Can I record to DVD from VHS or Dishnetwork? Please help

Karsoncookie

Ok, we have many commercial (purchased) movies on VHS, and thought if we bought a machine like this link below, we could convert the movie tapes to DVD.

scroll down to see the "recorder" and "player"- two different machines at about $80 difference--

http://sanyo-av.com/product/index.php?category=player

Now, after more research, it seems we won't be able to do this due to "Macrovision" or some other kinda blocking.

It seems, there are a few gadgets available that may simply overcome that, but it's tooo confusing.

If one of you can refer me to a EASY to use method (without involving a computer) please let me know.

Otherwise, with the "recorder" in the link, will I be able to record most (maybe not all) content from Dishnetwork?

Sure, we can do it on the Dish DVR, but want on disk for long term.

I am only asking now, because we are ready to buy a new dvd/ vhs combo, and the one with "recording" function costs double of the "same" machine that is just a "player"

If we can't dub the commercial vhs tapes to dvd, and further, if we can't record at least most stuff from Dishnetwork, there is NO point to spend double $ on the recorder vs the player.

Thank you all again, Lars

Buy a cheap home use DVD recorder, I think mine is Toshiba brand. Use your VHS player as the source into the DVD recorder. Then use the DVD recorder out to your TV. Most DVD recorders have an very easy to operate RECORD button that you can basically use to stop and start the recording. Start your VHS and get it to where you want it on the tape, press play on the vhs player, and record on the DVD recorder. Low tech and manual but it'll work just fine. The TV is really only used to make sure you know where you're at in the recording and that it's going ok. But you could also watch it while you are duplicating, if you wanted. But remember not to pause the movie unintentionally because the DVD recorder doesn't stop when you stop/pause the VHS player.

Edited by Tremors

Tremors - Yes, but supposedly that won't work because the recording will stop and display" unable to copy copywrited signal" or something like that.

If I had the machine, I would try that.

But I don't have in possession yet, and everything I read tells me it won't wok.   Lars

So, does nobody here know if Dishnetwork stuff  is in some way protected from recording to a dvd recorder? (NOT DVR)

I'm not concerned about some $80 ppv Paquino fight stuff, just like TVland, TCM, etc. Not even HBO premium stuff.
     Lars