14 surrounds rated 75 watts continous and never had a problem even at reference.